help on tyre choice

well the time has come to replace the tyres on my octy vrs tdi now i know this has probably been covered a dozen or so times but i want something that is going to last a bit better than the naff contys that come as standard nearly on waer limiters at 10000 miles and thats with the wife driving most of the time. I probably have only done about 2000 of them but suffer from a big right foot. Now i am looking for a reasonable tyre with good wear life but not the silly price i.e abpout £100 quid a corner tops car goes end of june 09 to be replaced with a superb if the wife has owt to do with it.

p.s she is on 18" rims the car not the wife that is:confused:

Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta for me too, in preference to Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s (used both on my vRS TDI. ££ per mile though the cost the same.

PS> If you do a search on this subject there are several recent threads with useful comments. try these;-

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/octy-vrs-new-tyres/89324/

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/tyres-225-45-r17-91w/113557/

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/what-tyres-octy-vrs/107894/

• 2 months later...

Just read through this, along with others. Many are rec`ing Goodyear Assymetrics. I followed this advice and had 2 on front of vRS TDi middle of July. Have done 3000 miles and they are nearly gone! This is NOT driving like a loon either. Grip is great in dry and wet. Damp conditions-take a little extra care. Just bear in mind how much they cost and how long you get from them!

NOTE, with the Vredestein's go easy for the 1st 100 miles to wear them in. Then they really become sticky micky!!!!

You should do this with any new tyre; they need scrubbing in over 100 - 250 miles to bring on 'full grip'.

Just read through this, along with others. Many are rec`ing Goodyear Assymetrics. I followed this advice and had 2 on front of vRS TDi middle of July. Have done 3000 miles and they are nearly gone! This is NOT driving like a loon either. Grip is great in dry and wet. Damp conditions-take a little extra care. Just bear in mind how much they cost and how long you get from them!

I'd accept a complaint of tyres wearing too quickly if they needed to be replaced after 7,000 - 10,000 miles; but 3,000 miles is taking the biscuit.

I'd be looking for other reasons; if not driving style then wheel alignment/geometry.

Thanks for the replys think i am going to try the vredestines, does anybody know if you can ask for different tyres when buying a new car cos my vrs tdi is due to be swaped in june 09 and i will not buy another if it comes with the same crap conti sports as this one did 14000 miles and its worn the full set cos i did a front to back swop at 10000

Thanks for the replys think i am going to try the vredestines, does anybody know if you can ask for different tyres when buying a new car cos my vrs tdi is due to be swaped in june 09 and i will not buy another if it comes with the same crap conti sports as this one did 14000 miles and its worn the full set cos i did a front to back swop at 10000

New car from the Factory - you get what you are given. Don't worry; Continentals are only one of several that are fitted at present; you might be lucky and get Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s.

...... naff contys that come as standard .....

I replaced the Bridgesrtones that were standard on my 1.9TDI Elegance with Conty Sport 2s well over 10,000 miles ago and am very happy with them. There is plenty of tread left.

There were many good reports on them in earlier threads which is one of the reasons I went for them.

There are many different compounds with Contis. Factory fit ones are very different to the ones you get off the shelf.

They were factory fit on one of my Astras, the factory fit ones lasted no time at all and gave very bad grip. The replacements lasted much longer and were far better gripping.

does anybody know if you can ask for different tyres when buying a new car

One of the build codes for my octy was:

V0A Tires w/o specification of tire brand

That implies that you could specify what brand of tire you wanted when ordering a factory build (not sure if your dealer would know how to do it though).

I told my salesperson I didn't want Dunlops. Of course when it arrived it had dunlops fitted, so they swapped my wheels with another vRS they had in stock which had Michelins PEX2s, so I was happy.

For what it's worth...I've just fitted a pair of Ultrac Sessanta's to the front of my TFSI Vrs too (original Conti's did 14k) & so far so good, but it's early days. I did a lot of research & took loads of advice (most of it from the very helpful folks on here!) before I took the plunge. Cost me £232 fitted all in, but I dare say you'll get them cheaper if you hunt around.

Interesting comment from some on the scrubbing in...can you expand on that? I must confess I had mine fitted 30 miles down the dual carriageway, then just ran up the road as normal. I'm looking forward to them getting more sticky tho' !

Interesting comment from some on the scrubbing in...can you expand on that?

When they are making new tyres they put a special slippery "releasing compound" on the moulds to help them come out of the mould that forms the tread. This stuff is very slippery, especially on wet roads :thumbdwn:. It needs to be worn off before you will get normal grip from the tread. So it isn't really "scrubbing in", but more a wearing off of this slippery goop. Once it has worn off (usually 100-200 miles of sedate diving) the tyres will have normal grip levels. :thumbup:

So if you fit new tyres and really attack the first corner at speed you are likely to discover your new, expensive super you-beaut grippy tyres have a lot less grip than you were expecting (and similarly full-on braking will be underwhelming too). :eek:

In Australia, the Elegance spec comes with Bridgestone, Dunlop & Continental tyres - They are quite different in performance (respectively touring, sports/touring & sports). I told the dealer I wouldn't accept the car if it had the Bridgestones on it.

Our vRS come with Michelin, Continental or Dunlop, so you could specify your preference.

I've also done deals with the tyre shop to drive straight from the dealership to the tyre fitters & traded my "new" tyres at wholesale & upgraded to something better.

slightly of topic, i have just put a full set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225/45/17 on my tfsi vrs Combi and am finding it hard to find the right tyre pressures...

had 32psi in front and back .... back was scarily skittish

30psi front and back ...... back is planted but front seems funny .. heavy

Had Federal 595 W 's on it before and had 30 psi all round

any suggestions on the right mix and match front to back

Cathal

slightly of topic, i have just put a full set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225/45/17 on my tfsi vrs Combi and am finding it hard to find the right tyre pressures...

had 32psi in front and back .... back was scarily skittish

30psi front and back ...... back is planted but front seems funny .. heavy

Had Federal 595 W 's on it before and had 30 psi all round

any suggestions on the right mix and match front to back

Cathal

I have Ultrac Sessantas in 225/45 17 on my vRS and run them at 2.35 bar all round although yesterday dropped them to 2.3 bar for colder weather; that's around 35psi.

This general level in pressures is used by quite a few vRS drivers regardless of tyre type, 17 or 18s, TFSI or TDI and seems to work. Certainly does for me.

I have Ultrac Sessantas in 225/45 17 on my vRS and run them at 2.35 bar all round although yesterday dropped them to 2.3 bar for colder weather; that's around 35psi.

This general level in pressures is used by quite a few vRS drivers regardless of tyre type, 17 or 18s, TFSI or TDI and seems to work. Certainly does for me.

2.3 bar (33psi) is higher than i have ever had them.. maybe my driving style needs a set of coilovers rather than letting air out of the tyres

will try 33 in the front but the back will remain as 30 otherwise it will pass me out of these days

will try 33 in the front but the back will remain as 30 otherwise it will pass me out of these days

NO; don't do this.

If you have the back tyre pressures too soft it will create 'roll oversteer' and the back WILL then pass you. :eek: I set tyre pressures this way deliberately on my 1st car back in the early 1970s (a 1971 Morris Marina that suffered terminal understeer); changed the pressure from 26psi Front & 28psi Rear to 30psi front and 26psi rear. The effect was to soften the rear, make it 'roll' and create oversteer.

Honestly; put your pressures to 35psi all round and try it! You may be pleasantly surprised. :D;)

PS> forget Coilovers; you don't need them.

Standard tyre pressures on the estate (I presume that is what you guys call the combi) are 2.2 bar front and 2.0 bar rear. Have not tried using the higher pressures stated on here but might do if people have found them better.

NO; don't do this.

If you have the back tyre pressures too soft it will create 'roll oversteer' and the back WILL then pass you. :eek: I set tyre pressures this way deliberately on my 1st car back in the early 1970s (a 1971 Morris Marina that suffered terminal understeer); changed the pressure from 26psi Front & 28psi Rear to 30psi front and 26psi rear. The effect was to soften the rear, make it 'roll' and create oversteer.

Honestly; put your pressures to 35psi all round and try it! You may be pleasantly surprised. :D;)

PS> forget Coilovers; you don't need them.

i spend a lot of time on Irish backroads which make English B roads like race tracks.. i'll give it a try and let you know

BTW recommended psi on sticker on fuel flap is 32psi

I'd accept a complaint of tyres wearing too quickly if they needed to be replaced after 7,000 - 10,000 miles; but 3,000 miles is taking the biscuit.

I'd be looking for other reasons; if not driving style then wheel alignment/geometry.

Had the tracking done at the front which was way out, but strangely enough didn`t really show in uneven tyre wear, but have not had anything else checked. It was snowploughing as they called it with both wheels turning inwards a bit. Never felt a thing with the steering tho:confused:

Finding it hard to get prices for my list of preferred replacements!

so far: Ultrac Sessanta £105 fitted

Uniroyal Rainsport £90 - £105 fitted

Falken FK452 £65 fitted

Are the Ultrac`s really worth the extra over the FK452`s ???

Had the tracking done at the front which was way out, but strangely enough didn`t really show in uneven tyre wear, but have not had anything else checked. It was snowploughing as they called it with both wheels turning inwards a bit. Never felt a thing with the steering tho:confused:

If the 'snowploughing' was equal both sides the the car would have drive straight ahead BUT will result in excess tyre wear.

Finding it hard to get prices for my list of preferred replacements!

so far: Ultrac Sessanta £105 fitted

Uniroyal Rainsport £90 - £105 fitted

Falken FK452 £65 fitted

Are the Ultrac`s really worth the extra over the FK452`s ???

In a word; Yes. If you factor in how long they will last the apparent gap in price closes; Falkens will not last as long as Ultracs.