Everything posted by Rsedmonds
-
Smoking 1.6 engine
For the purpose of getting it tested I’ve used blue sealant to hold the water in but long term I’ve ordered a replacement plastic housing.
-
Gearbox linkage sloppy
Hi guys, As the title suggests I have a sloppy gearbox linkage as shown in the video below. The nut and bolt seems to be both the cure for a previous issue but also the cause of this one as it’s warn away the hole in the shaft from the gearbox making it sloppy. The seal to the gearbox for that linkage is also in need of being replaced and I’ll also in need of a clutch soon. Is this repairable (as the gearbox works fine otherwise) and if so how or should I just find a replacement box? Regards Rob IMG_5569.mov
-
Smoking 1.6 engine
Hi guys it been awhile, I received the replacement con rod just before Christmas and proceed to fit it Christmas Eve while I was off and nobody else was around 🤷🏼♂️. I then as what is becoming the norm got ill for Xmas day but over the last couple of days I’ve managed to get into the garage again. So over the last 2 days I’ve managed to get it all back together with only 2 issues, the thermostat housing has a stripped thread and the distributor has a rounded off fixing. This evening I started the car for the first time and it started sweeeet. There are a few issues to address but overall I’m well pleased! HAPPY NEW YEAR 🥳
-
Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
There is but when it comes to other manufacturers I’m not sure whether the engine codes carry over or if they have their own (but would think they would). I have looked and it’s a bit of a mind field to navigate if I’m honest.
-
Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
- Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
I’ve had a go at straightening the con rod a feel like I was getting somewhere but though I got it straight(ish) from the front from the side it still had a buckle. I’ve found a 036198401G for sale at £40 which I’m going to buy for the piece of mind it gives.- Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
I was hoping to find one locally for around the £30-40 mark but am i living in the 00's? €100 is 1/3 of what i paid for the van and as I'm working to a budget i think ill have a go at straightening it first, because like you say "I've nothing to lose" but thanks for the offer.- Smoking 1.6 engine
I can see it’s bent and putting it in a vice does sound appealing but how straight do I need to get it? Is close good enough or does it need to be perfect? Can I apply heat to help it along its way?- Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
Hi guys, I’m rebuilding my 1.6 pick up with a 1.6 EEA engine and while doing the strip I’ve noticed that I have a slightly bend con rod. Does anyone have a con rod with the marking 032D for sale? Regards Rob- Smoking 1.6 engine
BIG TROUBLE OR IS IT? I’ve cleaned the last two pistons tonight and notice an issue with number 3. This probably explains why when I did the compression test it was the lowest. Do I do what I would think is unscrupulous or replace the (what looks to me) bent con rod?- Smoking 1.6 engine
I’ve got a complete head gasket set from Erling and the bolts are BGA.- Smoking 1.6 engine
that’s the baby, for the sake of £5 I’ve ordered on today. Thanks- Smoking 1.6 engine
Hi guys just a quick update with a few pictures. I’ve now had the head skimmed as it was warped and out of spec so is looking the bees knees now. Oil poured into the barrels as a trial and it sat there for over a week and I ended up scooping it out with rags 😂 Sonic cleaner and carb clearer bought along with head bolts and gaskets. Sump removed and oil pickup removed. With all that bought I thought it was time to get the pistons out and give them a clean and measure the con rod shells. So with that in mind here’s some measurements and pics. The con rod shells to crank gap all measured roughly the same of 0.2 which according to the Haynes manual is showing little to no wear and the crank shows no damage either. The pistons all removed and again showing little wear to no wear. 2 out of the 4 pistons have been in the sonic cleaner and though when removed the looked fine (to me) the ring are moving more freely and go deeper into the piston cutout than the previously did. So that’s where I’m at right now but I’m going to be cracking on with it over the next few weeks. Just have one question, where can I get a oil pickup gasket for a 1.6 EEA engine?- Smoking 1.6 engine
Hi, I'm out in vienna doing my husbandly duties so no physical progress. I have however got carried away with the creditcard while I’ve been here and bought a sonic cleaner and carb cleaning fluid and a **** load of parts for when i return. I did put a little oil on each bore and before i left (48hrs later) there was no movement in any. Realistically movement is going to be slow going due to work and xmas commitments but hopefully it will be sorted by new-year.- Smoking 1.6 engine
I agree, the idea of having a sonic cleaner is very appealing but my useage would be once to twice a year. Don’t get me wrong, I would love one but I have limited space to store it. That said, If I find once locally at the right price I will snap it up but realistically the plan will have to be a degreaser/detergent worked in with a tooth brush.- Smoking 1.6 engine
looks like I’m going deeper into an engine than I’ve ever been but I’m up for the challenge. What alternatives are there to using a ultrasonic cleaner as I don’t have one?- Smoking 1.6 engine
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum after buying a cheap pick up with a 1.6 engine swap with a plan to slowly get it back on the road and do some learning on the way. So with that said I’ll start with the issues I see and slowly (with your help) work my way through them. Firstly it smokes, it’s starts slowly but as the engine warms up the smoke gets heavier. It’s white smoke with a sweet smell. But the cylinders are covered in oil (picture below) is this what I’d expect to see with a blown cylinder head gasket? I’ve taken some compression reading of the engine both hot and cold and again attached a picture, do they look right? Thanks in advance Rob - Con Rod for 1.6 EEA engine wanted
Important Information
Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.