Everything posted by FatWolfie
-
Eastern Bloc Car Day
Just seen that at The Motorist (cafe and general car gathering place) on 26/11/22 they are holding an Eastern Bloc car day 9.00 to 15.00. website is here https://www.themotorist.com/ I’ll be dropping in at some point in Spooky Suzie, my newly acquired VRS Combi. not sure how Briskoda guys and gals will be able to identify each other but my car reg is V2CVE so if you see me hanging around the car please say hello!
-
Artificial Noise 🤬
I did wonder about seeing if I could have it coded out but I'm a bit reluctant to start interfering (or to be more precise, have someone else interfere) with the coding on a new car. Given the reports of software issues, should I get any problems in the future I don’t want Skoda turning round and saying it’s my problem as I’ve changed stuff. I was rather hoping I’d missed something obvious that I could just switch off. I’ll just run in either individual ( and no noise) or sport (with noise ) as the mood takes me.
-
Hello - Octavia VRS
Very similar to the car I collected Monday, so I commend your taste 🤣🤣 I was told by the dealer that once the engine cover situation is sorted, owners who were supplied with a car but no engine cover will be contacted and free retro fit done. re the ice scraper, I noticed when I filled up on the way home from the dealers that it was missing. Decided to go home and see if I could find it elsewhere, and it was in the glovebox inside the cardboard container with the manual in it. enjoy the car!
-
Delivery times?
Thanks guys. I love the 2 CV and think it would be the last car I’d sell should push come to shove! Hence the number plate on the Skoda - wife’s car has a very similar number. by the way the car is called Spooky Suzie . (Spooky for short) Because it’s Magic Black, collected on halloween and sales lady was called Suzannah ..
-
Artificial Noise 🤬
Thanks - a bit annoying but at least I can stop wasting time trying to work out how to do it.
-
Artificial Noise 🤬
I’ve tried using the search facility but haven’t come up with anything, but I’m sure I can’t be the first to ask the question. my VRS has the “benefit” of a fake engine noise when in Normal or Sports mode. I’ve managed to set up Individual mode without the noise, but can’t see how/where to turn the noise off when in Normal mode. Although I’m not a huge fan of the noise, it’s somehow more acceptable if in Sports mode. can anyone point me in the right direction please? (I’ve also tried RTFM but couldn’t find it in there either - but if anyone can point me to the right part of the manual that would be great)
-
Delivery times?
Thanks! I was just in the right place at the right time I guess. I put it down to fate as I was mostly happy with my Abarth but after 2 years getting a bit fed up with its “all or nothing” approach. I.e. great when you want to drive it like you stole it, but not so good if you jus want to pop to the shops. the fact that the right car was immediately available sealed the fate of the Abarth… I realised that I didn’t have any actual pictures other than the one posted, as I’d mainly taken walk round video. However I’ve now taken a couple more which are below.
-
Delivery times?
I don’t want to be “that guy”……but I will be! I was in the market for a new VRS, ideally petrol 245, DSG and estate. Looked on the Skoda “available cars” tab and there was nothing. So I was resigned to ordering one and waiting. Then I looked on website of Simpsons Skoda, and they had a brand new velvet red hatchback, 245 petrol, manual transmission, winter pack, travel pack and space saver spare tyre. Thinking about things, I thought that I could live with the hatchback and manual so decided that I’d take a run over on 20th October and if I liked it then I’d buy it. However it was a 4 hour round trip, so thought I’d call in to our local dealership to at least sit in any Octavia and check if the hatchback was going to be ok. Unbelievably as I walked in there was a Magic Black 245 petrol estate DSG brand new sat in the showroom! Apparently someone ordered it and got fed up with waiting so bought their ex demo Kodiaq VRS instead. The dealer decided to carry on with the order as they knew (1) it was going to sell quickly and (2) if it didn’t then they would put it on demo. it was so new in that they hadn’t even marked it as “available stock” flag to other dealers within their group. The car didn’t have winter pack and isn’t the “perfect” spec I’d have ordered (manual seats for example and no heated wheel) but every other box was ticked. The deal was done there and then - and in fact when I was signing stuff I had a call from Simpson to see what time I might arrive to look at their car! I picked the car up yesterday (gets it into dealers October figures) and only had to wait the 11 days as I was away on holiday last week! so maybe it is worth calling round a few dealers to see if they have anything in stock rather than wait. You never know what might be out there gratuitous picture attached too.
-
Not so much new, as back again!
Well, after a break of a couple of years after I sold my Superb L&K Estate I have returned to the fold. Since selling the Superb I’ve mostly been running around in an Abarth (so from a huge exceptionally comfortable car I went to a tiny car with a harsh ride 🤔) but eventually have decided that 2 years with the Abarth is probably enough. But no regrets about having the Abarth, just wish I could have kept the Superb but I value my marriage more… Anyway, looking around at what might work to replace the Abarth but still have enough poke to be fun I kept coming back to Skoda and in particular the Octavia VRS 245 petrol. Ideally an estate but we have another car that could do estate car duties so a hatchback could work too. And DSG would be nice.. I’d tracked a new Velvet Red manual hatch down at Simpsons in Preston, about 2 hours from where I am. My plan was to go and see the car yesterday afternoon or maybe even today at some point. However I’d not really looked at the Mk IV VRS in the flesh so while I was out and about yesterday I called in speculatively at our local dealer to see if he had even a non VRS Octavia I could have a look at/sit in. If I didn’t like it for whatever reason, I could save myself a 4 hour round trip to Preston… As I walked in to the dealership at Bradford, with swmbo, right in the middle of the showroom was a new Magic Black VRS Estate 245 petrol with DSG. A cancelled order, the guy had got fed up with waiting and bought a used Kodiaq instead. Dealer continued with the order though on the basis it would sell easily or be put on as a demo. They’d had it less than 48 hours and had not put it even on internal stock availability yet…Sounds like fate to me! Suffice it to say a deal was struck and I pick the car up on 31 October, the Abarth is being taken in as PX. I’m very much looking forward to being part of the Briskoda community again (have to say the Abarth social scene/community is also fabulous. Although I’m old enough to be the father or even grandfather of the bulk of the guys and gals over there.👨🏻🦳🤣) I’ll be spending the intervening spare time trawling through even more YouTube VRS content! Until later
-
Skoda Superb - my YouTube review
Thanks @Xgemone.
-
Skoda Superb - my YouTube review
Thanks @Client76, much appreciated 👍🏻
-
Road noise in cabin
I find the biggest factor in road noise is the road surface. I put together an overview of my Superb in the film in the link, if you whizz through to 14.25 there is a short bit where the road noise between two surfaces on the same road at the same speed is very evident. Im not a fan of the P7 tyres that the car came with, but so far they are still on the car as I can’t justify changing them!
-
So long and thanks for all the fish
Great quote....when I retired from work I left an A4 sized note on my desk saying “ So long and thanks for all the fish”. apparently it confused a number of people but I laughed to myself anyway 😂
-
Sat nav street name display.
Don’t know if this is any help, but here is a screenshot of the various options you can set on the Columbus infotainment using which I guess you have. If this doesn’t help, I’ve no other ideas! (Apart from search on YouTube and or Google to see if anything comes back)
-
Skoda Superb - my YouTube review
I’ve put together a review of my Superb Estate over on YouTube. i don’t think that anything I say will be groundbreaking for people who come here, but you might enjoy it (or not 🙄). link is here should you want to take a look
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Following on from the first impressions video, I’ve now made one one month in when we’ve had a chance to get to grips with it a bit more (the first film was made on the day we picked it up) if you’re a Zoe fanboi you might not like some of the comments - I’ve had some flack on an EV site already - but stick with it and you’ll see what I really think.. Includes a rant about public charging, me getting egg on my face when I film a super smooth charge making my previous comments seem crass, 0-60 dash, and general driving impressions.
-
Zoe ZE50 First Impressions
We seem to have been waiting ages, and today was the day that the new Zoe was collected - our first BEV ownership. We ordered on 11 Feb and with CV 19 causing all sorts of worldwide difficulties, picking up the car today isn’t that bad really. The dealer called us in yesterday to complete the paperwork which meant that handover today was completed in around 15 minutes. Initial impressions are that the build quality is as good (bad) as expected, but the overall enjoyment of driving and features etc are better than expected. I put together a video of first impressions if anyone wants to take a look