central locking help

natnif

My central locking has been playing up the last few days....I know there are a few threads on this already but I couldn't find this exact problem so don't want to go replacing parts until I'm sure what the problem is. 

Basically, when I unlock with the key fob, the drivers door stays locked. I lock it, then unlock it again and it opens as normal. I was in and out of the car 4 or 5 times today and this worked every time. I haven't tried the key in the lock yet, but with the fob it only unlocks at the second time of asking. 

So, any ideas what the issue could be?

Usually it's the lock module in the door one way of testing is open each door in turn and look at the dash and see if the door is showing as open on all of my doors where the module has gone faulty the car doesn't know when the door is open. For the money I would be inclined to change the door module anyway if they fail completely it's a real pain because you can't open the door you have to take as many screws out of the door card off and then force it of and then destroy the module to open the door. If you do the door module my tip is try it without the door card on if you've not go something right it's easier to get the door open again. There is a good mk4 golf guide how to which is the same for the octavia

Thanks for that. I locked and unlocked it a few times with the key this morning and all seems okay again....for now anyway! I'll keep an eye on it anyway and if it starts to act up I'll get it changed before it fails. 

While it's working could be worth getting in there and cleaning up the multiplug. Although it could be a bit of risk because if any pins are 'hanging by a thread' unplugging may finally do them in.

Basically, when I unlock with the key fob, the drivers door stays locked. I lock it, then unlock it again and it opens as normal. I was in and out of the car 4 or 5 times today and this worked every time. I haven't tried the key in the lock yet, but with the fob it only unlocks at the second time of asking. 

These are exactly the symptoms I had on my rear doors. On one door I took off the panel and lubricated the hell out of the lock mechanism both inside and through the door edge by the lock to get to the hard to reach places. Problem fixed after locking and unlocking a few times.

The other rear door lock started later and there I only squirted lubricant through the door edge using the plastic tube that comes with spray lubricants. Both doors have been fixed now for some years. I give a top up spray about once per year.

Still worth checking the multi-way plug in the driver's door for corrosion when the weather is better but this is not the cause of today's problem in my experience.

These are exactly the symptoms I had on my rear doors. On one door I took off the panel and lubricated the hell out of the lock mechanism both inside and through the door edge by the lock to get to the hard to reach places. Problem fixed after locking and unlocking a few times.

The other rear door lock started later and there I only squirted lubricant through the door edge using the plastic tube that comes with spray lubricants. Both doors have been fixed now for some years. I give a top up spray about once per year.

Still worth checking the multi-way plug in the driver's door for corrosion when the weather is better but this is not the cause of today's problem in my experience.

That also fixed my intermittently not locking front passenger door, did it with the card off and checked the plug while I was there but all was good. Been fine all through winter. Edited by YellowCar

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to looking at this. Having read a few other posts, I decided to have a look at the wiring first so I pulled off the rubber sleeve between the door to expose the wiring. I gave a few of the wires a little tug....and the red/black wire just kept coming! The end of it has tape around it so was obvously (badly) fixed before. I just have to pull off the kick panel and get it re-connected :)

I wish my wifes golf was as easy a fix!!