Octavia Estate - Scout vs VRS ...

In the blue corner is a 57 plate VRS with 81k on the dash for 5k, in v good condition.

In the silver corner is an 09 plate Scout with 121k on the dash for 4.7k, not as well looked after but still in 'good' condition.

Both have FSH & 2 owners, the VRS is being sold by a family, the Scout by an independent car salesman. The Scout owner will therefore take my current Golf as PX, which is a plus side, otherwise it's autotrader for that one.

On this scant information above... Any suggestions on which one to plump for? Like them both, Scout marginally cheaper to insure - and both work for carting my wife and I, plus small child (and associate stuff) around town, and on bigger trips when required.

Many thanks for your comments.

Drive both, see which you like best.  If you like both then buy on condition, but don't forget to check the service histories of both to make sure there are no hefty bills (cambelt, haldex oil change on the Scout) waiting round the corner.

The Scout to me sounds like it could be an ex-paramedic car.

I hope they are both petrol, carting the wife around town is never good for a leggy PD sporting a well worn DPF, especially on a PD170 vRS.

See my signature picture, I ran both side-by-side. The Scout is the better family car. The boot is more useable and the increased ride height and 4x4 provide security during the winter months.

The PD140 is more reliable than the PD170 too. I'm guessing the Scout is a PD, on an 09 it is right on the cross-over to the CR engine.

I'd want to know more about the Scout's history.

There are two Scout's on Autotrader for you to use to compare the one you are looking at.

2009, silver, 130,000 miles, £4,200...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411068792719/sort/default/radius/1500/postcode/yo325zs/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/octavia/page/1/keywords/Scout/make/skoda?logcode=p

2009, silver, 130,000 miles, £4,400...

Two very similar Scouts to the one you have seen. As I said these are ex-emergency service cars...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411249208884/sort/default/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/yo325zs/usedcars/model/octavia/keywords/Scout/radius/1500/make/skoda?logcode=p

You should be able to get him down from £4,700 if they are indeed comparable.

Thanks all

The Scout is very similar to those 2 links above.... And it's also a 2.0 TDI 140.

What's the deal with para cars - assume they have been looked after well....

Think my wife is keen on the Scout for the reasons above - higher position, ease to put kids buggys in the boot etc....

Hopefully seeing it again today.

Thx

A