Anyone running a Superb Petrol on LPG?

The purists/petrol heads dont like LPG, mainly I think cos LPG generates less HP per litre than unleaded, but at 50% the cost id not worry, most of the LPG vehicles on Fleabay are big V8 4x4's.....if they dont mind it why should we?

make sure you get valve oiling, or there was one LPG setup i saw which is always 10% petrol to avoid valve stem burning

Ignoring the probems of valve recession etc..

My Superb 1.4 tsi is proving suprisingly economical for a large petrol car (Thus far tank-tank average over 46). I can't  help thinking that a lot of that economy comes from the direct petrol injection which would be bypassed if you convert to gas.

However balancing this out would be the higher octane level (lower energy content though) which would suit the higher compression ratios and shallow pistons of a modern engine - Soundproofing is so good these you may not hear when your petrol engine is pinking which can quickly cause piston and bore damage.

I always use higher octane petrol - I still have an old 1.416v Octavia - which in its day had a reputation for lunching pistons/bores - never had a problem in 120k miles and it doesnt burn any oil.

Will keep a watching brief re LPG but will let a few others do it first!

OK checked an lpg document from earlier research (a few years ago):-

Volkswagen Phaeton 2002> BKL 3200 cc 24V Excessive wear of valves/seats Customer

Volkswagen Golf 2005> BUB 3200 cc 24V Excessive wear of valves/seats Customer

Volkswagen Golf IV 05-2001 - 11-2003 BDE 2800 cc Excessive wear of valves/seats Inlet valves after 90.000km

Volkswagen Different types BSE 1600 cc Excessive wear of valves/seats Cylinderhead Mexico Customer

Volkswagen Different types BME 1200 cc 12V 3 cylinder engine Excessive wear of valves/seats Engine/cylinderhead Poland Customer

Edited by bigjohn

Ignoring the probems of valve recession etc..

My Superb 1.4 tsi is proving suprisingly economical for a large petrol car (Thus far tank-tank average over 46). I can't  help thinking that a lot of that economy comes from the direct petrol injection which would be bypassed if you convert to gas.

However balancing this out would be the higher octane level (lower energy content though) which would suit the higher compression ratios and shallow pistons of a modern engine - Soundproofing is so good these you may not hear when your petrol engine is pinking which can quickly cause piston and bore damage.

I always use higher octane petrol - I still have an old 1.416v Octavia - which in its day had a reputation for lunching pistons/bores - never had a problem in 120k miles and it doesnt burn any oil.

Will keep a watching brief re LPG but will let a few others do it first!

OK checked an lpg document from earlier research (a few years ago):-

Volkswagen Phaeton 2002> BKL 3200 cc 24V Excessive wear of valves/seats Customer

Volkswagen Golf 2005> BUB 3200 cc 24V Excessive wear of valves/seats Customer

Volkswagen Golf IV 05-2001 - 11-2003 BDE 2800 cc Excessive wear of valves/seats Inlet valves after 90.000km

Volkswagen Different types BSE 1600 cc Excessive wear of valves/seats Cylinderhead Mexico Customer

Volkswagen Different types BME 1200 cc 12V 3 cylinder engine Excessive wear of valves/seats Engine/cylinderhead Poland Customer

hence my comment about valve oiling with the LPG systems

hence my comment about valve oiling with the LPG systems

You have to be careful with some oiling systems - if overdone they can cause emissions/catalyst problems and they still don't always work

Interesting developments with direct Liquid injection of LPG - a lot going in Australia re this - appears to overcome some of the valve problems - keeping a watching brief