Superb V6 Tdi Auto... opinions please

My 04 V6 Tdi manual is absolutely brilliant.

We bought this car 6 weeks ago as a back-up for our chauffeur fleet and have done 3500 miles with it and it is returning 42.3 mpg

We also run Mercedes E class and Jaguar XJ6 cars and our customers have been delighted with the space and comfort in the rear

It does like BP ultimate btw, runs even smoother and from lower reves... I can 2nd how nice that car is, as you'll note from my signature.....

I thought residuals were actually pretty reasonable after the initial 1st year drop. Bought it 18 months old and it retained 68% over my 2.5 years of ownership.

Only expenses were usual servicing costs (20k miles between them) and new pirelli's every 20k miles.

Amazing motorway cruiser, and great for taking bikes to mountain biking centres. You buy what you need, may not be everyones cup of tea but served me well, and had very little cost to change to my octy

Thanks for rising to the bait, lads.

The Superb is just about as ugly as the tarted up Allegro - I always park mine with its nose to the wall so I can't see it. The back end's not too bad.

I agree with all the comments relating to the V6 being a good car to drive in terms of engine performance (pity about the drunken handling though) - it's very relaxing. The only problem is that it bites you twice in the wallet - road tax and long term maintenance. Most cars are good whilst they are fairly new but the 1.9 is a better long term prospect.

rotodiesel.

Wow, how very insightful.

Now be honest rotodiesel are you actually Jeremy Clarkson in disguise?

So what do you intend to replace your Superb with if it is causing you that many problems?

Why did you buy it in the first place if you find it so ugly?

Thanks for rising to the bait, lads.

The Superb is just about as ugly as the tarted up Allegro - I always park mine with its nose to the wall so I can't see it. The back end's not too bad.

rotodiesel.

:confused: I think it's a rather handsome looker myself, and better than the Passat it's derived from, saying should've been .......Superb, the Passat you always promised yourself. :D

Wow, how very insightful.

Now be honest rotodiesel are you actually Jeremy Clarkson in disguise?

So what do you intend to replace your Superb with if it is causing you that many problems?

Why did you buy it in the first place if you find it so ugly?

Turning this against Rotodiesel...? :thumbdwn:

He's stated many times before, the Superb is the cheapest and most practical way of getting an AWX engine in a good sized package. Additionally he's had few major problems with the car - indeed very few of us have - most of his points centre around design flaws.

In any case, if everyone purchased vehicles based on aesthetics alone, why do so many people drive vans?

James, you don't read my posts very carefully - my Superb has given me very few problems indeed, just a lazy seatbelt return which was fixed under warranty.

I have no immediate plans to replace my Superb - it was bought to do a job, not as a garden ornament. It does that job very well indeed with an impressive ratio of performance to fuel consumption - it's a workhorse/taxi/towcar.

My major gripes are simply that the Superb was released with all of the known faults of the B5.5 Passat which suggests unbelievable dishonesty on the part of VAG. I have also found my dealings with VAG UK to be unrewarding in every way and consequently unlikely to minimise my transportation costs. That's why I won't have another.

rotodiesel.

Its good to gauge everyones individual opinions on these models, i think regardless of v6 vs 1.9tdi debates, i'm still settled on the elegance spec, purely because i like the leather trim and the other options.

I appreciate the comments on the v6 being an "outdated" design and stuff, but in the same school of thought, my Octavia 110tdi isnt a PD engine but i think refinement wise and driveability its on a par with my old company 130pd superb.

I suspect i will end up looking for a 1.9 elegance after the summer, and will probably go for a manual, because ive got a friend who's got a 130 tip passat and i'm not overkeen on the way the gearbox seems indecisive as to which gear to be in most of the time.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

:thumbup:

130 tip passat and i'm not overkeen on the way the gearbox seems indecisive as to which gear to be in most of the time.:thumbup:

I do not think that the Superb V6 TIP can be faulted on that score. It would be nice if it changed up a bit quicker, especially fourth to fifth, but then that is what the TIP is for.

...My major gripes are simply that the Superb was released with all of the known faults of the B5.5 Passat...

Probably because it is a Passat B5.

You make it sound like your Superb has been nothing but trouble and to top it off you don't even like to look at it and to rub salt into the wound according to yourself the Superb suffers with "truly apalling residuals".

You don't seem very consistent in your opinion on the Superb, sometimes it reads like you want to own the car and other times it reads like it was forced upon you by someone else.

In keeping with everyone else, I'll end this with a helpful smiley. :thumbup:

Just to add my 2p's worth, I had the pleasure of Co-driving fofo's Superb to Prague a couple of years ago.

It was a truly delightful drive on the autobahns at quite high speeds, It was a manual 'box, get it in the right gear and the torque was amazing, made for effortless cross continent cruising.

I have also drivern Auto versions which offers a very relaxed way of travel.

If i had room on my drive, i would have one sitting on it :thumbup:

I would like to add my comments. I agree with all the POSITIVE comments on the V6 TDI. I have had a 55 plate for 18 months and am absolutely delighted with it inaa respects. Sure the Tax now has had a hammering from the chancellor P**tt and that's unfortunate but it does not make me think I wish i hadn't bought it.

I luv the car to bits!!!!