FSI Tappets

On about 7 start ups out of 10 my 1.6 FSI emits a loud tappet clatter for 2 to 3 seconds. I know this is caused by oil draining out of the hydraulic tappet(s) when stationary, but I believe that this should be prevented by non-return valve(s).

The problem is the dealers seem to adopt the attitude of "they all do that", but mine did not appear until the car was 13 months old, and even then its only 7 out of 10 starts.

So my question - has anyone out there had any success in having this problem fixed by a dealer?

Thanks

I am sure this is tappet clatter, and none of the above answers the questions:

Why did it take 13 months to appear?

Why only 7 out of 10 starts?

This leads me to think something has started to happen intermittently after 13 months.

Why only 7 out of 10 starts?

Could depend on factors that will affect the rate the oil drains out of the system

Length of time it has been standing? More time for it to drain

Length of trip? If the oil is really hot it will have lower viscosity and drain more easily.

Acoustic effects? Starting up in a garage, near a wall or next to another parked car will amplify the sound by reflecting back.

OR

3x out of 10 SWMBO is in the car with you and drowns out the sound by yabbering on at you - "stop being so fussy, it's only a bit of noise..." :D

Could depend on factors that will affect the rate the oil drains out of the system

Length of time it has been standing? More time for it to drain

Length of trip? If the oil is really hot it will have lower viscosity and drain more easily.

Acoustic effects? Starting up in a garage, near a wall or next to another parked car will amplify the sound by reflecting back.

Yep, all valid points, but I guess my fundamental question is should the oil drain from the tappets at all? Surely there is a non return valve or valves to prevent this from happening.