Great write up, ive been looking for this sort of info for a while. Am i right in thinking the front dampers are £134 each for the front?

Im currently on just lowering springs and totally agree with what your saying about the crashiness, do these really make the difference?

Yes, I bought the dampers & springs from Dan at DCM Performance, as in the linked pert numbers above. And yes, no more more crashing

Crashiing onto the bumpstops and then feeling that horrible impact being taken through the car is pretty painful. When I pulled the OE dampers I roughly measured how much travel was left on the Eibach's and it was about 5mm. What chance have you got to absorb any decent hits, especially mid bend?

I guess it's just most of us want our cars to look cool which is fair enough, but over-lowering or slamming makes for a very poor handling car on any kind of out of town road.

I see the lads coming down the High Street past my work in their slammed Saxo's/106's and the like. The car is positively vibrating with NVH and that's on smooth tarmac. I don't know, maybe I would have done the same at their age, and for street cruising why not, but for me, and for fast road stuff it's just not an option :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Superb write up, just the kind of advice i've been looking for.

I wanted to sort the looks and handling of my vrs but try and keep the smoothness avoiding the bottoming out feeling you get with most lowering springs, this post is a great help.

Cheers Bonesetter :clap:

• 4 months later...

Very interesting post, nice to see someone giving it some though rather than just wanting to slam it on the ground irrespective of the consequences.

I have a question if you would be so kind, I see the VRS had lowered springs when you got it, don't suppose you have been in a standard suspension VRS and could give your opinion on how your new setup compares ride/comfort wise ?

I've had my VRS nearly 4 years and have forced myself to leave the suspension standard (apart from RARB and consule bushes) as I don't want to go down the bumpy un-comfortable route which I have done in the past with other cars, I would be interested to hear any thought you may have on this.

Thanks

Personally I'm a fan of long (or standard) suspension travel, and increased roll resistance. UK roads in general are pretty rough going, and out on heavily pitching B-roads the travel helps keep all 4 wheels in contact.so if you can stand the look of OE height, I would probably leave alone, unless you only town/city drive

You have the Jabba rarb so should have decent rotational balance. Caster bushes will help a little more with steering feel and front grip (should you find front grip an issue)

The only experience I have with OE set-up is a quick test drive of a different VRS before buying mine, so really can't comment for sure. HTH

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

B8's on Pugs - bloody nice

Why come across to VRS?

I'd had peugeots for a number of years, my desire for a vrs was started when I worked for Skoda from 2000 to 2005, I was there at the original fabia launch, and then the vrs in 03. Had numerous fabia vrs, Octavia vrs as demos, just something about the relative simplicity and strength of the pd130 engine which lured me back.

Plus I tend to do a number of euro trips and wanted something a tad better built and more economical than a pug. We go to spa and the ring in may again, so want a car with excellent suspension, with good travel and suppleness instead of being on the floor and unusable.

Hmm, not as yet!

The H & R springs might be a consideration, but they all seem to be 30mm lower.

Part of me is wondering about the fixed damper AP kit, as they are reputed to be made by KW and lower the vRS 25mm, however really want the Bilstein B8's.

I'll continue the research!!

Best of luck with the search. I would say you should be able to track down a set of those B8's. They have always been a popular damper, not to mention a very nice performer as you.

Bilstein always seem to get their valving to a sweet spot. I have a set on a classic Impreza and they behave in a similar way to the B8

After a RARB myself. Reading through the whole Whiteline vs. Jabba debates!

Same here, one mans pork is another mans chicken, as in everyone's got there own opinion lol

I'm leaning towards maybe a Jabba one, it looks more substantial than the whiteline one from what I've seen and Bonesetter above seems to rate it, and anyone with a Yellow Fabia aint to be questioned LOL!!!!!

Same here, one mans pork is another mans chicken, as in everyone's got there own opinion lol

I'm leaning towards maybe a Jabba one, it looks more substantial than the whiteline one from what I've seen and Bonesetter above seems to rate it, and anyone with a Yellow Fabia aint to be questioned LOL!!!!!

Im definitely a chicken man as well!!! ha.

yeah im thinking a Jabba one too, group buy maybe!?

• 5 years later...