Power steering loss

nia573

Started the car (2010 Fabia 1.4 Tdi) this evening & the orange steering warning light came on the dash & the power steering wasnt working. 

I didnt move the car at all. Switched ignition off & started the car again & all was ok

Ill try & connect VCDS tomorrow evening to see what fault codes are stored

I had a quick look under the engine bay to check the fuses on top of the battery cover (no 7 I think from what I can see online) to check for any cracks/damage to the fuse itself

I couldnt visually check the fuse link itself as there was a strip of green plastic covering the links. Does this unclip? I didnt want to damage it unneccesarily

One thing I think I should mention is that on Monday I had a pinhole fuel leak to a hose to the fuel rail. This was fixed but I did have some diesel spilt around the battery/airbox area. I lightly rinsed the area with a water sprayer & sprayed wd40 on the electrical connections just in case they were damp (I didnt spray water the top of the battery or the main engine connector into the rhs of the engine). I thought Id mention this as I think the connection into the steering pump is under the battery area??

Anything else I could check?

Thanks

Scanned the car using VCDS & got the following code:
1 Fault Found:
00566 - Steering Assistance Operation 

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Ross tech site says that some of the possible causes are 
Fuse(s) faulty
Battery Voltage too Low
Pump Unit faulty
Ive replaced the battery with a freshly charged Varta 096 72ah battery from my last Golf so hopefully the supply side is in order (Fabia one was 61 ah & for all I know was original & nearly 7 years old)
After replacing the fuel hose as stated above & re-starting the car on Monday it took a good few turns to start the car & I could sense the battery was struggling a bit before it eventually started, so perhaps the voltage was a bit low? Only done short journeys since too & its got a bit colder so Im thinking/hoping a fresh larger battery will help somewhat?

Thanks for the help