Felicia 1996 fuses and relays overview

Hi there,

I'm new here and from Denmark , so pardon me if i use the wrong technical terms. ;o)

I have a 1996 Skoda Felicia - I have recently changed the lightbulbs in the headlights. Everything seems fine until suddently the normal driving lights don't work anymore.. But the strong lights work fine..

So people tell me that this is probably caused by a failing relay in the fuses and relay box..

In my Felicia this is placed under the dashboard in the passengers seat.. But we don't have the instructions manual for the car, so i'm not sure which relay(s) i'm supposed to change..

Can anyone help me out with a link to or a scanned image of the fuses box with explanations as to what is what...?

Thanks in advance.. Frank

Welcome to Briskoda, Frank. :D

The relays are arranged in 2 rows above the fuses in the main fuse/relay box. Not all are fitted to every Felicia.

Top row left to right: R6 - R5 - WW - R7 - R8

Bottom row left to right: R1 - R2 - R3 - INT - R4

Relay:

R1 - Main relay

R2 - front fog light relay

R3 - rear fog light relay

R4 - heated rear screen relay

R5 - fule pump relay

R6 - warning buzzer for sidelights

R7 - relief relay for X contact

R8 - hazard warning signal relay

INT - rear wash/wipe relay

WW - intermittent wash/wipe relay

This information is from the Haynes Service and Repair Manual for the Skod Felicia - 1995 to 2001 Petrol & Diesel. ISBN: 1 85960 937 6

R1 (main relay) is the relay for the ignition 1. are you sure that both the headlight bulbs are ok? 2. the headlights are independantly fused so wouldn't have thought that both of them are blown? have you lost anything else apart from the headlights ?

Well, my first thought was to try some new bulbs. But it seems strange if this was to be the case, since i just replaced the old ones with brand new ones.. And they worked fine, only for a day though.. :o)

The only thing missing right now is the headlights - the fan for the heat was out earlier, but that was fixed by replacing a blown(?) fuse with a new one..

But is there no relay for the headlights? If not, and it doesn't help to install new bulbs then i'm pretty lost as to what else might be the problem..

Fuses - left to right (same source):

F1 - 10A - Fuel injection control unit

F2 - 20A - Windscreen wash/wipe

F3 - 25A - Fresh air blower

F4 - 15A - Fuel pump, lambda probe heater, injector

F5 - 10A - RH fog light

F6 - 10A - LH fog light, indicator light

F7 - 10A - RH dip beam

F8 - 10A - LH dip beam, indicator light

F9 - 10A - RH main beam

F10 - 10A - LH main beam, indicator light

F11 - 7.5A - RH side and tail light, warning buzzer

F12 - 7.5A - Rear fog lights, indicator light

F13 - 30A - Heated rear screen, indicator light, door mirror heater

F14 - 15A - Brake and hazard warning lights

F15 - 15A - Interior light, socket, clock

F16 - 15A - Central locking, headlight wash/wipe

F17 - 25A - Coolant fan, horn, headlight flash

F18 - Not assigned

F19 - 15A - Instrument panel, door mirror adjustment

F20 - 15A - Engine electrics

F21 - 15A - Indicator and reversing lights

F22 - 7.5A - Radio/cassette, cigar lighter, LH side and tail lights

big k is our resident Felicia expert and may know why the fuse is blowing on speed 3. I would be very wary of using a higher rated fuse than that specified for a circuit.

big k is our resident Felicia expert and may know why the fuse is blowing on speed 3. I would be very wary of using a higher rated fuse than that specified for a circuit.

thanks

i read some place it could be upped! however as the gazole only has a 3 speed fan and does not need to be on for "ram effect" i never go past first anyway

wondering

thanx

Thx for your posts.. Haven't been able to fix the lights yet though' date=' but I'll try and replace some of the relays and see what happens.

Frank[/quote']

Not sure about the blower but I had a problem with the indecator/reverse light fuse blowing every now and again fitted a 20 amp fuse and have never had any problems.

touch wood!

• 5 years later...

hi all,

just bit of a 're-live' this thread...

Just bit of an enquiry following it...

I've got an issue with my pickup... had the dash out at the weekend due to leaky screen... its now back in so i can drive it while waiting for proper sealer to arrive.

Now it's back in the heated screen light is on on the dash. Now the caddy doesn't have one, it doesn't have the switch. I've taken out relay 4, and fuse 13.

indicators still work, but the heated screen light is off. Until i close the fuse box, and then it comes back on.

We thinking a short? Water somewhere?

Don't want the power to drain and be stuck at work! I know its only the dash light... but getting annoying! Surely taking the relay and fuse out should've recitified it.

We thinking a short? Water somewhere?

Pull out the connectors across the top of the fusebox and check they're dry - it's quite possible you've got +12V shorting to the heater/warning light circuit at connector BA (red) or BC (blue), in which case the relay and fuse are bypassed anyway.

Reference pic (ignore the circled fuse, that's for something else entirely):

cl6.jpg

I've taken out relay 4, and fuse 13.

Erm a little confused here (nothing new really), as the pickups don't have a heated screen, to the best of my knowledge there's nothing in Relay 4's socket (nothing in there on both of mine). I know the wiring between the switch and the board is there, as I now have a heated rear screen switch in place and connected(ready for a summer-time project ;-) )

(according to Haynes) The warning light is on the same line as the heated rear screen, which is protected by fuse 13 (30A) which is wired back to R4 (only does heated screen). My question firstly would be:

Are you sure you took out a relay that's not supposed to be there?

Secondly, have you looked around the fuseboard and given it a blow with canned air or a descent hair drier to remove any stray water?

Alex

It's dark tonight but couldn't see any wet in the fusebox, and there was definately a relay in the bottom right hand socket... Or it hasn't anymore.

And took out fuse 13.

And yeah, the hair dryer will be out at the weekend... again!

my pickup deffo has a rear heated screen relay in there, which surprised me somewhat at first, the only possible reason i can think of is it must not be the original fusebox and whoever swapped it over must have just chucked it in as it came from the breakers yard with all the fuses and relays still in..

i also agree that it is probably water in there causing a short of some kind when the thing closes up