Somebody must know the answer to this!

Hi everyone, just passed my driving test on saturday so I've been out in the car a lot! , i've noticed that when you lift the clutch up completely in any gear, and let the revs drop, the car takes over and keeps driving itself, I just wanted to know if all the fabias have this or just the SDI or the diesels? and also does anybody know what its called, I've noticed its very handy when keeping to the speed limits, sort of like free cruise control! thanks in advance.

Josh

It's an anti-stall function; most modern cars will have it. Just don't rely on it as 'free cruise control' as it's not 100% foolproof (quite handy in traffic like you say, though! :) )

I found in mine that when queuing I can take my foot off the clutch with no revs and let the car drive itself at 5 or 6 mph - you very rarly need to brake then, until you get the guy behind you who can't drive urging you to hurry up because you arn't glued to the bumper in front.

My dad's Octavia TDi is good for this. Pulls up the hill going up to the house with no throttle just by going through the box. does 30 in 5th going uphill with no throttle. I think its down to the torque it's got./

Does this not happen because of the fact that any engine has a tickover speed of at least a few hundred rpm?

All I know is that my 1.4 Polo will do it on a flat but not nearly as well as the Octavia. The best I've seen for that is my mates old Transit. You could come off the clutch in 1st as quickly as possible and it would not stall. It would just go down the road on it's own!

I've noticed this on my 1.9TDI pd. It can really pull almost like a cruise control but at low speed. (yes I do have the cruise switched off!!)Can't say I've experienced this in some decades of driving other cars. maybe it's just more noticeable on a small car. The anti-stall idea sounds about right though.