Skip to content

Luckypants

FREEDOMLite
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Luckypants

  1. I was referring to the comment "25 min food break removed" in the spreadsheet you screen shotted. On his 1000km challenges, total time is used for the EV trip as he eats while charging. There was a lot of debate in his live stream about including the food break in his PHEV 1000km challenge (I wasn't watching that, I'm not quite that sad!) and eventually it was excluded to make it 'fair'. My point was, if you include the biological needs of humans, ICE and EV times for long journeys are pretty much the same and is far more likely to be affected by outside factors such as traffic and weather.
  2. If you include the 25 minute food break in the Ceed test, the next 9 cars in the list are faster. After all, humans need re-fuelling too and in an EV that happens simultaneously with fuelling the car. I'm not saying an EV is faster to 1000km but I'm also pointing out an ICE car is not faster either. I'm saying EVs have got to the point where for a long drive they are just as quick as a fossil car and all other trips they are just as quick / slow. The limit on ICE long distance travel has long been biological rather range and that is now the case with EVs too.
  3. Fully charged covered the EQXX when it did the run to Silverstone. Here's a couple of videos they did covering it.
  4. I'm just rounding out this thread by saying I eventually got Hankook 4S2 fitted. No dealer / online supplier could get me 4 Hankooks, the best any could do was 3. These were obviously the only three in the country in my size. I did cast about a bit for alternatives and came close to getting Bridgestone WeatherControls as I had these on my previous big car (Karoq) and found them to be very good. The Bridgestones were a good price from Costco, but logistics / life got in the way of me getting to Costco for a few weeks. I got fed up and asked local fitter to check for Hankook availability again, hey presto plenty of stock but in a warehouse somewhere, so Hankook must have imported a load. I've just had them fitted this morning and they look good on, not quite as fat as the Bridgestone Ecopia they replace but actually seem to sit on the rim better. A few miles show very little in handling differences (once I set the tyre pressures correctly!) so happy with my choice so far. I'm expecting a bit of hit in fuel consumption, but that is not significant given the mileage this little car does. Winter is a long way off yet to really test them but I'm happy to have replaced the disintegrating tyres.
  5. Large swathes of rural UK areas have jo coverage for smart meters. Usually because of no O2 coverage but plenty of other mobile coverage. Flats where the meters are buried in the basement of the block and have no signal. If you are not a town dwelling house owner, it's a problem.
  6. With 40% still in the car, why wait at Rugby for a charger? They could have gone up the road to the next set of chargers (e.g. Hilton Park) Didn't charge overnight at their stay. People still thinking in petrol station 'fill-ups' terms, even when they have an EV. Also with the coffees etc. it seems like they don't go very far normally and come across as nervous drivers / travellers. Found myself rolling my eyes a few times.
  7. Well that's very light on detail and the process for magically transforming into "syngas" which we can use how? More BS to get a research grant from a gullible sponsor?
  8. As I recently found out, you cannot get a Tracker tariff now without a smart meter. Octopus might have class leading tariffs but smart meters are de rigeur to get on any of them. My MP has been working for two years (and me 18 months before that) to try to get smart meter coverage to our rural area. You might want to persue that.
  9. Thanks for the details, you must drive a crazy amount for work. However, you mean getting your TAXABLE income below the 40% threshold, your actual earnings are way in excess if you can 'dump' £30K into a pension. No problem with you doing that, crack on with keeping your money out of the taxman's hands!
  10. How do you manage to get an extra £8k of tax free allowance over the rest of us mere mortals?
  11. @toot Completely agree. In North Wales we have one of the highest standing charges, yet we have one of the largest off-shore windfarms in the UK off the coast. We have two large windfarms just up the road from our village. Like you, I have no objection but why do I pay more for my leccy than other parts of the UK that generate nowt? Even my suggestion that the windfarm community benefit fund money (bribe to objectors) should be used to subsidise the leccy bill of those affected was scoffed at by the powers that be, but was popular with bill payers. Instead, the money is used for grants for 'community projects' that should be funded by the council.
  12. Unable to get a smart meter is one very common reason.
  13. 14 in the central island plus two towing charging spots, one below the island and one to the left looking at the photo. The Osprey press release has better shots of the towing bays or go to zap-map and see a photo of one in action (model X towing a caravan)
  14. Fair enough Colin. My experience of a long range EV (77kWh ID.4) in Scotland has been positive. Last summer holiday was around 900 miles in the North around Sutherland and Skye. We frequently travel to the Borders. The situation in North Wales is improving quickly now, especially destination charging - I live in the area so this is first hand.
  15. If you charge at 20% battery you are missing out on a significant portion of your range AND the fastest part of the charge curve.. Much better to get down to 5% or thereabouts for your intermediate charges for a faster journey. I get having a good buffer in the highlands where you might be scuppered if a charger isn't working, but on the major road network it isn't needed.
  16. Luckypants replied to Stray's topic in Skoda Enyaq
    Exactly that. Software 0561 is version 3.1 according to Google. There were noticeable efficiency improvements with V3 of MEB software, so your 5.1 average is achievable fairly regularly I'd have thought. In reply to your original question, 5.1 is a good average.
  17. Luckypants replied to Stray's topic in Skoda Enyaq
    I'm not familiar with the Enyaq interface, I have an ID.4 which is very similar. I'd go into settings on the infotainment system then look for a 'system information' item and click on that. On my VW this gives software version and various hardware versions and the sat-nav database version. It was your excellent efficiency figure that prompted me to ask.
  18. Luckypants replied to Stray's topic in Skoda Enyaq
    Out of interest, what version of software do you have?
  19. I'm speaking from real world experience of a sibling car, not as a dealership employee who has probably not lived with an EV. I've never had projected range of less than 200 miles to a full battery except driving home from Scotland in Storm Dudley with a slow puncture - an extreme case which I would have avoided if at all possible. Winter range (for me) would be 220-250 on the motorway. Therefore I think an Enyaq will do the OP's round trip without a problem, but a 5 hour granny charge would soothe any range anxiety they may feel. However, if the Enyaq really does only 190 miles to a full charge, adding your 30 mile figure by granny charger makes the trip doable without on route charging. I again express the hope an actual Enyaq driver can give us their real world insight on this thread
  20. 5 hours on a 3-pin granny charger would add about 12kWh, worth 35-45 extra miles so helpful for peace of mind getting back in one hop.
  21. I would be happy to do that trip in my ID.4 with 77kWh battery without a charge in all but the very worst weather (cold and windy and raining/snowing). ID.4 official range not quite as good as Enyaq since the Skoda has better drag coefficient. I average over 3 miles per kWh even in winter time (last winter average was 3.4 miles/kWh). I would advise making sure you have at least ME3.0 software on the vehicle if buying second hand, there is a noticeable improvement in efficiency with the equivalent to this version of the software on my ID.4 and I now regularly get in excess of 4.2 miles/kWh which was unheard of on earlier version of the software. (e.g last summer average was 3.8, since V3.0 software installed in April - 4.1!) As Toot says, hopefully an actual Enyaq owner will give you their real life experiences of range for better background. Finally, I'm curious as to why you do not want to charge on a long journey? If visiting parents the car is doing nothing while you visit and could be charged then?
  22. Another big-ass car.......
  23. Looks like Skoda are putting the new drive train and bigger battery into the Enyaq, announcing an L&K Enyaq 85 with more powerful motor and bigger battery. https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/emobility/enyaq-lk-technical-upgrades-and-extra-elegance/ I'll expect to see it in a facelifted ID.4 soon.
  24. Good to see the evolution. Dread to think what the cost will be..... I think the uprated power will come from the new motor/transmission package developed for, and launched with the ID.7. The figures are very similar. VW are claiming a 50% efficiency improvement in the drivetrain. Additionally, I think they have installed the bigger battery announced for the ID.7 that gives 85kWh useable (92kWh gross) energy, hence the Enyaq 85 moniker. The claimed faster charging backs that up. The ME4.0 software also looks like the same software as ID.7 given they are trumpeting battery pre-conditioning, VW were making a big deal of that too. It will be very useful too, as MEB cars are notoriously slow charging in sub-zero temps. I was expecting these tech upgrades to hit VW ID cars first, but looks like Skoda have stolen a march on VW.
  25. Of interest to most of us, Tebay services has started work on upgrading/ adding to the chargers on site. Northbound will get 3 new chargers and southbound 2 new chargers, all dual head so 6 and 4 bays. 300kW chargers or split to 150kW/head if both sides in use. I believe these are being assisted by a battery in a container to supply peak power as the grid connection is not up to this yet (https://nationalhighways.co.uk/about-us/new-charging-systems-to-help-electric-vehicle-drivers-on-our-motorways/). Westmoreland are also installing more chargers at their other sites, details here https://westmorlandfamily.com/charging/ Gridserve have started work on 12 new 350kW chargers at Chester services, scheduled to be live this summer. Hopefully in time for school holidays as the M56 is a major tourist route. MFG opened their latest charging hub at a completely new service station near Thirsk known as Sowerby services. 8x150kW chargers.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.