My first trip up the strip. . . . . . .time any good?

Ok, i went to the GTi festival at santa pod sunday, great day, even though we had to hold out till mid afternoon to see the sun, and track open. I wasnt going to bother at first, since i didnt fancy waitin ages, and takin the old girl up the track at 117k. However, after seeing two of the other stand members going round and round only waiting a few min each time, and thinking i give it the odd thrashin on the road, which isnt really any different, i went for it.

Anyway, i done 5 runs, first was a 16.8, and my best was 16.6, however, it wasnt ideal conditions, and that was with asr on. Was the times about right? Does anyone have any tips for future runs? Next time i would like to take asr off and have ago.

We had 3 vrs`s (fabia`s) on our stand, and i saw one other yellow one!

Thanks

Matt

I assume its a standard VRS? Mine did a 15.5 at the Pod but it was remapped. Standard I believe they do mid to low 16's so yeah your time isn't bad considering the conditions. And yes you should try with the ASR off. It didn't help mine at all.

Neil

Hey dude. You didn't even mention Bucks VAG....tut tut.

Your runs were about right I would say and watching you go you seemed to get goot starts and looked to be changeing gear at the right time.

Also you didn't mention the headwind, I would say that was worth at least 1/2 a second.

ASR off, off, off! Apart from that you should be good to drop into low 16s and mabye touch into high 15s, depending on the conditions next time.

ASR off and try to match the amount of revs off the line, with the conditions available. Usually helped by watching other people and picking up on info on conditions :thumbup:

Steve

After numerous trips to the Pod, my best time with my vRS in standard trim with everything still in the car was 16.03secs@84mph. Took a lot of practice and a exceptionally good track, but I would run 16.1 - 16.3 secs all day every day.

Drop your tyres pressures a bit, 18psi was my preferred. Launch at about 1600-1750 rpm, hold the clutch on the biting point when you can feel it just start to drag a bit, then quickly out with the clutch, don't side step, you should hear the tyres squeal a bit, but wheelspin should be avoided. Go for the change to second early, 3500rpm, otherwise you bang straight into the rev limiter, be quick but smooth on the 1st/2nd change otherwise it will spin the wheels. After that change at 4250rpm and keep your foot planted.

That's the theory. Putting it into practice is a lot more tricky, but when you get it right, the car just flies.