Real World MPG on 1.8 Tsi

pgp001

As a recent convert from a 2004 Toyota RAV4 petrol to a 2011 1.8 Tsi Yeti, I was wondering if anyone is accurately monitoring their fuel consumption on this model Yeti.

When I say "accurately" I mean totally ignoring the blatant liar on the dashboard and doing "brim to brim" checks over a long period. My Toyota dashboard liar told me I was getting an average 38 mpg !!

Over four years motoring my RAV managed an actual average of 30.5 mpg, winter was always just slightly less than summer. I have been led to believe that I should expect around 10% better with the Yeti with the same driving style.
Can any owners out there to confirm this with actual data please ?

Thanks
Phil 

No actual data, as MPG is one of my worries in life. I just enjoy driving a 1.8 TSI Yeti and fill it up with petrol when it runs out.

I wouldn't imagine you'll get any more than the 30.5 achieved in you Rav though. My Maxidot always shows 29- 31 MPG ave, so actually it will be lower than that for sure.

I do "brim to brim" checks. All I can say is it greatly depends on the pattern (mostly length) of journeys. Sometimes I get 8L/100km (35 MPG) around town. Sometimes it is 14l/100km (20 MPG). The average mpg around town for me is about 25 (11.3L/100km).

I took delivery of my new 1.8tsi L&K exactly a week ago.  So far I'm only averaging 25mpg but I didn't buy it with economy in mind.  Previous car was a yeti 110 4x4 tdi and the petrol is just so much smoother and more refined, worth the trade off in my opinion.

My 1.8 tsi l&k averaged 30/31 mpg on a brim to brim over the summer. A one off best of 36mpg.

I filled it up this afternoon,and now the cold weather has arrived, it's dropped to 28 mpg.

It uses about exactly the same as our old series 1 Rav 4, 3 door, which was always  between 28/33 mpg.

The Yeti is much larger and faster though.

I know my Yeti is a 140 TDI, but over the 3 years I have had it, I have always recorded the MPG as I only do short runs, so it does 36 mpg through out the summer, and 35.5 MPG through out the

the winter. I will get my MPG book out and check and get an average over the 3 years. 

Long runs she will do 48.5 MPG.  Not A lot of help I know. brim to brim refills.

I have had my 1.8TSI since June 2013.  Not paid much attention to the dashboard indicator, but over 76 brim to brim refills, my average consumption has been 9.8L/100km, with a best tankful of 7.7L/100km

In UK units, this would be an average of 28.7 UK MPG over 17,010 miles, with the best tankful achieving 36.9 MPG.

These figures are for usage that is mostly short runs with the occasional 250 km to 500 km run, all done in rural NSW, Australia.

Well, here is my experience so far with the 1.8TSI:

From new and up to 15,000km (9,300mi), the overall average (city & highway) was at an unacceptable 25mpg, easily up to 23mpg on the highway when pressed hard.

Back then I saw little difference between city and typical highway driving.

Then, for the next 20,000km (12,500mi) the overall average mpg dropped to ~27mpg, with highway driving dropping to 26mpg.

Since past the 35,000km (~22,000mi), I rarely see anything below 28mpg and even for that I have to press the car really hard.

Typical city mpg is at 30mpg and at "legal" highway speed drops at 31mpg, which is about the limit (hard to get better than that - for me at least)

I have seen ~35mpg but that was under exceptional conditions and only happened once or twice so it's really an outlier.

All mpg numbers above have been measured at the pump and over a sufficiently long journey (e.g. 500mi or more on the highway) or in the case of city driving over an entire week, so to have a reliable average.

See my fuelley avatar below

The car is 6 months old & has had a 600 mile UK m'way trip, & 700 miles continental motorway  & 1200 mile continental motorway, rest are short journeys that SWMBO uses to & from work. 

If you register with fuelly & check you are looking at UK mpg you can see what others are getting.