Everything posted by Luckypants
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
They should try living in North Wales or Scotland then! Actually my standing charges came down 1p a day to 68.7p
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
My Intelligent Octopus Go tariff has reduced to 5.2p overnight & smart charging and 28.83p peak. With the new ID.3 on the drive giving 3.9 m/kWh average so far I'm looking at less than 2p/mile on fuel costs.
-
OBD
The exclamation mark is normally next to the defective sensor. If they all show as defective (have an exclamation mark), there may be a bigger issue. The clean sensor message is just the default when a sensor is not sensing...
-
OBD
Does it not show you on the pictogram of sensors when in parking mode?
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
No, I was so outraged by the £300 odd increase that the guy couldn't explain I just told them not to renew and that I'm taking my business elsewhere. They didn't even try to improve the offer. The policy was due for renewal 2 days after the new car arrives so I already had a a renewal quote which I had negotiated down.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Well that failed at the first hurdle. My current insurer suddenly wanted £640 to insure the ID.3! Told them to foxtrot oscar. A quick confused.com later and the ID.3 is insured for £331 and the Citigo for £130. No longer on a multi-car policy but saved over £300 on the new quote for the ID.3 and Citigo from my existing insurer. I guess LV don't want my business.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
My time with the ID.4 has come to an end. It has been a very good car and has lovely to ride around in. I thought I'd give the final costs for charging. The vast majority has been home charging, the first 3.5 years at Octopus Tracker rates (generally 2-3p below SVR) and the pst 18 months on Intelligent Octopus Go 7p/kWh. There were some free charges in the first 6 months of ownership as Tesco and Aldi offered free charging back then. Paid for public charging has been while away from home, usually on holiday - notably 3k miles around France in 2023. Since getting the IOG tariff my cost has averaged 2.95p/mile. The overall cost per mile for 63908 miles has been 5.09p/mile. Insurance comparable to previous Karoq, £390 last year and £452 for next year. Maintenance has been relatively cheap. First service was £280 at VW, second service was £180 at my local independent. 3x MOTs @ the going rate, no failures or warnings given. The car has been relatively expensive on tyres, due to having to replace 6(!) for punctures/pothole damage. Only two have been replaced due to wearing out. (and one of those got a thorn in the sidewall 10k miles later!). Basically I've found the car cheaper to run overall than the Karoq was and has repaid the slightly higher monthly cost of purchase with lower bills. I'll be keeping the same track on the costs of the ID.3 that will replace it, which I expect will be even lower due to lower insurance, better efficiency and lower monthly payments.
-
Service reminder, local garage can’t reset after service
Basically what I've done with the ID.4 since its been out of manufacturers warranty. My man is EV / HV qualified and as he said himself, the EV bit of the service is just looking at stuff. He was able to download the VW service schedule to ensure it was a service up to their standard. PS. My brake fluid was changed at 4 years, but Ian said it was actually still in spec.
-
the truth about electric cars
I'll concede Monmouth is in Wales 🙃 And was about to point that out https://www.gridserve.com/pressroom/watts-occurring-gridserve-celebrates-st-davids-day-with-extension-of-ev-charging-hub-at-roadchef-magor-services/
-
Service reminder, local garage can’t reset after service
It is probably not necessary to have the dealer reset it, your garage probably just needs the right software tool. My local garage was able to correctly reset my service indicator on my ID.4 as part of the service - not an Enyaq I grant you but basically the same MEB software running the car. HTH
-
the truth about electric cars
None of the above is in Wales 🤣 There are Tesla open to all chargers at the bottom of the A449. Wales is a great deal more than the area around Cardiff.
-
the truth about electric cars
Really? Perhaps we don't have a hub on every corner like in the S/E. of England but I've never struggled to find a working charger when needed. Mid-Wales is a bit sparse I'll grant you, but most modern EVs have sufficient range to overcome this. On a recent trip to Cardiff from N. Wales I was able to charge at one of 34 chargers in the multi-storey I parked at in Cardiff for a reasonable 45p, making the round trip in horrible weather a non-stop event. On my route I passed at least 10 charging hubs I could have used if needed. Our preferred stop (for dinner) on the way home had two 160kW Instavolts.....
-
Plug and charge ID
Make sure Plug and Charge is activated in the car and/or app. This is whats needed on my VW ID.4
-
the truth about electric cars
Clearly EV drivers are no different to other drivers... and just jump in and go without even the most basic checks. My tyres are checked monthly for wear and even then I got caught out by excessive wear on the inner edge of NSF tyre. Spotted it before it failed and found the tyre had been damaged in a pot hole, but still missed by monthly check. How many drivers go months without checking stuff?
-
Tips / Tricks / Observations
Not to worry, its been quietly washing itself for 9 months. 😇
-
New tyre advice needed
Enyaq 80 and most other MEB chassis cars with the 77kWh battery have staggered tyre widths. Rears on are 255/45R20 so cannot be rotated with the fronts.
-
Aussie Elroq will not charge from a timer
I suspect the car is not 'waking up' after going into standby mode while waiting for the charger to start. There has been an issue with VAG EVs where the on board charger (OBC) does not wake up after standby mode, but I would have thought your Elroq is too new for that to be happening as the problem is fixed. There are plenty of discussions online about this problem and how to fix it, if you search for them. Another thing you might want to try to rule out problems with the timer / granny charger is to remove the mains timer and use the car's built in charge timer to start charging at your desired times. This may help with the car not waking up properly too. Using the car's built in timer is electrically safer than using a mains timer. The timer can be set in the infotainment charging screen. HTH
-
Check engine light on
I had this on our 2016 Citigo and it was fixed with a new O2 sensor.
-
Intelligent Octopus Go
I have found its much better to have the charger controlled by IOG than the car. You do get messages about charging failures/charge finished/charge started in the app as IOG stops and starts charging but it works well. Car is set to immediate charging with limit set to my target (usually 80%) and no locations set in the car. In the IOG app, my device (the charger) is set to give 100% charge by whatever ready time I want.
-
Sticking charging flap
Well known issue on VAG cars. Water gets into the solenoid by rain running down the locking pin. This is exacerbated on EVs as the fuel door is open for long periods.
-
vRS built and sat at Emden - Roughly how long?
Expensive car supplement is payable years 2-6, so the keeper pays it, not the dealer on registration.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Which is what I did to go on holiday 4 weeks ago. Jumped in my fully charged car and drove 240 miles to our rented cottage. We stopped for lunch, so I charged which is sensible when away from home but the car would have got there in one hit. We couldn't.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Yes here is definitely price gouging in remote areas. A new rapid charger has opened on the LLyn Peninsula, the only one on the peninsula and is 89p - but there are 22kW AC alternatives nearby to moderate the money grab.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
But a discount on a high starting point. The Ionity Motion sub brings the price down to around the same as Tesla PAYG price. The more expensive option Ionity Power would be worth it if charging a lot at Ionity. The main problem with Ionity for me is the lack of locations.
-
EV real world range and cost to charge
Just chiming in on costs as we've just come back from holiday to Northumberland. We covered 1305 miles with average consumption of 3.27 m/kWh (lowered by the return trip in the wind and rain yesterday 3.2 average for 240 miles). The total cost of electricity used including topping back up at home on return was £159.21, giving an overall cost per mile of 12.2p. That's pretty comparable to my Citigo petrol which is giving 11.9p/mile at current prices. My previous diesel Karoq would be about 13.6p/mile at current prices, so the ID.4 is still more economical using public chargers. I used AC chargers while visiting attractions with prices down around 53p/kWh. We did a few rapid charges, Tebay services both going and coming home, two Tesla charges as they were the same price as A/C charging and an Ionity charge to test Plug and Charge. The Ionity charge was by far the most expensive. I hope this is useful