Is my brake switch faulty? No brake lights at all!

Hi,

So the dads been using my octy vrs for the last 3 months and he's just bought a crappy celica vvti, so while driving the octy back from picking up the celica with the dad following I was told I had no brake lights at all, got it home had a look and all the bulbs and wiring seem fine so my guess is the brake switch is faulty this sort of ties in with what I was told by another brisky member as to why my car shuts off the boost some times, according to him the brake switch the pressed shuts off the boost and that's the problem I was having and now no brake lights at all so I'm guessing he's right? Can anyone shed some light on it for me how can I tell if the switch is the fault?

Hi,

So the dads been using my octy vrs for the last 3 months and he's just bought a crappy celica vvti, so while driving the octy back from picking up the celica with the dad following I was told I had no brake lights at all, got it home had a look and all the bulbs and wiring seem fine so my guess is the brake switch is faulty this sort of ties in with what I was told by another brisky member as to why my car shuts off the boost some times, according to him the brake switch the pressed shuts off the boost and that's the problem I was having and now no brake lights at all so I'm guessing he's right? Can anyone shed some light on it for me how can I tell if the switch is the fault?

yep sounds like your brake light switch under your foot pedal. This also causes cruise control to stop working.

I replaced mine last month, reasonable simple job to do. Need to be careful on setting the switch height though as per instructions that come with it.  

• Like 1

yep sounds like your brake light switch under your foot pedal. This also causes cruise control to stop working.

I replaced mine last month, reasonable simple job to do. Need to be careful on setting the switch height though as per instructions that come with it.  

would that be the reason for my boost cutting out somestimes for a sec or 2, and just to add my car dont have cruise control anyways :notme:

It's not boost cutting as such, it's the throttle that's cutting out. Drive by wire cars have a safety feature by where if accelerator and brake pedal are pressed at the same time (or duff brake switch), the car will kill the throttle as it's safer to slow down than drive flat chat into the car in front/tree/house etc.

This feature can be mapped out by the way ;)

It's not boost cutting as such, it's the throttle that's cutting out. Drive by wire cars have a safety feature by where if accelerator and brake pedal are pressed at the same time (or duff brake switch), the car will kill the throttle as it's safer to slow down than drive flat chat into the car in front/tree/house etc.

This feature can be mapped out by the way ;)

yeah throttle cut, thats what i ment, and nah i think its cheaper to just shove a new brake switch in it then map it out :angel:

yeah throttle cut, thats what i ment, and nah i think its cheaper to just shove a new brake switch in it then map it out :angel:

The point nitrovrs is making is the throttle cut is made by the ecu and drive by wire throttle as a safety feature coz your brake light switch is faulty. Replace that switch and this will also fix your throttle cut. So you won't need to map it out.
  • Like 1

Really.... a brake switch cheaper than a map..! Who'd of thought

Yes, the switch should fix the problem. Mapping will remove the 'feature' and was for info only