more on climatronic failure

So, as planned, I go on the diagnostics at Clarion, West Worthing (done for free, by the way) for my lack of cold air. Report is that it is 80% gassed still and is running at correct 6 BAR, so it is very unlikely there would be zero cool air. An "under warranty" fault is implicated, probably a control unit.

I'm told that so long as I report it and get it logged in at an authorised dealer before warranty runs out, it doesn't matter when I get it done i.e. if repair falls after the warranty runs out on June 30.

So I go straight down to Rivervale, the local warranty people and am told, no, it has to be FIXED before warranty runs out.

Does ANYBODY know what they are talking about these days? Who's right? Anyway it is booked in for 26/6 so is covered.

But a couple of good points - apparently, to check out and repair the climatronic, it has to be drained and regassed first anyway. So hopefully I will get a free re-gassing as part of the repair. Also, my insurers will insure me on the Rivervale courtesy car without the slightest admin charge - I've never had that before.

Roll on July!!!!

I would have thought that if you have documentary evidence that you reported the fault before the warranty period expires you're in the clear. It's not your fault if they can't sort it out earlier.

That's what I thought, and what Clarion told me, but Rivervale simply said that they HAVE to do it before the warranty expires so they cram it in come what may.

I think they would have a hard time sticking to that philosophy if you made a fuss.

As it is, they have messed up my own plans because the only day they could offer me was 26/6, and I'd booked my annual service with Clarion for 27/6 . That will have to be moved probably because I'm pretty sure Rivervale will have to order parts and keep the car on the 27th as well.

I have to say that when I phoned Clarion later today to explain this they were extremely understanding and insisted I get the warranty job done as priority. I wish they were still a main dealer, though if they were they'd probably have to be more expensive.

I know from experience, when i had a Nissan it failed it's 1st MOT 4 days before the warrenty ran out due to an engine ECU. The garage was fully booked for the next 5 days, so what they did was keep the car in, on the last day of warrenty wheeled the car into the service area and opened the bonnet, which ment they had started work on it within warrenty period so it was covered. Good job to as the end bill came to £3400 to get through it's 1st mot.

needless to say 2months after that when the problem started again it was chopped in for our 1st skoda.

Update on my nil cold air. Compressor failure - no stock at Skoda so put on back order till mid July (couldn't have happened in winter, could it!)

On the good side, it is a warranty job, so no charge for regassing either.

Rivervale turned up trumps, courtesy car etc no problem, and even gave mine a wash and hoover during the three hours they had it. Can't complain (for once!)

Also means I can go ahead with 3 year service at Clarion tomorrow as planned.

Well I've just had my air con magically stop working at 60400 miles even though it weant for a full service the week before at 59800 and no faults were found !!! The only cause of action I've been told is to have a skoda air con service @ £70 (even though a friend runs a car air con business and has had a look and says it's not the gas could be the compressor). After that I was quoted £140 for a diagnostic check then I'm at the mercy of Skoda whether any warrenty will be honoured.

Well I've just had my air con magically stop working at 60400 miles even though it weant for a full service the week before at 59800 and no faults were found !!! The only cause of action I've been told is to have a skoda air con service @ £70 (even though a friend runs a car air con business and has had a look and says it's not the gas could be the compressor). After that I was quoted £140 for a diagnostic check then I'm at the mercy of Skoda whether any warrenty will be honoured.

Normal warranty is 3 years. Is yours within that, or did you buy any extension?

Regassing on its own is not a warranty job - just counts as a consumable.

Warrenty is limited to 60k or 3 years which ever is the sooner car is 2 years old with 60.5k on. It went in for a service before the 60k to iron out any little niggles and this wasn't mentioned but went magically after the 60k had expired

Warrenty is limited to 60k or 3 years which ever is the sooner

Not quiet correct, the first 2 years of warranty is unlimited mileage, it does not matter if you exceed 60K miles in this period. The important thing is that if you have exceeded 60K by the end of year 2, then the warranty will end at that point. If you are short of 60K, and you then reach 60K during year 3 then your warranty will expire.

Just got back from a straightforward 3rd annual service (£101 - not too bad for these days). Had chat with manager about my compressor failure.

Thank goodness the warranty is still in force - he reckons they are £500 to £700, plus fitting. Bl**dy expensive way to keep cool.

He reckons modern cars are packed with costly gadgets waiting to go wrong!!

Having said that, they (Clarion) have been involved with Skodas for years, and he said he has never had to replace a compressor.