Leaking sunroof drains

km666

Recently i've been getting a fair bit of water entering my boot. I've stripped all the carpet out to observe where the water is leaking from, the main boot leak seems to be the lowest part of the seal as it always seems to 'hold water' and has a hole in it allowing it to drain into the metalwork behind and flow down into the spare wheel well. Im guessing only an all new seal will cure that leak. I took the opportunity to seal up all the usual spots as detailed in previous flooded boot topics. However I still have damp headlining at the rear and either side of the boot where the sunroof drainage pipes exit into the rear bumper seem to collect a small amount of water, the lowest point here has no drainage.

So I decided to have a look under the headlining to see exactly where its leaking and the point where the rear sunroof channels connect to the pipework was wet to the touch with a fair amount of water soaked into the headlining. However it is not clear weather its a bad connection on the pipe allowing water to run back onto the clip and drip onto the headlining or weather the point where it connects is overflowing, the part is open from above. 

So as ive tried to show below the pipe connects onto a ball joint, which is a part of the assembly arrowed in the middle diagram. Is this part likely to be overflowing or is it more likely to be the ball connection.

post-117569-0-46688800-1454861228_thumb.png

The above daigrams location on the sunroof

post-117569-0-80392800-1454860764_thumb.png

The view from below

post-117569-0-48034300-1454860798_thumb.jpg

TIA

Edited by km666

Turned out to be leaking through this part of the drainage pipe. Looking from the other end a mm gap is clearly visible between the blue pipe and the white plastic. Same on both sides.

post-117569-0-65670100-1454869408_thumb.jpg

post-117569-0-51226000-1454869425_thumb.jpg

If your does it you need to remove both rear grab handles (screws underneath the little holes you can just see with the handle pulled down), 3/4 trim and the rear section of trim and the headlining just pulls down. Mine has the foamy type shaped headlining that is held up by the surrounding trim and seals. Cloth is probably impossible to put back.

I'd start with looking at the openings these tubes lead to. The front ones drain behind the front wheel arch liners and the rear drains appear somewhere at the back of the rear wheel arch liners. These do get blocked with age and the tubes back up and water finds its way out of joins that were never designed to be fully water tight as it were. So eliminate the possibility of blocked tubes first.

Hope this helps!

Cheers! I did have issues with the fronts once, they got gunked up and the sunroof leaked around the seal. But the fronts and rears are definately clear I can blow down them with no obstructions whatsoever. I think its very strange that the channels leading to the rear drainage point are open rather than covered.

oh I didn't know there were rear drains also.

My front drivers side tube blocked last night and flooded the front carpet.

Now last month the passenger side flooded. Wasn't the tube but some part of the moulding I believe. I put some silicon around the corner areas but not sure if that has fixed it yet.

Do you know if my 2.0l ambience model (2002) has these rear drains?

Yes it will do. I only noticed mine were leaking parked facing uphill in the heavy rain we've been getting and the rear headlining was drenched, having the light coloured rooflining it was obvious where it was was wet

• 2 years later...