Felicia 1.4-16v engine transplant

TeflonTom

just spent all bloody afternoon/evening looking for this topic in old pages. eventually gave up and find it right at the top.. :wall:

just got a "new" felly (X reg 9500 miles), so looking for something daft to do with the "old" one. :)

• 7 months later...

Ok so i thought id have a blast at this conversion and started it the other week, i think the main issue has been lack of space as im doing it in a single garage!

So far it hasnt actually been too bad considering i havent attempted anything like this before, managed to get the engine out just about as car isnt really high enough. Made a make shift engine lift by making a frame out of some old steel and attached a winch in the middle, made it much easier to lower engine out of the car as i could put it straight on the floor and drag it out.

20130226_164708_zpsd1590256.jpg

Started by reversing the car in the garage and as you can see not much room, can just about get down the side of the car.

20130401_195436_zps25fb84d6.jpg

engine out, labelled it all up so i didnt forget where its meant to go, though may have gone abit OTT lol

20130401_195424_zps27eee731.jpg

The 3 engines in a row, now just to make one engine out of the 3.

Will post progress

Edited by nu99et18
  • Like 1

Well to be fair i know myself where they all go but i just labelled them up so i know its 100% correct when i wire it all back up,

do you know the torque settings for the engine bits ? i.e. headbolts, crank bolt etc

Im going to put the afh head on the avy block, dont think i would like to brave it the other way tbh, plus the sump on the afh i have is cracked pretty bad. Got all the bits i need including one of those custom studs for the idler (just hope its strong enough lol) so going to have a go at putting them together on sunday.

Ok, if you are using the ally sump you will have to use the 4-1 down pipe from the avy engine too because the 4-2-1 type from the afh engine won't fit through the gap between the and gearbox properly. Far better to use the afh/aee sump if you can.

63568_10151205334877537_1885177437_n.jpgi have started to fix this aee lump as mine now has only 6 bolts holding exhaust/manifold on as needed to take anti roll bar off and snaped some even tho i fitted them lol i need a sump for this and inlet manifold or can i fit some think else to this why its on the bench head ect Edited by uma1998

• 2 weeks later...

Ok progress has been a lil slow but engine all together now pretty much however been abit of a numpty, forgot to make any position marks on the flywheels before taking them off :/ is there a way i can get it in the correct postion? Any alignment marks or anything?

yeah that only applies to the 1300cc engines which have a 4 bolt fitment, on the vw engined stuff they have 6 bolts but 2 of them are offset so the flywheel will only fit in one position

20130508_221553_zps50747cf6.jpg

Getting there slowly, engine all together and bolted into the bay and have started to wire it up and attatch all the pipes etc

-Note the home made engine lift, made a frame and bolted a winch to it lol, it did the job

• Like 1

Got this all wired up now, oil in, water in. Went to connect the battery but when doing so the terminal was sparking and then the ground on the starter motor was glowing red hot! What could be the problem? Ive put all the grounds back where they should be, im not good with electrics so unsure what the problem is

The starter doesn't have a ground wire, it earths through the gearbox, the big wire on the starter goes to the positive battery terminal.

there is another wire that is on the starter also goes to the alternator, like they are daisy chained.....

Ok the earth wires, there is one that goes from the negative battery terminal to the gearbox/ engine on the passenger side.. The there is another one that goes from the back of the engine block drivers side to a nut on the chassis drivers side.

Yeah ive got those two grounds in the correct place, there was another ground that went from the gearbox mount to a nut on the bell housing adaptor.

I just assumed that the black wire on the starter was a ground, il have a double check of everything tommorow.