1.4tdi

Hi,

How economical is the 1.4tdi? I am trying to work out if petrol or diesel is better suited for my missus. She travels roughly 50 miles a day and I am wondering is the extra cost of sooty fuel gonna balance out with the extra mpg? She is by no means a heavy right footed driver so any feedback would be appreciated cheers :)

If it's 25 miles each way, my bet would be on the diesel. Best to get her behind the wheel of one on a test drive first though as she may hate/fear(?!) the throttle response.

Another option would be the Fiesta ST 1.6 DCi.

J.

Diesel costs about 10% more than petrol at the mo, but you'll definitely get more than 10% better mpg from a diesel than a petrol with the same power. The whole diesel / petrol economics debate usually focusses on how much more a diesel car costs to buy compared to a petrol - but I think this isn't as big a difference for used cars?

She is currently driving a 1997 Primera 2.0TD Battle tank so throttle response is not a fear lol

wow is that thing still going :D lol!

i could be wrong with my maths, but:

1.4i

43 mpg combi

40 litres x £1.12

£44.80

=378.40 miles from 40 litres of fuel at the combi MPG

=0.118 pence per mile (i think?!)

1.4tdi

61 mpg combi

40 litres x £1.25

£50

=536.80 miles from 40 litres of fuel

=0.093 pence per mile

so you get a extra 158 miles from 40 litres of fuel and the cost per mile is less on the diesel. add in the extra saving on the RFL and you save even more

If it's 25 miles each way, my bet would be on the diesel. Best to get her behind the wheel of one on a test drive first though as she may hate/fear(?!) the throttle response.

Another option would be the Fiesta ST 1.6 DCi.

J.

my wfe has got a 1.4tdi '07 and the throttle response is very good. it most def no slouch. 35.00 rfl economy 60+ . looked at the petrol (every time she fills up i get 'petrols cheaper') but the black fuel works out better overall.

my wfe has got a 1.4tdi '07 and the throttle response is very good. it most def no slouch. 35.00 rfl economy 60+ . looked at the petrol (every time she fills up i get 'petrols cheaper') but the black fuel works out better overall.

I was thinking more in terms of the initial slugishness if the turbo's off boost, say pulling out of a junction, followed by a sudden rush and wheelspin/hopping, when it finally spools up. It can be intimidating or offputting.

J.

Well I have just bought her a 3 door 52 Polo 1.4tdi with climatronic :D It was too good a deal 43K on the clock full VW service history (including cambelt change) for £4K I am most happy with it. It is a bit sluggish from the off but once going it's sweet I think, 3rd gear is v punchy too. Couldn't find a Fabia that could come near it price wise unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

1.4tdi diesel any time - very ecomonical - especially if her right foot vis light ,and she can use the display to see how to get it down .My figures for a 1000+trip (at instant ban territory are about 50mpg),and on trips to work more like 60