National Meet, this Sunday → BRISKODA National Meet Info.  |  BPDC - Driver Development.  |  Competition & Prizes
Photo
- - - - -

Guide : Fabia 1.2 HTP Spark Plugs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Reece_1

Reece_1

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 22:38

This is a guide to changing the spark plugs on the Fabia 1.2 12v HTP model. (BME code). Please note there are no associations with any manufacturers of tools or other products that may be mentioned in the text.

The spark plugs connection arrangement in the Fabia 1.2 are different from the more traditional coil pack and HT lead in that each plug has its own separate coil pack and connector (See the photo in which the coil packs are labelled 1 to 3) This guide is based on my own actual experiences which worked best for me, but you may have your own method. I hope this guide will be of help to anyone who wants to change the spark plug themselves.

First remove the engine cover. Unclip the coil pack wiring harnesses. There are three harnesses, and to unclip, put the blade of a small screwdriver into the slot on the harness, and gently prise open. Note the longest of the harnesses has two slots. See the attached picture with the white block arrows pointing to the harness slots.
This then makes the coils wiring free to move and helps with the re-location of the pack- connector back into the plug shaft. Note the longest of the harnesses has two slots.

Next process is to lift up and release the coil pack/connector. For this using a home brew mini pry bar. I found doing the following worked for me - The left hand pack (That is coil 1 in the photo) is levered under the front of the pack, the other two coils are lifted by levering from the rear.. Place the bar or whatever you are using to lift (Haynes suggests the use of a bent welding bar) under the coil pack and slowly lever up. The pack will slowly come up, and when released from its hole will make a slight ‘pop’. Lift out the pack and connector out of the plug shaft and place to one side. You will see the plug at the bottom of the shaft. To remove (and to put in replacement plugs), I used a Laser spark plug socket tool no3682, 10mm, 250mm long. This socket has a magnetic bit which is very useful for holding the spark plug and found it much better than those sockets with the rubber inserts. Lower the socket into the plug shaft onto the plug, attach a wrench and loosen the spark plug, then with some hand turns of the socket the plug will come free of its hole. Pull the socket up and the plug will be in the end of the socket. Check down the shaft to make sure the area around the plug hole is clean of any debris. Then put a clean lint free rag over the top of the shaft or put back the coil pack/connector into the shaft to prevent anything falling in.

Examine the plug – the older Haynes manuals had a colour picture guide to plug condition – mine had the grey-brownish deposits indicating that the engine is running fine. With the new spark plugs, first check the electrode gap is of correct size using a feeler or a set of wire gauges. Using Bosch F7 HER2 spark plugs, which have a gap of 0.9mm. Once the gap is checked and adjusted for size, lightly smear some cooper grease on the plug threads.

Put the plug into the socket and lower down into the plug shaft- keep the socket level and upright, the plug will engage the hole. Still keeping the socket level and upright, carefully hand- tighten the plug, then attach a torque wrench and tighten to 30nm. Relocate the coil pack and connector into the shaft, and press down firmly on the coil pack.

Repeat process above for packs 2 and 3.

Make sure all the coil packs are fully down back into their positions, before closing the wire harnesses check the coil wiring is in good condition, is free of any breaks and nicks in the wiring insulation. Close the wiring harnesses just use firm thumb pressure to ensure the clips engage the harness slots.

Check the engine bay is all clear of any tools, rags or anything else. Put back the engine cover.

Start the engine just for initial checks then road test.

Attached Files