Octavia hatchback opening itself

MkII L&K 2006 1.9 DSG with remote locking. The electric boot motor keeps popping the hatchback open by itself.

It's not a key problem (same problem with both main and spare key)

It's not an IT problem (excellent local independent workshop has run a diagnosis)

The problem is intermittent; it can happen when I'm unlocking the car, when I switch on, when I pull away, or when I have stopped and am locking the car. Worse still, it doesn't happen at all when the car is in the excellent local workshop.  If there's a pattern, this seems to happen most when it has been raining or humidity is high, but it also happens in dry weather.

Any ideas? Thank you.

I went through a period in the summer where this happened (or seemed to happen) several times... not happened for a while now though. 

I have put it down to accidentally pressing the boot release on the key fob... ie when turning the key in the ignition, however I have changed over to the spare now.

As you have mentioned this issue, maybe it wasn't user error?

I had a similar problem with the L&K combi. 

During a rash of excess enthusiasm, hacking down an over grown privet hedge.  I over loaded the back a little too much, having to force the tailgate closed.

The tailgate would then pop open all on its own - even when locked. 

I was beginning to have mild concerns and wondering about the expense of it all.  Then Mike Holroyd made a contribution to a thread, he mentioned in passing about lock controllers giving these symptoms.  I gave it a good spraying, wd40.

Just as it had started, it stopped after a couple of days.  Been ok since.

May be worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

slightly different issue here, when i unlock drivers side only the tailgate stays locked, if i unlock all the doors from the key or from the button inside it unlocks the tailgate and when you try and close it you can hear the actuator but it doesnt lock )(door open light on dash shows open)

anyone had this isssue (hope i explained it well enough )

if the cars locked the button from the fob works and the tailgate locks when closed

Edited by ednw