Felicia M.O.T failure today.

Well, I thought i`d pass onto you what the M.O.T. tester said to me and see if you can come up with anything. He really has no idea where to start looking and it will be next week if/when he can do the work!!!

First it`s a Felicia 1.3 LXi Plus, I know it`s a SPi engine, 65,000 miles on the clock. Replaced thermostat yesterday and now temp gauge now works.

It`s failed on...

001 Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

002 Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive

003 Centre rear exhaust system has part of the system excessively deteriorated

I have enquired about a new exhaust system and not sure if I need a catalyst exhaust or not, would that help my poor emissions or not???

I have the emissions read out if someone understands what it all means... it reads

MIN.MAX. Meas. Result Oil Temperature *C 80 _ _ _ OK Cooling Fan

Fast idle test ... Fail

Engine speed /min 2458 2850 2630 Pass

CO % 0.30 0.32 Fail

HC ppm 200 84 Pass

Lambda 0.97 1.03 1.079 Fail

2.Fast idle test Engine spead /min 2450 2850 2540 Pass

HC ppm 200 15 Pass

Lambda 0.97 1.03 1.086 Fail

Natur.Idle Test Pass

Engine speed /min

700 900 820 Pass

CO % 0.50 0.35 Pass

Exhaust Emissions Test Overall Result FAILED

I have no experience or knowledge on how to fix this, just hope someone knows what it all means and what I have to do to get it through the M.O.T.

Cheers Circlip

I would put a temp sender in it as the old one could be telling the ecu that the temp is low and giving it exessive fuel, thus raising the gas levels

on the exhaust front, if it aint blowwing or hangig off it shouldnt fail

Mine failed on exhaust condition and emissions last year. The tester assured me that once I got the exhaust replaced the emissions would come back within limits - and he was right. I would be inclined to wait and see if the same works for you before you think about replacing the catalyst (unless of course the cat itself is actually holed) although the service items which others have suggested above may well help.

Hmmm...looks like i`ve got lots to do and so I had a look through my Haynes manual to see what I can do without taking it to a garage.

I did a repair on the centre box of exhaust before M.O.T. but it was also puffing out at the rear box underneath. It`s like it should be there to let water out though I maybe wrong. :confused:

Anyway, i`ve got a friend that works for an exhaust manifacture and for £65 for a full exhaust system...without the CAT, do I need the CAT??? How easy is it to remove the lambda sensor, basically i`m prone to knacker that up and not too keen on undoing the bolts on manifold/exhaust !!!

As for has it been serviced, erm no not by me. Had the Felicia a year and changed the oil and filter, air filter. Just had a look and air filter was squished up at one side...me not fitting it right last year...hohumm :o everything is fastened down tightly though, one on order to replace !

I will (try to) do the valve clearances at the weekend as they seems to be a little ratterly to me. :(

A new temp sender is something I thought I should have done when changing thermostat so will order one anyway. It`s just the exhaust that worries me and do I need a catalytic converter as it would be more efficient in the long run.

Well, i`m off on Sunday and Monday so will get on with some fettling and let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all replies, Circlip

Ok! Jobs that i`ve done today, yesterday I worked to get some extra cash.

New air filter, tappits checked and there were a few that were out of the correct clearances...my friend helped me out on the rule of 9 :confused:....still....:confused: ! Well I do understand the rule of nine but it`s just that I could not understand the basic setting up of the valve clearances.:o

New centre-box and back-box part of exhaust fitted outside my house on the road, will need to get some new contact rubber things. I`m taking a chance on not replacing the Cat. The centre section of exhaust was holed at the top of the pipe and the back-box (where the water escape hole is) was perforated slightly, so i`m hoping that will be enough...:(.

Felicia is booked in for a check-up on the lambda sensor and will ask if a D-Tox fuel system cleaner as it might benifit a clean-out of everything.

That`s all for now folks, thanks for all your suggestions.

M.O.T. by the end of the week....:)

yeh i agree with above i take my car to uncals garage to get it mot'd and know the tester i was there when he mot'd it and it was just failing on the emmions so thrashed it near the redline for 5 miles down the 66 then it passed straight away when we got back :) also try putting some injector cleaner you can get in the tank before you give it a thrash ;)

Phew!!! My Felicia passed the M.O.T. this morning. :thumbup:

I got it there just on time as it was booked in for 8.30am. Thought i`d give it a thrash and warmed it up and clear it`s nose....if you see what I mean.

It was like waiting for an arrival of a baby....and I don`t have any kids....:rofl: .... it was not looking good at first becauce it failed on one part but he waited 3 mins and tried again and then passed on 2nd and 3rd parts of emissions test. I have some nails left at least on my right hand....:rolleyes:.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions as to what I should do. :D

Untill next time ... ttfn ... Circlip