'Routine' maintenance

I'm going to do some annual maintenance on my '06 2.5TDI. Can anyone advise me:

• The full content of VAG Passat TSB 51B8 which I believe suggests that the drain grommet underneath the battery tray is completely removed
  • The VW part no. for the suspension bolts which sieze up.

Thanks in advance

(Car has now done 44k mls, oil/filter every 10k, going to do front pads 1st time with above. Engine might be an old dog - but it does growl nicely when you kick it around a bit...........:):))

Edited by ericsuperbee
Update

I'm going to do some annual maintenance on my '06 2.5TDI. Can anyone advise me:

• The full content of VAG Passat TSB 51B8 which I believe suggests that the drain grommet underneath the battery tray is completely removed
  • The VW part no. for the suspension bolts which sieze up.

Thanks in advance

(Car has now done 44k mls, oil/filter every 10k, going to do front pads 1st time with above. Engine might be an old dog - but it does growl nicely when you kick it around a bit...........:):))

Get the parts at GSF same quality cheaper prices, the bolt is the pinch bolt and at 44k yours will be seized and will need a mechanic whose done them before to get them out, as for the grommet I'd leave it out given the history of problems it causes, brake pads will be less than £50 all round at GSF but beware you need a wind back tool to do the rears or you will ruin the pistons in the calipers, these are about £15 or £20 at halfords and try not to copper slip the pads in the usual way, it only serves to remove the backing gripper that is on them and then they rattle. hth.

If your car is an '06 you should be able to get these bolts out unless you take your Superb for a paddle in the sea. The ones on my car came out fairly easily when I bought it at 2 years old - they now come out extremely easily. So, re-use the existing bolts and renew the self-locking nuts according to your own judgement.

VAG TSBs are notoriously difficult to find - Google can help. As far as the bung under the battery tray is concerned, I simply unscrewed the coolant reservoir (leave the pipes connected) and unplugged the sensor lead. You can then get your hand under the battery and feel the bung - it's like a grommet with nothing running through it. I just pushed it up into the battery compartment for retrieval when the car needs a new battery (I've since been in there and got it).

As part of your proper maintenance schedule, take the cover above the plenum chamber off each year and pour a litre of water around the battery. Check that without fail, there are 2 streams draining onto the bell housing, one from the drain under the battery and one from the drain under the servo.

I give the whole area a suck-out with the long nozzle on a vacuum cleaner before I do the water test. After the test, clean the drain channels around and in front of the pollen filter housing as crud in this area stops the (inadequate) drains from running. A toothbrush works OK.

rotodiesel.

Get the parts at GSF same quality cheaper prices, the bolt is the pinch bolt and at 44k yours will be seized and will need a mechanic whose done them before to get them out, as for the grommet I'd leave it out given the history of problems it causes, brake pads will be less than £50 all round at GSF but beware you need a wind back tool to do the rears or you will ruin the pistons in the calipers, these are about £15 or £20 at halfords and try not to copper slip the pads in the usual way, it only serves to remove the backing gripper that is on them and then they rattle. hth.

While your at GSF you may as well just buy a Brake Caliper Wind Tool from them as I did when I replaced all my pads, saves a trip to Halfords........:D