Vrs mk1 clutch pedal sticks down sometimes?

OctyCal

Hi,

Just had a second call out by my sister (who is currently borrowing my old man's 2003 octavia vrs).

On 2 occasions now she has come to reverse out of a parking space and the car is stuck in reverse, once she had managed to force it into neutral it then won't go into 1st to move back in to the space. Both times the clutch pedal is held depressed, by that I mean when normal the clutch and brake pedals are level but each time I have got to the car the clutch pedal is held up near the fire wall. Once you pull the pedal, it freely moves it's self back to position and the clutch works perfectly.

The clutch has perfect biting point, no different to my 53 plate vrs with 65k on it. It pulls nicely with no judder.

The pedal doesn't feel odd in any way. The pedal doesn't hang up on anything when you try to make it, no friction or resistance.

The only thing I can tell is that the gear selection from 2nd to 3rd is awkward, I've not yet tried a reset on the linkages. It had been sat for 8 months until 2 months back and the gear selection was very sticky, it wouldn't self centralise, but I lubed up the ball socket on the gear lever and all the linkages which seemed to make a big difference.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Cal

A couple of years ago mine was doing exactly the same. Pedal sticking down one or two times then fine for a few months. I ended up replacing the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and that cured the problem. I couldnt say which one solved it unfortunately as I replaced both at the same time.