Fabia VRS - Gearbox whining and Skoda saying "normal"!!

robbieh

I know this subject has been mentioned many'a'time on here, but I was hoping a few Briskodians may be able to give me some helpful info.

I have my 55 plate VRS with 35k on the clock in at a dealer at the moment for warranty work. One of the issues is a noisy gearbox. Definite whine, more prominent at 40>60 (before tyre and wind noise get louder) in 4th/5th and 6th. To me it sounds like diff as the noise is there even if I coast at that speed. Noise is louder when under load, and the pitch changes when you go on and off the throttle. (plus it baulks a little into second when cold...fine when warm).

The noise has been getting worse and worse over the last few k. It used to be quiet...now it's not! I've compared it to a mate's 55 VRS with 22k and his gearbox is silent, so I'm not hearing things.

The technician at the dealer heard it on road test, and they submitted some kinda form to their techie department who've come back and said that the noise is normal. Now, I've been in the motor trade (starting on the spanners) for 20 years, and quite simply that is bulls**t! :mad: How can they say the noise is normal when they've not seen/heard the car??? The whine is highly likely to be a bearing that is failing prematurely, and will continue to get worse!

Now the dealer tells me there's nothing they can do as "the tech department have spoken!", so I contacted customer services and am waiting to hear what happens next.

Has anyone here had a similar problem and had their gearbox repaired/replaced with the result being a nice quite gearbox? It'd be great to have some facts to hand if Skoda technical try fobbing me off.

I won't back down until I have a whine-free drivetrain!!!!!!! After all...that's why cars have a warranty.

I think by "normal", they may have meant to say "common fault"!!

It seems there are Seat Ibiza TDi Sports and some Golfs with similar issues. VW just replace the box it seems!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Like a repeat of my experience. Car was 2.5 years old at this point (6months with me) and the whining was destroying my enjoyment of the car. After numerous test drives by various dealership guys, who, to a man, said they couldn't hear anything untoward I eventually harassed their quality engineer so much that he agreed to arrange a test drive by the area Skoda engineer. He, like the rest, couldn't hear the whining from the gearbox but did agree to test drive a few more vRS's and he'd get back to me. A few weeks later I received a call to say that Skoda had agreed to fitting a brand new gearbox FOC. So, persistence was the only answer. Just don't be fobbed off. Incidentally, apart from the slightest whine when in 2nd the replacement gearbox is totally whine free. I love it now.

Good luck. Stick-in.

Just to 'exclude this from enquiries' so to speak, does it still happen with the air con off? Might sound far-fetched, but my air con makes quite a racket when under heavy load. Turn it off and no more whine... :thumbup:

Sounds like a real PITN - another suggestion/question - not a wheel bearing?

If it's under warranty, keep pushing till sorted unfortunately.

Despite it being "long-life" tranny oil, changing it may help somewhat...

Good luck

Bas

I had my box stripped and fixed about 3k ago, they replaced the input shaft and bearing and now has a whining sound around 30 - 50mph! I didn't notice it before so maybe I should get it checked out! I thought it was just me being paranoid!

So it should be silent then??

Thanks for the replies so far guys. The A/C is normally off, and the noise is deffo from the gearbox.

Latest news is Skoda are sending their techie guy down to inspect it. Going to make sure I'm around as he'll have a hard job of fobbing me off face to face! Hopefully he will hear the noise and accept it needs a new box (as it does!!)

Hopefully I won't have the same level of hassle as you Ming, so I'm crossing everything!!

I'll keep you all informed.

p.s. Sherlodge Garage are being excellent at the moment! Very helpful. :thumbup:

Edited by robbieh

• 1 month later...

Well...been a while to sort out, but nearly there!

Water pump and cambelt & tensioner/idler replaced to cure one engine noise.

AC pump replaced to cure the other engine noise.

Gearbox replaced to cure the whining (mine and the car's!) although it makes an unpleasently loud whine on overun (very noticeable in 4th). I'll see how it fairs after a few miles.

Only problem now is the clonk which was cured by a gearbox mounting mod a year ago is now back.

Hey-ho...back to the dealer again. :-(

• 6 years later...