Everything posted by Gerrycan
-
My favourite Youtube health video
@Pete_Ex-Wino, does the name change reflect your adoption of a more healthy lifestyle?
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
I've read that 90% of people will experience high blood pressure in their lives and, as you said, that is mainly attributed to over consumption of salt in our diet so I think you have the right approach but it is not real easy to work out what is right. My paraplegic sister was in hospital a few weeks back and apparently she was told she was over hydrating and her subsequent low sodium levels were causing her problems. You really cannot win. I can't find an easy way to test your sodium levels other than through a professional blood test. There's nothing like a simple ***** tester for blood sugar levels that the diabetics have. I have not had a medical check up for a couple of years so I think I'll make an appointment and they usually do a pretty thorough investigation of senior citizens including blood and ecg. The downside is all the shave points for the ecg attachments looks a bit weird, or I just shave my chest and the wife can't stop laughing when she looks at me. Cooler, low wind day today and a much better run than in the hot weather, with a semi-respectable average 5:15 per km. I might have to give up on the hope of ever getting back to down to flat 5's ever again though.
-
Stop/start doesn't work following by a error code 1.4tsi hatchback 2017
@automass here's the thing. In your posts in the previous thread you were getting error codes across a few cylinders and after you had the plugs and coils changed there was a brief respite for a couple of days you now get the error code on only cylinder three. I guess that can be considered as some sort of progress. It seems that now you are reporting only one misfire being detected (out of all the multiple thousands of revs), and the only reason that you are aware of it is because the stop/start function stops as a precautionary measure. To be quite honest stop/start is not terribly important in the grand scheme of things. Consider also that when your 1.4tsi is idling it is only using 0.5L/hour so depending on your journey type, you may not be saving much fuel with it at all, and anecdotally the battery life can be reduced by the stop/start function so what you potentially save in fuel may have to be offset by the cost of a prematurely failed AGM battery. I would really recommend against putting multiple bottles of Redex, or anything else in your fuel. Additives are not recommended by VW, and while mathematically two negatives make a positive, it rarely works mechanically What you could do is to put some higher octane fuel in for at least a couple of tanks and hope the additional cleaners and detergents in it do something. I personally do not think it will but it is harmless and relatively cheap. You could also turn off stop/start for a few days and see if the error code goes away. It probably won't but if does it may provide additional clues to the problem. Also re-read @xman's suggestions regarding pressing the foot pedal a couple of times to test for an air leak. Judging from your response you either totally misread his instructions or you actually discovered the cause of your problems. I do think you are over-reacting somewhat, If you didn't have a reader you probably would not even be aware of the problem since the car seems to be running perfectly well. However, If you still want a solution then (as suggested by many others) it will require a competent professional mechanic to identify and fix. Oh, and I can assure you that these sorts of things do happen with other brands.
-
Stop/start doesn't work following by a error code 1.4tsi hatchback 2017
It seems you're incapable of following the good advice given so far, so I guess there was no hope that you would actually just follow the instructions on a Redex bottle 🤦♂️
-
Mac's Running Diary - edit jan '21 cycling too - edit jan 23 back @ circuit training,
Given you the 'trophy' uptick, you earned it. While I like evening runs it often ruined my sleep pattern, especially when it was a good run and the adrenaline levels seemed to be and stay high.
- 378 replies
-
-
- 1
-
-
- ask questions
- chip in
- circuit train
- mtb
-
Tagged with:
-
AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff
That would be deliberate, they did the same thing in my outer London Borough decades back when I lived in the UK. If built to international standards then it would quite likely get taken over for elite level training and competitions, the local ratepayers, who paid for it, would have reduced access. Near 2 kilometres is quite impressive by the way, especially considering you have only just got back into it
-
Cambelt gone
I know that Briskoda membership is just a small sample of Skoda owners, and I don't follow every thread for every model, but I don't remember any reported diesel cambelt failure since I joined in 2014. Can't remember a report for a petrol either so it seems it is not that common, other than @xman's diesel street encounter that is. Unlike say.... water pump failures which are a dime a dozen. Then again the common advice regarding diesel water pump failures is to get the timing belt on the same side of the engine changed at the same time to reduce labour costs? Wonder if the service history for the OP's car has the water pump changed?
-
Better mpg with winter tyres!!
How do you find the ride and noise levels on the winter tyres compare to the summer set?
-
1.4 TSI Multiple Cylinder misfires despite replacing all 4 coil packs and spark plugs
Well, if I were the OP then I would google something like "changing coils on a VW 1.4tsi" and see what videos come up on the subject just to see what is actually involved. Even if he chooses not to do it himself then at least it gives an idea of time involved and likely charges for swapping around. More VW's out there than Skoda and the engines are identical.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
No casual work due to Covid so I've been running more frequently but the hot humid weather has made it less enjoyable, and my times are quite poor. However there is a break in the weather for a couple of days and while it is a bit windy the cooler weather is really welcome and the times have improved somewhat. Funny how you never get back the all the time downwind that you lose going into wind.
-
AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff
Swimming offers terrific and varied benefits while being good fun but be aware it is not good for improving bone density. Apparently an issue for some long distance swimmers. Just something to be aware of if you are considering additional exercise options.
-
Better mpg with winter tyres!!
When Hyundai released official consumption data for models of their Hybrid Ionic (I think) I was surprised at how much difference there was between the lower spec model with relatively skinny small wheel/tyres and the higher spec 'sporty' model with larger wheel and wider low profile tyre. These were derived in laboratory conditions but not far short of what the OP seems to be experiencing.
-
Sportsline Fuel Consumption
These are the commandments for Australia: The first and great commandment - DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER put 91 ron fuel in a Superb 206. The second commandment is like the first - DO NOT PUT Australian E10 fuel in a Superb 206. If NSW fuel is anything like South Australian fuel then it is just 91 Octane with up to 10% Ethanol added which may then bring it up to 94 Ron (with up to 140 ppm sulphur ) The problem is that when the E10 fuel was independently tested the quantity of Ethanol added varied from 10% to none so now stations don't even advertise the ron rating of the E10 fuel and there is a little sticker on the pump warning about the possibility of variation. Look at the manual or inside the filler cap to ascertain the best Of course the absurdity of State laws may mean that NSW may have different fuel specifications but you should check.
-
Disappointed in the citigo
I'm impressed that you let a 7 year old drive your car. 😅
-
Bike ride stats/Strava etc
Brings back fond memories of family rides, my son similar at a similar age to yours, and we were mostly on tarmac bike tracks. When he needed a bit of assistance on the steeper bits or we needed to go a bit faster/further than his normal speed then it started when I'd find a suitable length tree fall (stick) and push his bike from behind. I formalised it a bit with a lightweight, extendable tent pole. Not quite as awkward as it sounds and he loved being out in front and going twice as fast as he would under his own power. Not really practical when off a good surface but I never liked the idea or consequences of him overrunning a tow rope. Didn't seem long before he was pretty capable of managing on his own. They really grow up quick
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
I am not running without my watch yet but I am certainly running slower, but really not by choice. You may even have noticed that two days of the Women's Ashes series was rained off in Adelaide as some parts of the state's more remote parts received record breaking falls. Rain in January is very rare here and the ensuing hot and humid tropical weather has not made it easy for me. I have always perspired easily but I lost 1.2 kg in weight on my 5 km run today and that would have all been sweat, about 1.2 litres of it. Annoys me a bit that most other runners I see out do not perspire anywhere near as bad as I do. SO I have googled about sweat rates and associated sodium loss and it seems there is a huge variation in both between individuals. A five fold variation in sweat volume has been recorded and salt concentration can vary between 200mg and 2300mg of salt per litre, although the concentration is largely determined by genetics. Seems that low sodium levels can promote heavy perspiration and very patchy performances and there are a few other symptoms I've exhibited. Our national diet recommendations recommend only 3 grams of salt a day, and I have long preferred a low salt diet, so much so that when I eat out and have a really salty meal I can get a sort of hangover and bloated feeling (only one glass of wine honest). On a general level it has worked well for me with acceptable blood pressure reports but I think a few more grams of salt might be a good idea just at the moment.
-
Coolant have turned brown
@ords I went down the garage with my torch and checked it out straight away. No 'mit Silikat' on it at all. Just the G13 for refilling. Phew!
-
Coolant have turned brown
Is the cooling system silicate bag only fitted to diesels or on all models? I have a 2014 1.4tsi and wondering, if fitted, whether it should be removed at the next service.
-
1.4 TSI Multiple Cylinder misfires despite replacing all 4 coil packs and spark plugs
1.4tsi is only direct injection so carbon build up on the inlet valve can be problem but I would expect it at a higher mileage and with different symptoms.
-
AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff
My nephew (in-law) in the UK is an open water swimmer, even does a few kilometres in winter with a wet suit on. Braver man than I am. I'll stick to risking the sharks in the warmer Australian sea thanks. Having said that last winter my wife and I went sea swimming, in wet suits and snorkel gear, to view the mass gathering mating of the Giant Cuttlefish at Whyalla. Very spectacular and special bucket list item ticked off, despite the cold weather. in the past I have done enough lap swimming for triathlon training to know that a) I am not very good and b) can never find the right speed lap lane for me so I end up getting in others way or others getting in my way. I used to wear a watch and I'd activate the lap timer at the end of each 100 metres and it issued a beep. My wife used to complain about the noise it made in the water even when she was at the other end of the 50m pool (in the faster lane of course). I've attended a couple of Aussie swimming championships (only in an official capacity not a competitor haha) and even seen world records broken and their speed through the water is almost incomprehensible. I would describe my swimming style as 'survivalist'
-
Is this a feature or some fault?
@I_am_Beki, If the engine can continue to run on for 15 seconds or so then I can understand your concern. What if touching the brake or throttle doesn't work? The next time it occurs and road conditions allow you might be brave enough to apply the clutch and see if the engine revs rise or just drop back to tick over. Does it happen every time you take your foot off the pedal, or is it an intermittent issue? If intermittent does it coincide with something like a DPF regeneration? More general question for the forum to answer is whether there is a 'throttle' cable link to injection actuator or is the 'throttle' actuation a virtual one from a remote sensor on the pedal?
-
1.4 TSI Multiple Cylinder misfires despite replacing all 4 coil packs and spark plugs
May help others to assist you with some additional information. Mileage? What sort of servicing schedule is it on (annual, or needs based)? What are the actual error codes coming up? You have replaced the obvious electrical suspects so since it seems to manifest under higher loads/fuel demands then there might be the possibility of fuel starvation? Maybe fuel pump issues or blocked fuel filters? Mass air flow meter (dirty or malfunctioning)? Check air filter condition (easy check but very unlikely to be the cause unless it has never been replaced or been compromised). Turbo issues? Just random thoughts from an armchair mechanic I'm afraid. The trouble is there are many sensors on modern vehicles and any one of them could be playing up and confusing the CPU. It happened to me some years back with a different make of car and my mechanic thought it was an expensive component issue but I did my own research and fixed it with replacement of a relatively accessible and inexpensive sensor, no skill just luck as the problems seemed unrelated to the sensor in question.
-
Running discussion - experiences, tips, equipment, motivation, etc
Managed to string together a few runs but conditions have been warm, so today got out early enough to get some shade from seafront housing as I ran. A fairly determined effort got back 45 seconds of the 1:30 I lost form my 5.3 km run so I think it I can continue my 3 run per week routine I should hopefully get back the remaining missing minute in the next month. However, speaking with my son tonight about running and he was describing how taking a slower pace with his fireman colleagues during their training runs has increased his enjoyment of running. Made me realise I may be getting a bit hung up on my times and should try and 'smell the roses' a bit more. Reminds me of when I used to travel round Australia for work and I liked to go out for a run to explore country areas and major interstate cities. Times and distances were not really important and I really used to enjoy them, even when I got a bit lost, as I have got a truly lousy sense of direction. Probably the best way to regain that feeling would be to go out on my normal run without a watch (h/r monitor, gps). Not sure how I'd cope going cold turkey without instrumentation though
-
what do you like and dislike about your Octavia?
Since you were used to a 65 litre tank vehicle I can understand why the Octavia seems small by comparison, but I am still surprised you only get 430 miles before warnings especially with the longer journeys you do. I'd be expecting your 1.6d diesel to be getting (far) better than 50mpg on a run There use to be a few complaints from diesel Octavia owners that their warning light was coming on prematurely and that they could only fit 40 litres or so in. Is that happening to you? The tank is definitely rated at 50 litres and if filled to the second pump cut-off click is probably holding closer to 55 litres. The Superb with a 66 litre tank might have been more suitable?
-
what do you like and dislike about your Octavia?
If you are getting good consumption from your 1.6d then you should be able to get a fairly comfortable 500 miles from the 50 litre tank? A wish for a 75 litre tank seems overly ambitious.