Skoda and ageism

I went and had a look at the new Superb yesterday - I thought it was great and will almost certainly buy one soon. But hang on a minute as I have just read so much clap-trap on other threads about older people having Skodas I am not sure I am allowed any more!!

Yes I am over 60 and to make matters worse I have a beard (it is white but not to worry as I think it is only an age thing and not catching for other Skoda drivers!!). I am really worried that me having a Skoda will have a dreadful effect on the younger drivers and that this will give them all a complex which will require psychiatric help for them to recover. Should I cancel my order or should I just put the comment down to ill advised youngsters who might themselves grow old(er) one day - I wonder which car they will choose then?

If Skoda has strong products then the market is big enough for all ages to enjoy them - if not then they will go the same way as Rover which I am sure will not be the case. If/when I order my Superb it will be my fifth Skoda and not once has a saleman said please don't buy one as it offends me and the company. In fact the last salesman was older than me and he was really good at his job.

Yes of course Skoda needs younger drivers and they need to continue to develop their customer base. But if they ignore their existing customers, however old, then I am sure they will do so at their peril.

Not all of us are "old duffers". I still ride motorcycles (fast enough to keep up with the younger guys and girls) and still can drive my Octavia over 860 miles in a day to the south of France.

My message to those who wrote on the last thread is " GET OVER YOURSELVES" as the World is big enough for all of us what ever age we are.

Now time is getting on and I think I can hear(just) Matron calling me for my bed bath followed by a nice cup of hot chocolate and if I am lucky two biscuits. I hope I dream tonight of the car befitting my age - oh for that turbo Reliant Robin!!!!

LOL

I'm a little confused....

Your not happy with the people saying that some people think that Skodas are aimed at old people?

Or are you unhappy that people think that because you are above 50 you shouldn't buy a Skoda as they are now marketing young people.

Guest wilkopilko
Should I cancel my order or should I just put the comment down to ill advised youngsters who might themselves grow old(er) one day - I wonder which car they will choose then?

LOL

Hi Fareham man,

Interesting point & good post, I may have a solution - please continue with the order for a new Superb, it looks like it's going to be a fantastic motor being much more sharper & shaping the way ahead for Skoda, however please shave your beard or at least die it black using 'just for men' (as in the advert) & shave it into the shape preferably like the 'Anchor' one in the picture below, then accompany it with some cool shades, then as you will be one of the first new Superb drivers seen on the UK roads, you will give the car a whole new image....Cool :cool:. (apparently youngens say that too)

beards.png

I have to say that, at 37, I was definitely the youngest person looking at the new Superb in my local dealer today. I guess that's not too much of a surprise, given that the west country is retirement central.

Given the nature of the Superb, I reckon that it will always attract an older driver. It's a sensible, comfortable, but not very exciting car. Quite frankly, that's exactly what I want. I'm going to be cruising up and down the motorway, week in, week out, and I want to be comfortable and unstressed.

That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed my Octy vRS, but I really miss the extra space and comfort that my old Superb offered.

God, I must be getting old. Maybe, I'll go buy an Ariel Atom, and do the mid life crisis in style :D

Bagpuss.

The right one could be very exiting.......I happen to know the old model was very nice with 170 bhp :)

I guess the point I was trying to make is that I don't actually want it to be that exciting. I'm quite happy for it ride well, absorb the bumps, and if it handles okay, that's a bonus (which I'm told it does).

To be exciting in a car as large as the Superb, then you need a BIG engine, lots of power and preferably 4x4. I've no doubt that you could give the Superb all of these things, but I'm pretty sure the ride quality will be straight out of the window.

Sure, you could probably fit the Audi dynamic ride control suspension stuff (assuming they'll share it), but you're then looking at big money. More money than most Skoda customers are likely to part with, I suspect.

If I wanted exciting on a budget, I'd probably get a Focus ST-3. It's difficult to beat the combination of small car with lots of power. The only problem is the huge bill that 'Terry the taxman' would send me for the privilege.

Bagpuss.

Not sure which thread you are refering to old bean :P, but I've had a skoda for the last 10+ years now 39. My father has one of my old Fabias and he's the wrong side of 80 so no ageism here :)

The OP was referring (I guess) the latter part of this thread;

http://briskoda.net/superb-ii/new-superb/117514/

I was the one who mentioned beards...sorry if any offence caused!

Bagpuss I agree with what you say about the car and its qualities. It doesn't bother me, in fact I quite enjoy the inverse snobbery and I've already had 2 Skodas.

But the badge still carries a lot of baggage.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that Skoda should stop selling to bearded oldies, just that it does create a bit of an image problem! Who knows in a few years I may succumb to the Skoda disease and grow one.

The Superb is arriving in a very exciting and competitive market place...Mazda 6, Vauxhall Insignia (although now delayed until at least January), Citroen C5 (simply stunning), Honda Accord plus others.

IMHO the Superb is easily the least attractive car of this bunch to look at (exterior) although interestingly it is currently my favourite in the running for my choice to be made at the end of next month! I'm 6'3" and have 3 rapidly growing children...that rear space really is important to me, plus the Elegance spec is pretty stunning. The park assist is the icing on the cake...I like to think I'm a pretty good parallel parker but this option is the best toy ever.

Dan

If this is the post that the OP has taken offence to,

Made me smile today, whilst standing in the showroom with other selected customers, most drove Superbs, the Skoda "bod" giving a talk about the Columbos Sat Nav with Hard drive. I said to the sales guy next to me" judgeing by the age of the people in the showroom, they would have been better having a record player in there, as opposed to a hard drive!" ( not you John )The reply was " hopefully they will attract a younger person with this model "

I think once they can get "bums on seats" it will sell very well.

It was said in the showroom to the sales guy ( who is a friend of mine ) very tongue in cheek :D

If i was in the position to buy one i would and i'm only 37 as well ( and used to have a beard :eek: )

It's great we've got a good age spread, here's why:

Without the older, wealthier demographic driving them so nicely I'd never have been able to have owned 3 mint 2nd hand cars over the last 5 years, all with minimal mileage at 2 years old and all were nicely affordable

I say keep buying them if you like them. I for one am after a comfy long distance cruiser now I'm doing more motorway miles for business.

Of those of my age that have one, (20-30) they all buy them second hand and the 40+ seem to buy them new to treat themselves every few years, so seems to work out quite nicely for all concerned

Opps 45 so still in the middle.

The new Superb top scec is a 2.0 TDI CR 4x4 170bhp DPF 6spd. etc here is a copy of the handout that was at the pre launch.

BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums my first post.

So that should tick a few buttons for most people.

am on my second Superb and it is. Had a 130 Rapid years ago oh dear showing my age again, still was a great car and didn't have to worry about being pulled over as what copper was going admit to catching a speeding Skoda.

Bit different nowadays, locally the Superb (tweaked) is used by the Serious Crime Squad and Rapid Response Units so they don't get too many jokers here.

I'm sure we've all had abuse for driving a Skoda at some point in our lives.

For the record I'm 25 this year, more grey hair than black... with a beard and a Superb.

Although my mum's 68 and drives a, er, Fabia VRS. Apprently her Vectra GSI was a little "too thirsty" :thumbup:

I was once sold an Octavia vRS TFSi to a 72 year old Reverend. Whenever I drive past his chapel it looks really cool parked outside. He bought it because his son bought a Clio 182 and he wanted to have a more powerful car than his son. :)

Edited by JamesRothwell

I was once sold an Octavia vRS TFSi to a 72 year old Reverend. Whenever I drive past his chapel it looks really cool parked outside. He bought it because his son bought a Clio 182 and he wanted to have a more powerful car than his son. :)

One carefull owner, owned by a vicar.

can hear the second hand sales patter now :rofl:

I went and had a look at the new Superb yesterday - I thought it was great and will almost certainly buy one soon. But hang on a minute as I have just read so much clap-trap on other threads about older people having Skodas I am not sure I am allowed any more!!

Yes I am over 60 and to make matters worse I have a beard (it is white but not to worry as I think it is only an age thing and not catching for other Skoda drivers!!). I am really worried that me having a Skoda will have a dreadful effect on the younger drivers and that this will give them all a complex which will require psychiatric help for them to recover. Should I cancel my order or should I just put the comment down to ill advised youngsters who might themselves grow old(er) one day - I wonder which car they will choose then?

If Skoda has strong products then the market is big enough for all ages to enjoy them - if not then they will go the same way as Rover which I am sure will not be the case. If/when I order my Superb it will be my fifth Skoda and not once has a saleman said please don't buy one as it offends me and the company. In fact the last salesman was older than me and he was really good at his job.

Yes of course Skoda needs younger drivers and they need to continue to develop their customer base. But if they ignore their existing customers, however old, then I am sure they will do so at their peril.

Not all of us are "old duffers". I still ride motorcycles (fast enough to keep up with the younger guys and girls) and still can drive my Octavia over 860 miles in a day to the south of France.

My message to those who wrote on the last thread is " GET OVER YOURSELVES" as the World is big enough for all of us what ever age we are.

Now time is getting on and I think I can hear(just) Matron calling me for my bed bath followed by a nice cup of hot chocolate and if I am lucky two biscuits. I hope I dream tonight of the car befitting my age - oh for that turbo Reliant Robin!!!!

LOL

Ok work this one out... I am 27 and drive a Superb Elegance and my father is 74 and drives a Roomster 3.

I don't care what people think of Skodas, if I cared, I wouldnt have bought one, or the previous 2!