Everything posted by Luckypants
-
the truth about electric cars
Totally agree, but until we get to that point I'll play the game. To be fair, Gridserve have no app or subscription and you turn up and pay (66p at present). They are mainly on the motorway, so helps make long distance travel in the UK easier.
-
the truth about electric cars
I've had one for a while as it costs me nothing and allows access to supercharging sites open to all should I need them. I took out the subscription for my recent French trip and found the chargers to be fast and numerous, both in locations and number of stalls. Tesla in the UK is lagging behind Europe opening sites up, but if it becomes as ubiquitous as it is in France, the other players will need to really compete on price. Already Gridserve has direct price competition at Reading services, can only be good for us.
-
Winter roads, ice, snow and wet or dry driving in an EV..
We are doing the same, fitted Hankook 4S2 to our Citigo over the summer, so in the snow that will get used. The Citigo is great in the snow anyway, should be even better with these boots on. I was expecting to be on the hook for new rear tyres on the ID4 this month after 3 weeks driving around France, but still have 3mm showing so will postpone a month.
-
the truth about electric cars
OK let me use my drive from Bezannes near Reims to Beaulieu-sur-Mer as an example as I have the costs for that. I left Bezannes with 100% battery at 6:05 am (easy for you if you can charge at home) as my hotel had a charger and drove to the Tesla Superchargers at Chalon-sur-Soane, we charged for about 30 minutes while we went to the toilet and ate breakfast (Pain au chocolat from the nearby Super-U). This was 62kWh and cost €17.98. We then drove to Le Pontet superchargers near Avignon and charged again, this time 51kWh that cost €15.30. We went to the toilet and got a coffee at the nearby mall but had to hurry a bit as the car was done charging. We then drove to Beaulieu-sur-Mer arriving at 18:30 due to bad traffic in Nice costing an hour. We drove at 105kph as the range predictor app I used (A Better Route Planner) suggested an extra 40 minute charge stop would be needed to sustain the higher consumption at 130kph and wiped out any time saving. So that is a 965km journey we made on 5th September. Two stops for breaks / toilet and charging. We topped up the charge in the car again at our hotel which cost a flat €7 on top of the car parking. Total cost for the trip €40.28 (+ a portion of the €12 Tesla membership subscription) On another leg of our tour we charged at Ionity on the Autoroute which was €0.52/kWh. I hope that is helpful.
-
the truth about electric cars
There are now 26 Tesla charging sites open in the UK to non-Tesla cars and the cost is 45-53p or 30-35p with a subscription. I know geographically they are sparse north of the M25, but its a start and new V4 supercharger sites will be open to all (one in Stoke opened at the weekend. Tottenham and Reading Services already opened) In France, many more SC sites are open to all and its having an effect from what I observed, supercharger sites have 50/50 spilt between Teslas and other makes, This puts pressure on other suppliers price wise, so even on the Autoroute chargers were around 50p for 300kW chargers. I hope Tesla open more sites in the UK, especially those at MSAs, to break the price fixing cartel operated by the companies belonging to Charge UK trade association.
-
the truth about electric cars
The free charging is gone. I stated I got a lot of free charging IN MY FIRST YEAR. My average cost last year was 6.03p / mile over 13259 miles, no free charging. That year I had a fixed rate of 21p/kWh for home charging.
-
the truth about electric cars
Not that far beyond. The price cap is (state regulated via OFGEM) is 30p / kWh. Many suppliers now have deals below that. I am on Octopus's Tracker tariff which tracks the wholesale price on a daily basis, this tariff is open to all. during times of lots of wind energy I've seen my price as low as 12p/kWh and highest I've seen (since July) is 21p / kWh. The 19p I quoted was for September. I normally give a weekly reading and Octopus average the cost over the week, so I pay a variable price, but in the context of my post I felt it was fair to give the September price I paid of 19p.
-
the truth about electric cars
To really **** you off, my average cost over 33k miles now 5.9p / mile. I'll admit this figure has been helped by a lot of free Tesco / Aldi charging in the first year and some other free charges, which is something petrol or diesel never get. I had solar fitted at the beginning of July and now any excess can be dumped into the car for 'free', so July & August has seen my costs at less than 3p / mile. This is without an EV tariff for leccy as smart meter does not work, so I'm paying about 19p. Things will get more expensive over winter due to poorer efficiency and less solar, unless something changes on the smart meter front. Financially it stacks up for me, the fuel cost saving pays the increased monthly PCP cost over a similar diesel.
-
the truth about electric cars
A truth about an electric car.... 3000 miles around France. No issues with finding a charger, no issues with queuing, average charge cost 29p / kWh, average consumption 4.0 mi/kWh, average cost 7.51p 7.87/mile (includes charging at home before leaving and on return plus one free charge of about 25kW). We charged whenever the humans needed a stop. Generally this coincided with meal times and generally we charged more than needed so we could finish our meal. Truth is, EVs are no more difficult to tour with than ICE vehicles. Our ID.4 was quiet, comfy and very easy to drive over long distances on the Autoroute with ACC and Lane Assist helping keep things in check. Highly recommended! EDIT: I forgot to account for the one month subscription to Tesla membership charging of £11 in my cost per mile. New average above.
-
List of EV Tariff for 2.5p/mile motoring
Unless this is a change in terms and conditions, what you propose is specifically excluded on the 15p export tariff for this reason. If you are on IO or Go, you will be on the Agile export tariff. This os how I understood the T&Cs when I signed up.
-
the truth about electric cars
I'm unfollowing this thread as the bickering and off topic posts are polluting my inbox. I'm on holiday now so not going to be replying anyway 😁 One final point that is the truth about electric cars. Mine has been faultless on the drive to the south of France from North Wales. 4.0 miles per kWh average and its a piece of cake.
-
EV used car prices plummeting ,what's your experience?
Which is still 20-30p less than the competition 🤔
-
EV used car prices plummeting ,what's your experience?
The rate for Tesla membership is in 30s and is the same as for Tesla I think. Membership costs £10.99 a month and is worth it if charging regularly. The contract length is one month so can be cancelled anytime. The VAT and BIK questions are not unique to Tesla, so the answer is it depends on your own tax position. I've taken membership for this month as holiday trip is on. I'll save the membership cost in my first charge, after that I'm saving money every charge. The reason I'm bigging up Tesla charging is the price difference is massive. Banbury charge will cost me 35p/kWh versus 79p at the Osprey chargers next door or 75p at the nearby Instavolt hub. When I'm in France the difference is not so stark, as non-Tesla charger prices seem closer to 50p/kWh but still a useful saving.
-
EV used car prices plummeting ,what's your experience?
I'd like to point out Tesla as an exception to this. Their rates are currently pretty reasonable even for non-Tesla owners. I've suspected from the start that Charge UK "trade association" is a cartel for fixing charging prices, but I'm beginning to believe it now. I'm voting with my feet on this one and using Tesla chargers whenever possible. Tomorrow I'm charging at Banbury using Tesla, ignoring the Osprey chargers next door and the Instavolt hub I'll pass to get to the Superchargers.
-
Who used a Tesla charger for free?
Agree the Tesla price is great. I've just paid the subscription for membership prices for our upcoming road trip to France. Looking at 28-39p for charging on the next 2-3k miles.
-
My 2023 MINI Cooper S Level 3 Electric leased from Motability which will be with me for 3 years & now a 2021 MG5 as a dog wagon.
So what do you reckon your cost per mile has been for fuel?
-
Tesla Model 3 facelift
Is this the 'Highland' model? I thought that will come with the new battery tech from CATL to give 10% improvement in energy density, per the Electric Viking?
-
the truth about electric cars
Lots of dealers don't bother with the green flash either, maybe for cost or just CBA? I don't have one and really not bothered that I don't.
-
All Season Tyres for Citigo
A little update. As a second car there is not many miles go the Citigo, so the tyres are still new. In the 200 miles they have done, a lot has been in the wet. the tyres are confidence inspiring so far. One surprising thing, the amount of water thrown up / sucked onto the rear screen seems to be less with these tyres than the OEM Bridgestone tyres. The only reason I can think of is the arrowhead directional tread is putting more water out the sides rather than out the back in a rooster tail.
-
Who used a Tesla charger for free?
Would have done if out and about. It seemed to be announced yesterday morning just as the zero pricing went live.
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
Only if you have a working smart meter.....
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
I take it you are on Intelligent Octopus tariff? The prices on my Electroverse app show the full price. Not having a working smart meter means I'm a second class electricity customer and have no access to all these discounts. Another example of 'the provinces' providing the power and the south getting all the benefits.
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/horror-footage-shows-range-rover-27805901 And also, wow! that was a year ago! I was thinking it was just a few months ago. I'm getting senile.......
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
My bad, I thought these were at the service centre that had the chargers taken out by a flying Range Rover. As an aside, these are meant to be open to all cars but not showing in the app. yet, under 'Charge my Non-Tesla'. https://twitter.com/EVAEOfficial/status/1695015645635625044?s=20
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
That looks like it will be fine to reach my ID.4 port on the right. New sites will have the charge posts in the centre of the bay, like the ones widely publicised in The Netherlands. These in the photo ls replaced some existing Superchargers which were placed optimally for left rear charge ports.