1.4 8v mpi owners...

I was only getting around 28mpg in my 52 plate Fabia Mpi. I gave it an oil change / Air filter change and ran some injector cleaner through the tank.

I also changed the way I drive and gear up at around 20k.

Since then my mpg has increased to about 38mpg. :)

I was only getting around 28mpg in my 52 plate Fabia Mpi. I gave it an oil change / Air filter change and ran some injector cleaner through the tank.

I also changed the way I drive and gear up at around 20k.

Since then my mpg has increased to about 38mpg. :)

20k !! You'd not make it up some of the hills around here changing up that soon. You gotta redline 2nd, 4.5k 3rd and you'll cruse at 60mph all the way to the top, anything less and you loose too much power and end up labouring the engine.

But I agree that in-town driving can be very relaxed and 2-2.5k is what I would normally do too.

Hi all.

Newbie here .. first post infact. Please do not flame me!!!

@Redfab

I drive a 1.4MPi as well, 82K gives me about 38-40 mpg in a mix city + motorway run. The worst I've ever got was 30 mpg when I was absolutely thrashing it (for what the little engine is capable of) in a hilly area up in North Wales [stunning roads by the way]. My most economical run has been a 45+ mpg cruise at just under 70 mph (It was a bet! .. not to break the speed limit even once for even a second.)

I absolutely LOVE my car. Might have something to do with the fact that its my first fully own car (as in the first car bought with my own money by working my own a** off 9 to 5 .. as opposed to driving my dad's cars .. hehe). My suggestion to you would be that either you can try and swap cars with your GF (cos VAG diesels tend to be a lot lesser driver sensitive in their mpg imho) or if thats not an option and she absolutely CANNOT do with this car might I suggest you try and have a look in the used car market. There are definately some pretty good options at even half the £15k u intend (might have to) spend. And with modern engines and lubricants buying a used vehicle now is hardly the minefield of bad engines/parts it used to be earlier (if u get my drift).

Hope this helps mate .. keep us posted on the update.

@BoilingPoint

Very true your comment about the roads and the breathtaking countryside :) ... shame about the number of speed cams though :(

I dont actually live there mate .. used to live in Cardiff, moved to Essex a year ago but I still make it a point to head to Brecons and Snowdonia atleast once every 3 - 4 months just to get away from the rat race.

Do you actually really only get 32 mpg even when ur cruising along? I havent had my furby for too long now (6 months) and with the rising fuel prices that kind of cost scares me.!

Nah' it is better when cruising, however, there are so many knobs around these parts that assume just because your driving a skoda that your going to be slow and not know how to drive. That I end up getting mad at them cutting me up etc... and kinda show them what the car's capable of. Childish I know, but I just can't help myself sometimes. I gotta laugh when some boy racer tailgates me and is riding the white line looking for an opportunity to overtake. That as soon as the road is clear I floor it and the look of surprise on their face is worth a thousand words. Sure they stay with me on the straights, but through the corners or roundabouts, they simply don't know how to extract the best from their cars. By the time they catch back up to me, they've learned something and tend to not tailgate any more...

The new car thing has gone to the back of her mind at the minute. She has other things occupying her thoughts right now with the wedding. Women!

We also drove a verso 2.0 diesel last week and it seemed to be a bit of a dog! Was around 45k and 05 reg for just under 10k! Not the cheapest 3.5 year old car! Although the room is great it just wasnt doing it for me and she was not impressed either.

When im looking im after something which has a bit of poke to it, and is ok for insurance, mpg, and the dreaded ever increasing road tax! Trying to find something which meets all of the above, AND meets the approval of the girlfriend is damn hard I tell you!! ;).

• 4 months later...

An update incase anyone's interested! Still have the Fab! The wedding followed by increasing credit crunch and a new bathroom has sapped any funds and hope of taking on more debt to buy a newer car! Common sense has temporarily prevailed!!!

in the past 5 months or so a spring snapped and the box section of the clutch pedal went (common problem apparently) but other than that the old doll is still going strong! Well chuffed!

Glad to hear it! The MPi isn't the most sophisticated motor, but its roots date date back to an era when 'roadside assistance' meant the tool-roll it came with from the factory - so if nothing else, it's fairly rugged and easy to look after! :thumbup:

With my experience i'd say it really is all in how you drive it.

Driving around town i'd see about 19mpg. Out on the open road, with attention to driving, i've been able to achieve 45-50mpg. Really is less fun when your in economy mode though!

For what reasons does she want to change the car?

They're easy to service yourself, can be styled so it doesnt look like an 8 year old car, easy to insure, personally i love them.

25474.attach

lol... yea but we all know that white paint makes it gain at least 75Bhp... ehem.

Just for the record the gains are:

Red: 50Bhp

Yellow: 60Bhp

White 75Bhp

Black:80Bhp

Am I trying too hard?

-Duggie.

For what reasons does she want to change the car?

She's female. No common sense reason.

Only kidding. She wants (or indeed wanted) a faster newer car.

Duggie - ours is red so id say your figures are just about accurate.

Hi, My g/f has a w reg 1.4 mpi fabia comfort. Read that they are poor on fuel. She drives it and gets around 29-32 mpg. I drive it and get around 38 or so. It does 40-42 on a long run too. What is everyone else with these cars getting?

She also wants rid of it but I love it :-

+ - Old and not worth too much (less to worry about)

+ - Decent economy (at least I think so)

+ - Good on tax (W reg 2000 - not likely to increase in next few years)

+ - Cheap insurance.

+ - No timing belt to have to change/complicated mechanicals to break.

Trying to talk some sense into her - a garage would only offer 1K if she was lucky - id rather give her 1k myself and keep it as a second/economy car!

Anyone elses mpg/views on this particular model appreciated - am i the only one who thinks this little car is great & is there something wrong with me for doing so?

Cheers!

Just do what I do to my SWMBO give her a slap and tell her to by a Fabia VRS problem solved nice car bought, good fuel eco and saves the £200 a month on finance ;)

I have a 1.4 mpi classic Y reg 115K. It always does 41mpg on a run assuming the mileometer is accurate. Say 39mpg allowing for 5% mileometer error. The idles a bit rough and all the smoothness has long gone but its still on the original timing chain. The on/off clutch and poor throttle response means its a bit jerky changing gear. Not a great drive IMO but with luck i should see 200K+

@ Redfab

The girlfriends last fabia used to get about 25mpg, until we changed the lambda sensor, plugs, air filter etc. after that we got about 45mpg combined so its worth giving it a good ol' service.

....Then she turned it upside down. Damnit.

The corrent fabia she has (y reg) has a failed lambda sensor as far as i can see from scantool, and runs in open loop most of the time. yet this car still gets 40mpg combined, should be better once this is replaced.

Edited by davegsm82

• 1 month later...

I keep on top of the main service items, and have recently changed plugs, air filter, and oil etc. along with the thermostat. I conclude that the mpg is just down to her driving as if i take it on a run it does ok. Still a cracking car!

• 6 months later...

Well I have managed to get her to hold onto it for a while but the trusty W reg 1.4 mpi Skud Fab (£120 a year tax!) will be on its way soon.

A deal has been done for the wife to get herself a new Nissan Qashqai and the fab is being turned into the 2 grand off as Nissan are doing it for 8yr old cars and over.

A bit sad really but things must move on I guess.