VRS Long Life Oil

After 11,000 miles my oil light came on yesterday and I went to buy some oil. I had heard from friends that the engine was oil hungry (which mines isnt) and VW/Skoda were very anal about using specific oil.... So, ended up in Halfords buying Castrol Edge at £43.99 :mad:

I paid it and filled the car with the premium oil..... and then got home to surf the internet and found another forum mentioning that Castrol Edge is on sale at Costco for 15.99. Is this the best price around for this oil and does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers

The Castrol Edge oil at Costco is more than adequate for the TFSI engine on longlife servicing.

At one time my Skoda dealer was selling Castrol SLX II which is what Edge has replaced.

As long as it is VW504/507 5W-30 then it will be fine.

There are quite a few different versions of Castrol Edge so are you comparing like with like, ie the same version and quantity? Your car needs Castrol Edge 5W-30 - a spec VW 504 00/507 00 LongLife oil- which sells at anything up to £49.99 for 4 litres. If available at £15.99 that would be an absolute bargain. But if the wrong version, it would be a disaster!

Just had a quick search of Costco and Castrol Edge and it would appear that it IS the 504 00/507 00 version.

Thanks for the tip...just bought myself 3 x 1L for just over £15 inc Vat...so about a fiver a litre...the same stuff my dealer flogged me last week for £13 a litre...all £70+ of it !!!!

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the tip...just bought myself 3 x 1L for just over £15 inc Vat...so about a fiver a litre...the same stuff my dealer flogged me last week for £13 a litre...all £70+ of it !!!!

Now even cheaper there; picked up a three pack of 1 litres for £9.99+VAT on Monday...

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks all! :thumbup:

Paid £23.42 inc. vat in Aberdeen Costco on Saturday for two 3x1 litre packs. Yes, six litres of Edge for £23.42 - so I'm absolutely delighted!

Have done over 900 miles :D on the way home with the new vRS, so will get myself a filter home and change the oil asap. Couldn't remember the exact spec of oil required, but took a gamble that it was the right stuff and it paid off. :)