Bolero

Yetiflute

My Yeti has developed its first fault. Out of warranty of course. We rarely use the sound system but on one of those rare occasions last week the radio fired up as normal but with no sound. Also some operations frozen, such as volume indicator and touch screen station change. Other touch screen operations such as setup worked. Since we so rarely use it I decided to ignore it but things are deteriorating. The front/rear sensor display only comes on about 50% of the time though no loss of sensor alarm sound. I tested the Bluetooth mobile phone setup to find the the recipient of my call heard me but he was silent at my end. All the phone screens were present on the display though. I could ignore it all (I rarely use phone either and never in car) but I do like all my toys to work so I suppose an eventual expensive trip to the dealers will be called for..

Not really any questions - it's broke so get it fixed- but if anyone has any useful comments they will be welcome. Oh - is the fault likely to show on computer. If so my local repair man next door could take a look on his computer for me to see what might be wrong.

John

Battery same age as car - 3.5 years. Seems ok in other respects but a god thought. No not pulled fuse etc. Not sure of geography of fuses and also radio coding situation ???

Fuses are to be found behind the cover at the drivers end of the dash, and there is a diagram inside the cover.

Radio isn't coded as such, just needs to be recognised by the ECU, which it does automatically.

(All explained in the Handbook!)

Do a "resting" test of your battery. If it is below 12v then it is probably on it's way out.

• Like 2

Thanks for help and sensible suggestions. I can get the garage next door to test battery and will have a look at fuses when time etc allows. Thanks especially for info re coding - that reassurance being useful whether.battery or fuse ! Will update eventually when solution / cure is found.

Fuses are to be found behind the cover at the drivers end of the dash, and there is a diagram inside the cover.

Radio isn't coded as such, just needs to be recognised by the ECU, which it does automatically.

(All explained in the Handbook!)

Do a "resting" test of your battery. If it is below 12v then it is probably on it's way out.

You folks are so so useful. Thanks to Llanigraham for additional suggestion to read handbook - he often suggests this and he is so correct. Fuse for radio actually in engine bay and clearly outlined in handbook. Pulled fuse, waited a bit, put it back. Radio fired up immediately. BUT (or AND) I was just about to switch it off myself when something came on screen I have never ever seen before. A notice said "radio going to power down to save the battery". And it shut itself off. Never done that before on the rare occasions I have listened to it while sitting in car with engine off.

Surely all the above an indication that all your analysis is correct.

Many thanks indeed. A new battery just before winter sets in is not a bad thing !!

John

I leave my interior lights selected off.....I have little need for them.

I don't have the radio on without the engine running either....for me it's all about voltage and when it comes to a battery replacement I get the best CCA one that will fit.

Went to the super garage 100 yards up road where he properly tested the battery. He found it was 100% ok. He offered to get a new battery, fit it and see if it cured things (I think he thought I still had faults showing). If it made no difference he said he would put the old one back all free of charge. I thanked him but declined and with him being so close we agreed just to monitor things. Thanks to this forum and a garage on the doorstep it looks as if I've avoided an unnecessary and possible expensive visit to dealer. I'm lucky to have this super mechanic as a neighbour !!

• 3 months later...

I had my Bolero freeze on me today. I left the radio on whilst I was replacing the Front Fog Lamp (that's another story not worth mentioning here, other than it took around an hour to fit a new bulb), a message appeared telling me that I should power off the Bolero or start the engine to preserve the battery. I powered off the Bolero.

Went out in the car this evening powered on the Bolero and it was frozen, no sound, no way to increase/decrease volume, no way to change channels etc..

Remembered reading this thread so went an pulled out the fuse (no 18) and hey presto it came back to life. I lost all of my stations and phone contacts but at least it is working now.  

Thanks Briskoda !

Edited by Gnasher