Two problems with Octy 1!

Have got two problems with my Octavia 1.9tdi!

First is sometimes it doesnt like to go into 3rd or 4 th gear then if left it will be ok!

Happened for the first time a few months ago for about a half hour journey then it never done it since today!

The other thing is I get a "Rummble" on hard excelleration!

It doesnt always do it and it sounds and feels like its coming through the floor of the car.

The car has done 155000 but im hoping its not the the crankshaft bearings!!! being a diesel they should lad´st longer than that or have these been known to go?

Thats my two problems, i know its hard to diagnose these over the internet but any help would be great.

Dan

My center exhaust bracket has already broken so ive tightend it down with a few jubilee clips so it SHOULD be ok!

The gear selector could be dirt as it seams fine now but the cables and mechanisum are clean, as clean as youd expect them tobe!

Are we talking on top of the gear box or actually in the car underneath the centre trim?

Mine developed a wobble under hard acceleration that turned out to be an off-balance front wheel. The garage's explanation was during acceleration, the weight lifts off the front so the wobble became more noticeable.

I have seen this in my old 1.9 TDi

I would change the gearbox oil firstly to see if this clears the gear selection issue - could be worn sychros? not sure good luck with that one. Start with the cheap option

The rumble I had on my Skoda Octavia RS probably a speed hump (in Portsmouth they are everywhere). It was a snapped center exhaust bracket and the heat shield was vibrating loudly on the bottom of the body - I cut the shield and bracket off.

If under hard acceleration it rumbles - I have seen this on a Vauxhall Zefiera (what rubbish) it was a duff drive shaft. Also check the engine mounts. I had a Mondeo a few years ago and I was acting loud and strange. I stopped and then went to pull away from a lolli-pop lady and the engine fell on the road under the car (engine mount failure)

On a Octavia TDi I also have a very loud rumble - which was caused by the dual-flywheel . They are flawed on these engines and rubbish. My brother in law welded the flywheel to keep it going longer, but loud is an under statement.

Might sound odd but jack the rear up and check the wear pattern on your rear tyres, I had the same and the rear tyres had work in a 50p shape!! changed the tyres and it is gone!

Was running Chinese Goodyear f1's....no where near as good as the German ones for wear or grip.

My rear tyres are sort of doing the 50p shape trick, but only on the side edge of the tred pattern... any ideas? Previous tyres did it as well, so there must be something up with the car that is causing this rather odd wear.

Going to do the gear box oil as you said.

My Centre exhaust bracket is broke but i dont think its that!

The drive shaft one is a possibility so is the fly wheel, not sure what im going to do about it yet though!!!

Should ve bought another BMW me thinks, Allways said VW and Audi are nt all they ve cracked up to be!, That ll teach me lol

Seriously though it is a nice car and im quite impressed more so some how than the RS that i had 6 or so years back.

Ill have to start taking things apart and having a look see!

How many and where are the engine mounts?

And does it have gearbox mounts or does it just work of of the eninge ones?

I would do oil first - I have seen Superb gear boxes fail nastily and they sound like a bag of nails when they accelerate - cheapest thing to do.

Get a helper and open the bonnet. First of all, can you hear noise when engine is idlling? Now Rev the engine hard on and off several times? can you hear the noise when can is stationary? and check to see if the engine is moving out of its resting position more than usual?

You might get the answer from this simple check. Noise when stationary = flywheel. Noise when moving = drive shaft possibly or gearbox knackered on on way out.

Definately get the center exhaust mount cut off those. There are 2 together from memory and one or the other is fairly redundant anyway.

Good luck - let us all know what you do and see

Doesnt do it when the car is sat.

only under load and it feels like something is touching the bottom of the car!

Im getting the centre bracket repaired as we speak so im waiting for that to see what happens but im not holding my breath!

It could be a driveshaft but i dont think it is could be an engine mount but i dont know what these cars are like for them failing.

Ive changed the torque link that connects the gearbox to the chassis thinking it might be that but not!

Thanks for the advice and if you get any other idea please let me know lol