Octavia Service Interval

Not too sure how this 'variable' service interval works !

I have a Octavia 4x4 2.0TDi. Bought new March 2007. Was told at the time of buying, 'servicing was every 20k miles, or two years'.

It now has 13,500 miles on the clock, 15 months old, and service warning light stating service required in 500 miles.

14k miles and 15 months old is a bit short of 20k miles or two years, as stated at time of purchase.

The car is driven to and from work, (20 miles there, 20 miles back), 3 or 4 times a week, 60-70 mph for the majority of the journey, plus some fairly long trips of greater than 180 miles once a month or so.

So, is 14k service interval miles okay for this type of driving, or should I be expecting a bit more, i.e. nearer the 20k miles?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Is this your first oil change, mate?

As my impression is that the first oil change always occurs earlier. Variable service interval states "up to" XXX miles. However, it really depends on the electronic device checking the oil quality an it is really variable.

It should also depends on the trade mark of the oil used.

Hi, and thanks for replying.

The car has never had an oil change, not even after 1000 miles, which I thought strange, but was told it was not required. So, this is the first time it has had anything done to the engine.

The oil I use to top up is that recommended by the owners handbook. It costs about £40 for 4 litres, so I imagine it must be good stuff. It hasn't really required much in the way of topping up.

One of the reasons I went for this car was the 20k mile service interval. Just feel a bit 'done by', as it needs servicing after only 14k miles.

Thanks again.

Snowie

As FF says, its variable. Why have a term variable if it was fixed at 20k. It changes depending on usage and can be anywhere between 9300 and 18600.

Mine first service pinged up at 19100 miles. Higher than I was expecting as much of my driving is on A roads, but it all worked out fine. It'll be interesting to see how far away the second one will be.

mine was bought just after yours and now has 16k but its only about 1.5k off the 20k limit. try some oil from shell and make sure all your fluids are topped up well.