Starter Motor Teeth

Fred Duck

2002 Octavia 1.9TDI. 

I've, today, removed the starter motor on my Octavia as the solenoid is not always engaging properly. The starter motor is the original and the pinion has 11 teeth. 

All the suppliers I've tried offer a replacement starter motor with 10 teeth and say that as the pinion is the same diameter as the 11 tooth version it will mesh with the flywheel teeth without a problem. I've also called the Dealer whose only answer was 'we don't know how many teeth it should have and we haven't got one in stock to check'!!

Can anyone confirm that the 11 tooth and 10 tooth pinions are interchangeable please?

Thanks, 

FD

2002 Octavia 1.9TDI. 

I've, today, removed the starter motor on my Octavia as the solenoid is not always engaging properly. The starter motor is the original and the pinion has 11 teeth. 

All the suppliers I've tried offer a replacement starter motor with 10 teeth and say that as the pinion is the same diameter as the 11 tooth version it will mesh with the flywheel teeth without a problem. I've also called the Dealer whose only answer was 'we don't know how many teeth it should have and we haven't got one in stock to check'!!

Can anyone confirm that the 11 tooth and 10 tooth pinions are interchangeable please?

Thanks, 

FD

Dont use the 10 teeth version it wont engage properly, if you cant find  a starter with 11 teeth i would suggest to repair yours.

why don't you replace the solenoid on the old starter?

The old starter is the best you can get,new aftermarket units are very poor

My advice,keep the old starter and try to get new parts for it.