Independent Heating AND Mechanical Drive Locking System

Both the above are currently shown in the Accessories Brochure that can be downloaded from www.skoda-auto.com

[by inference they are 'dealer fitted options' as opposed to 'factory fitted' - the False Boot Floor is also shown in the brochure and is of course now offered as a 'factory fitted' option for the UK. Just to confuse.]

Skoda's Info-line [[email protected]] have told me that:

1. Independent Heating: Is currently available in the Czech Republic as a 'factory fit option'

2. Mechanical Drive Locking System: This is also currently available in the Czech Republic - although it is not clear if this is a factory fit or dealer fitted accessory.

If anyone is interested in having these options in the UK (maybe you intend to order soon or have a car in the pipeline) then it seems that you need to make sure the 'right person' is aware of the interest at SUK. That person appears to be the 'Technical Liaison Manager' for the New Superb - who appears to be Steven Whitcombe. He is based at:

Skoda Auto Ltd, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN

Accessories Brochure attached (never tried attaching pdf's before so here goes). See pages 11 for Independent Heating and 23 for Drive Locking System (photo 4). Not much info given about either.

Independent Heating:Pre-heats car on frosty days before firing up the engine. Diesels getting too expensive to leave the car running for 15 minutes to defrost the windows - or maybe you want to save the planet and avoid pollution. I've already broken the winder mechanism on my existing Superb due to the windows being iced up around the seals - although there was no sign of 'frost' on the glass. I want to avoid paying to get the same problem fixed on the new car - would rather spend the money on the accessory and get some use out of it. This 'should' also help avoid any problems with the locks being frozen up or any of the door 'handle' mechanisms freezing up due to lack of grease. I've had that problem on my Superb in the past as well.

I've found a 'larger' illustration of the photo in the new Superb brochure on some sort of incomplete Octavia brochure on the net, which is attached.

Mechanical Drive Locking System:This is a 'lock' on the gearbox as an extra security feature. (Don't know if the engine will fire up when the lock is on - if it does it would prevent drive-offs IF you walk away from the car with the engine running while it defrosts!! So it's an extra security feature to stop you're nice new Superb being nicked.

This is available (according to the accessories brochures!!) on the existing Superb, Fabia, Octavia, Roomster etc.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone had experience in using these?

If anyone is interested in these please write to Skoda saying so or phone Customer Services and tell them you want them - let the rest of us know when you've done so. Thanks.

NewSuperb_Accessories_ENG.pdf

Octavia - resource_865.pdf

Anyone looking for more info on 'Independent Auxilliary Heating' - the term used by Skoda - or 'Parking Heater' by some others, could take a look at parkingheater.com - this is Webasto's site.

When you see and read the advantages this was the reason I posted comments under the 'Option' thread further down.

I cannot find out yet whether this item is available to UK spec cars, at what cost, and if it will be available, then when will it be available.

When I spoke to Skoda UK Customer Support, despite spending 5 or 6 minutes trying to make the person understand what I was enquiring about, and even referring to the PDF referred to above, they phoned me back and gave me a brief spiel about Climatronic. I just said thanks and goodbye....nuff said.

Edited by NJB31

• 2 weeks later...

Anynone able to update re Indepent Auxillary Heater .......??

James - or any dealer, can any of you establish from if this is going to be available in the very near future for UK spec cars. I expect to be ordering a 1.8 DSG Elegance with most options inc Solar Sunroof in the next week or so, but would be prepared to wait a couple more months if the Indepent Auxillary Heater option is going to be orderable before year end.

why dont you just start the engine and let the heater warm the car up then use the spare key to lock the car (dont use the remote locking plip as it wont work but if you put the key blade int eh door lock and turn it will lock the doors with the engine on.) we use the same method with the aircon in the summer when one of the kids falls asleep.

I highly doubt Skoda will offer the webasto style aux heaters in the UK as we don't need them here as it simply does not get cold enough to cause problems to the anti-freeze, gearbox oil or any kind of lubricant.

The other type of aux heater, which are used purely to demist rear windows and wing mirrors are kind of usefull. BMW used to offer this on the 5 and 7 series. It was kind of cool but all it would only clear the rear window which it would do very quickly anyway once you had the engine started.

I high doubt we'd ever have either of these options offered on the UK market.

Just go ahead and order your 1.8DSG instead of worrying about any aux heaters make sure you order a nice spec. Don't forget the auto-dimming rear view mirror!