VRS 17" tyre options?

Recently aquired a set of 17" vrs wheels to replace the 16" on my mk1 vrs estate.

It has a standard suspension set up and is used as a second vehicle which I intend to "develop". What are the recommended tyre sizes for general fast driving road use, and what make is considered to be the best to suit the car? I see Falkens have had good reports on here in the past.

I have done that. Seems to be plenty of info relating to VRS fabias but couldnt find too much about octavia VRS thats why I asked!

Plenty of threads on Octavia vRS's! I started one myself last week.

Recently aquired a set of 17" vrs wheels to replace the 16" on my mk1 vrs estate.

It has a standard suspension set up and is used as a second vehicle which I intend to "develop". What are the recommended tyre sizes for general fast driving road use, and what make is considered to be the best to suit the car? I see Falkens have had good reports on here in the past.

225/45ZR17 tyres should fit without any problems. Don't waste your time/money looking at 205/50ZR17's - standard size.

Goodyear Eagles, TOYO, Falken all have had good reports.

I use Pirelli P-Zero assemetrical Rosso's and find them bl00dy great!

Just ordered a set of 4 225/45 Eagle F1 GSD3's to replace the 205/50 Pirelli P7's as the front's are more naked than a page 3 model. The rears still have a lot of tread but as a pair of 205's are nearly as expensive as a set of 4 225's I thought that to replace all 4 mades sense.

I've used the GSD3's before and whilst they have a tendancy to overheat if driven hard, I found that they were a very good all round tyre, especially on the more pockmarked roads on the NW coast of Scotland. I was very tempted to go with the RE070's as I have experienced them on several high powered Impreza's but with the mileage I do in the summer I just can't justify them lasting less than 10k for a full set. Once the Eagles are done in towards autumn I will probably go for the 070's.

Incidentally, I just got the Eagles delivered from camskill.co.uk after ordering them at 5pm last night. Free delivery and less than £80 a tyre for the 94W XL which is quite impressive. £5 a tyre fitted and balanced isn't bad either with the local Arnold Clark (about the only thing I would trust them with!)

Edited by fatty5000
Non-freedom advertising

One piece of advise I can give is ........don't go for cheap tyres, I've been there and done that. In my opinion it's the best way to spoil a good car.

I currently have toyos all round and they haven't crapped out on me yet. The only issue is that they don't last. But you can't have it both ways with tyres. It's either grip or longevity ........not both :(

I may look into the kuhmo ecstas next. Not sure yet though

HTH

Just taken a trip up to my local tyre dealer and, after a little haggling :D, the Octy is booked in next week for 4 Kuhmo Ecsta KU31 225/45/17 to be fitted @ £76 each all inclusive.

Not a bad result!

225/45/17 Michelin Pilot sports on my mk1 vRS Estate.

Had Eagle F1 before and wasn't impressed.

What is it that you didn't like with the Eagle's? Everything is subjective and although one tyre may not suit one person that does not mean that it will not suit another. I personally have found them to be a very solid tyre for road work but am interested to see what your thoughts are as I know that a lot are less impressed with them for track. If that's where your feelings come from then it may not be a problem if the original poster has no intention of doing track time. Even the hardest of B road blasts will push tyres in a very different way to that of a track.

I am haveing my new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics fitted on Saturday so will see how they perform. I currently have Semperit on and to be honest i cant really fault them, just wanted to try these eagles as everyone has been raving on about em, lol. Just hope they are as good as people say they are :)

Regards

Garry

What is it that you didn't like with the Eagle's? Everything is subjective and although one tyre may not suit one person that does not mean that it will not suit another. I personally have found them to be a very solid tyre for road work but am interested to see what your thoughts are as I know that a lot are less impressed with them for track. If that's where your feelings come from then it may not be a problem if the original poster has no intention of doing track time. Even the hardest of B road blasts will push tyres in a very different way to that of a track.

(I had Eagle F1 GSD3)

TBH i think they were poorly fitted (always lost pressure), they were noisey and i just had a general dislike of them. I didn't have issues with grip, and they did wear out as stated by everyone.

When i swapped to the Michelin the difference felt "night and day" in terms of everyday driving, noise etc. The difference at the limit is probably so close that i can't tell, and wear rates so far, so good.

Just to add i paid £350 fitted for 4 Michelin Pilot Sports, my local Toyo dealer wanted £122 each for T1-R:eek:

Some tyres certainly are noisier and the V-groove style does seem to suffer from this but on the upside, they seem to be better at clearing water although interestingly, most tyre manufacturers are now moving away from this design.

Most high performance tryes will wear but I found that the XL version of the F1 to be a bit tougher than the standard setup. Whether this is down to a stiffer carcass keeping the whole thing in shape better and reducing squirming or whether there is a slightly harder compound being used it's hard to say.