Loud turbo, feels very fast

Hi there, i recently acquired a new fabia vrs pd130.

Is there anyway i can tell if its had a remap? I.e. when the power starts to kick in and fully kicks in? Or what kind of 30-50 times? I ask because it feels very rapid its an 07 plate.

Also the turbo sounds quite loud compared to a lot of other turbo diesels ive driven, it doesent sound like a police siren but the hissing noise is quite prominent with the windows open, is this normal?

Also when im doing like 10mph every turn of the wheel it sounds like something is scraping, ive had pads and discs checked and apparently thier ok, what else could it be?

best way to see if its been remapped is go on a rolling road, sounds like you have a boost leak from the piping to the intercooler, its usually the clips that wear and cause it to leak so best to put a jubilee clip round the connections.  the scraping at 10mph could be anything is the car lowered

The turbos are quite vocal on these anyway I find but if it's quite loud I'd check for boost leaks. I cable tied all my joints tight and had to replace a few pipes as the lugs had worn to get rid of my niggly boost leaks

What would happen if i didnt sort the boost leak?

The car isent lowered no

if you did not sort the boost leak the pipe would eventually come off and you would have no boost lots of smoke and do about 10mph flat out

Edited by vrsadz

Hmm i will have a look tommorow, the mpg and power seem fine but ill look anyway, it sort of hisses as it spools up and quietly whistles when spooling down.

I bought this car with a full skoda service every 10,000 miles on an 07 plate, how long do people think i will get out of it in terms of the turbo and flywheel etc?

im assuming the engine will go for a long time?

What would happen if i didnt sort the boost leak?

The car isent lowered no

If you have a boost leak and you don't fix it, then your turbo may be working harder than usual to compensate for the leak, this will shorten the life of your turbo.

The turbos are quite vocal on these anyway I find but if it's quite loud I'd check for boost leaks. I cable tied all my joints tight and had to replace a few pipes as the lugs had worn to get rid of my niggly boost leaks

Is this a normal sound https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3OC5XWwe3vAMU40VmV0RG43NTQ/edit?pli=1 ? With a load the sound is clearer.

My first car with turbo and I think it didn't make this little whistle half a year ago.

Is this a normal sound https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3OC5XWwe3vAMU40VmV0RG43NTQ/edit?pli=1 ? With a load the sound is clearer.

My first car with turbo and I think it didn't make this little whistle half a year ago.

Can't hear it too well, but it sounds like a feint whine?

You won't hear a boost leak when the car is idle as it isn't under load(creating pressure), as far as I'm aware. 

Is it normal for these turbos to have a faint siren noise when cold and even slighte but still noticeable when warmed up?

No. Well both of mine don't / didn't and neither does my friends. With that being said though people on here reckon they have seen thousands of miles out of a turbo since it started whining. Not sure how hard these people actually push the car though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I have had a whistle between 2000-2500 rpm for well over 65,000 miles and still all good!

If it still pulls over 3000 revs to 4500, it's likely been mapped!

As far as I know that siren noise usually indicates turbo wear. I could be wrong. My Aunt had the siren noise and not even 10k miles later the turbo blew.

Have you checked the top mounts and springs on the suspension, if you take a torch and shine in the wheel arch and look at the top of the strut is there lots of wear to the rubber? If not it could also be the top mount bearing. Check the springs because one may not be seated properly and its twisting and scraping on the strut as you turn the wheel. As for the remap when I had mine mapped (3 years ago now..) I didn't notice any difference to the noise the turbo made. It always had a whistle like most diesel turbos do. On mine the rev limiter was moved up to 4800rpm I think (I havent really pushed it that far that often) but I think the standard limiter is at 4500rpm, that could indicate a remap unless they didn't adjust the limiter if it has been mapped.

A rolling road will be the easiest way of knowing I don't think they cost much to have the car tested and they may test for any fault codes that aren't showing at the same time. They could probably check your suspension and steering assembly whilst you are there for a small fee.