Everything posted by Luckypants
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
Looks like Tesco free charging is going. Charges to be levied at the start of November? (I've yet to find an official announcement from Tesco or PodPoint) https://twitter.com/modernheroestv/status/1583190747825983488?s=20&t=X9x9DcY1ZyJoxoILDETqTA
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
I agree @classic, folks seem to claim way better mpg / mkH than I get. I put it down to living in a hilly area where you never get back any near as much regen as used climbing hills. My average in the ID.4 for April-September 3.8 mile/kWh and previous winter 3.4 mile/kWh. My previous diesel car (similar to ID.4 in size) averaged 45.4mpg over the time I had it. I suspect the very good efficiency folks live in flat cities that play to EVs strengths. (I once had 4.8 mi/kWh on a 45 mile run but also had a 2.4 mile / kWh average on a run down from Hawick in a storm)
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
Not had any new hubs mentioned for a while, so here are three I've heard of recently:- MFG 6x150kW chargers at Stanton St Quintin near the M4 MFG 5x150kW chargers in Lewisham Denbighshire Council hub 3x50kW and 33 fast chargers at West Kinmel Street Car Park, Rhyl.
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
My bad.
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
Not had any new hubs mentioned for a while, so here are three I've heard of recently:- MFG 6x150kW chargers at Stanton St Quintin near the M4 MFG 5x150kW chargers in Lewisham Denbighshire Council hub 3x50kW and 33 rapid chargers at West Kinmel Street Car Park, Rhyl.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Light weight for the win. We get 54mpg average out of our petrol Citigo without trying and that's in a hilly area. I think the word is out that the EV versions are super cheap to run judging by second hand prices - currently a lot more than they were RRP when bought.
-
hydrogen powered cars
The thing I took from the video is how massively inefficient it is to produce hydrogen. To produce enough hydrogen to give a car 300 miles range (for example) you need three times the amount of electricity an equivalent BEV would need. Scale that up national size and instead of needing (figures plucked from the air) 30 gigawatts of new generation to power the decarbonisation of cars, you need 90 gigawatts. That's a huge amount of extra generation needed in pursuit of an unproven technology. Its the electrical power needed to create hydrogen that makes it unviable IMO, not necessarily the technology to make it work.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Gridserve have been having issues with their chargers at Rugby for the past week or so. It seems they are not keeping on top of maintenance leading to breakdowns at quite a few sites, not just Rugby. The Tesla chargers seem unaffected. We did a 200 mile trip yesterday on a whim. Car was at 73% when we left and we got two destination charges while we did the sight seeing / walking planned and got home with 33% charge. This EV thing is not so hard.
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
I did meet a couple of guys who treated getting free charging like a game, planning their use and comparing notes (while plugged in to the free Tesco 22kW). One proudly told me he had done 6000 miles for £90. Fair play if you can get it but it will come to an end soon. Dundee have the right idea to benefit locals but 20p is still cheaper than home charging for me. Still a bargain in Scotland using CPS chargers.
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
That seems very reasonable costs to me. I think free open to all council chargers are unfair to local council tax payers as people who do not contribute to local taxes reap the benefits also. It did feel odd rocking up to a charger, getting 50kW and not paying - I felt like a 'cheeky git' knowing the local council would be footing my bill. I'm not surprised that Local Authorities are moving to a pay to use model. Local Authorities around here are just starting to put chargers in to their car parks and prices are more commercial at 40-55p a kWh. I think most if not all will be happy paying the 30p/kWh price, even those who cannot charge at home.
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
The price is crazy and makes me concerned about charging on the go. Luckily I do very little of that. The shocking part is the scale of the rise, 66p to £1, a 50% increase suggests Osprey have messed up buying electricity at a good price or have lost a backer. Either way this looks like panic and I won't be surprised if they go bust. I'm sure they will lose a lot of custom at that price.
-
New price cap Oct 2022
Lack of demand for propane is probably what keeps the price down. It is 'cheap' compared to natural gas but I have to say your €30 price is a lot less than the UK which is £38 for 11kG bottle refill. Having said that, it has not gone up since I last bought in January. I use bottled gas for the hob. (oil for heating, no mains gas out here).
-
Walk Away or take it
That's a shame but I don't blame you.
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
We're getting used to it! Perhaps we need a new thread? "George's Charging Rants"......
-
Preconditioning Battery
The ID. cars from VW get enhanced battery temperature management in cold weather with V3.0 software. I expect Enyaq will get similar with version 3 too. In the meantime schedule any overnight charging to complete just before you leave as charging warms the battery.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
*cough* hydro *cough cough* pumped storage hydro We need more of both.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
I've just topped up the heating oil as I'm expecting the price to rise over the coming weeks, not just because of the approaching winter. Lots of German and French commercial users will be forced onto oil when the EU finally bans imports of Russian gas. There is only something like a 2 million barrel reserve of diesel/heating oil this year where normally there is 20 million in reserve in the EU at this time of year. Driving any kind of car will be very expensive this winter.
-
New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..
We did about a thousand miles in Scotland in June. We charged almost exclusively on ChargePlace Scotland (CPS) chargers and they all worked seamlessly. We had registered an account with them last year, but never made it up to Scotland. We got a CPS RFID card (costs £10) and used that without exception to start/stop charges and never had a problem. The free charging units are normally CPS units and we did get free charges at Pitlochry, Fort Augustus and Callander. The other charges were very reasonable at 18-36p / kWh. The only non-CPS charging we did in Scotland was a Podpoint rapid at Tain Tesco which was a very reasonable 28p/kWh. (this could have been free too, but two old boys who obviously knew each other well were hogging the free 22kW chargers )
-
Walk Away or take it
Can't say I have, but always worth an ask?😁
-
Walk Away or take it
Salary Sacrifice is nearly always better than PCH if the lease prices are similar. You do get BIK taxation, but that is low currently compared to the tax and NI savings made by paying the lease from salary before income tax and NI is calculated. Furthermore, the SS scheme will be reclaiming the VAT, further reducing the cost to you. So the lease price you pay is ex. VAT. If you can, see if the SS lease company can take over your current offer - you may get the benefit of the lower price and SS. Note most company SS will include RFL and insurance. With PCH you must insure it yourself and (for safety) also take gap insurance.
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
MfG are putting their prices up from tomorrow. Matching Instavolt. https://twitter.com/MotorFuelGroup/status/1559163101622280192?s=20&t=vNTLNnKVWuvDVZktMmlv8w
-
UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.
Instavolt have announced another price increase
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
I have often cited my own example as I do monitor the cost of my cars. My previous diesel Karoq averaged 45.4 mpg over 36K miles. (https://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/luckypants/793739) - a good comparison to my ID.4 I have now. It was serviced once in that time for £256, insurance was £320 pa and VED was included in the lease - which was £480. Before covid we were doing about 15K a year. At current fuel prices here (£1.85 p/litre) the fuel cost is 18.5p/mile. The ID.4 is on PCP and costs £580 pcm. Insurance is £300 pa and VED is £0. No servicing yet, but I expect to be in the region of £150. Over 17K miles my average charge cost per mile 5.48p/mile (sorry in a spreadsheet so cannot share). This includes free charges at Tesco etc but I get nothing not available to any EV driver and I don't take the **** (e.g could have granny charged at the cottage when on holiday but chose to pay at the rapid 2 miles away). The £100 difference in monthly cost is more or less offset by the cheaper cost per mile, making the cars broadly similar in cost to run / own. If we take an average 1000 mile month, I save £120 but spend £100 more on monthly (This is how I justified the high purchase price of an EV to myself, cos £580 a month is crazy!) These figures meant I was able to get an EV for all the reasons of low emissions without really paying through the nose. I'd like to replace the Citigo with electric, but the figures no where near stack up for a low use vehicle.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
This is true BUT the day rate or peak rate paid is very high as are the standing charges. You need to be able to move almost all your use to the low cost period for it to make sense to use one of these tariffs now. Just saying you can charge your car for 7.5p / kWh ignores the bigger picture of overall electricity cost for the household. I work from home, so use quite a lot in the day and for me the SVP would be best if I didn't have a fixed rate at the moment. I get what you say about home charging being cheaper than diesel and for me most definitely is at approx 5ppm versus 18ppm if I still had a diesel. I pasted the rates in my area below and you can see the day rate on Go is double my current (V. Good) rate. Everyone's circumstances are different. My rate YOUR TARIFF Octopus 24M Fixed Octopus 24M Fixed September 2021 v3 Fixed term ends 13/09/2023 21.99p/kWh 23.50p/day Octopus Go rates for my area:- Unit rate (04:30 - 00:30): 42.29p/ kWh Unit rate (00:30 - 04:30): 7.50p/ kWh Standing Charge: 47.31p/ day Prices include VAT. Octopus Go is an electricity only smart tariff. For gas, simply choose any Octopus gas tariff.
-
Walk Away or take it
I can understand you not getting the granny charger but they must supply you with means to charge your car via type 2 cable, so this should be supplied. Have you checked with the dealer that they have their facts straight?