Brand New VRS Engine Mounts snapped

Anyone got a pic of the mount in question ?

I have in two pieces - mine didn't break, but came unbolted from the Engine Block - on vehicle inspection they dismantled the mount

DSCF0836.jpg

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0833.jpg

Mount is in this area

DSCF0827.jpg

i'm certain this is the mount others are having trouble with

I had a similar problem last week. About a month ago the car (08 vRS PD) started making a very slight clunk when setting off from a standstill and when the clutch had been fully released. No other problems, after about a week the noise went away and I thought nothing more of it. Then last saturday as I was reversing out of the drive there was a pretty large bang, and during the brief drive up and down the road again it was banging into every gear and the engine noise was substantially louder.

When the recovery van turned up (both Skoda Assistance and Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield were extremely helpful by the way) and after 20 minutes spent under the car, he had found that instead of being an engine mount as I had initially thought, that one of the gearbox mounts had sheared clean off, and pretty much destroyed part of the gearbox casing - so the car is now sat at Skoda in Chesterfield awaiting a new gearbox, which should turn up early next week.

Bit of a pain in th'****, butso far I'm very impressed with the service both from Skoda Assistance and the service dept at Gordon Lambs in Chesterfield. :) And yes, before anyone says, I do now realise that I should have taken the car in the first time it started making the noise! :D

VAG are getting into the habit of not recalling cars, as it damages their reputation for building very well engineered cars. Truth is, they've been going downhill for at least the last 10 years, sing cheaper grades of metals, and shaving pennies here and there.

The new shape passat 1.9 and 2.0 diesels have a frighteningly regular failure rate in the electronic fuel pumps. The fuel being fed back into the tank is too hot, and the warm fuel is causing the pumps to fail. Some folk are getting as little as 30k miles out of them, some as much as 60k. But they are all failing. VAG wont recall it, partly because they cant get enough pumps made fast enough to fit to their new cars, let alone replace FOC the ones that are failing. (i got 33k, and then my car was in their shop for 8 weeks waiting on a pump, as the whole of europe has them on back order)

There were 2 manufacturers, now there is only 1, as the 2nd had the faulty ones.

My Passat might just be the last VAG car i buy. Its a shame, as My Octy1 has needed ONLY a hazard light switch, which was suplied and fitted for £55. (otherwse, only wear and tear items like tyres, brakes etc)

• 4 months later...

I have a 1.9 TDi Octavia 2006

The engine has just broken off it's mounts on the drivers side.

Open up the bonnet and the engine is about 5 inches lower but still drives - if a little shaky. At the garage now however.

Just waiting to hear from Skoda if they will cover it under warantee of which I have a year left since buying it.

Any tips on getting this sorted? There is no way I could afford paying for the replacement engine block.

This looks like a common problem - Please advise a rather stressed Skoda newbie

Ah!

Milo

A friend of mine had an '04 Golf MkV 1.9 TDi and had the same problem. I was in the car at the time too - he pulled away (allbeit a little enthusiastically) and there was a bang and the car sounded like a bag of spanners and didn't feel right to drive. Turned out he broke the mounts. Pretty poor really if you ask me.