Start then stop frustration!

Twitcher

Hello

I'm getting really hacked off with my Skoda.......and thought that you knowledgeable types might offer some hope/suggestions?

I recently had bother starting. The engine would turm but not catch. 11 faults showed and, after a new temp sensor failed to do the trick I had the fuel pump relay replaced. Fine, engine starts but, I still get episodes where it will catch fine but die alost immediately after. This is intermittent. Once started she runs sweet and fuelk consumption is OK. The car is all original.

I'm no mechanic but, not totally thick so please pitch your answers with that in mind!!

Many thanks (with fingers crossed).

Sorry! It's a 1.8T Elegence 4x4.

I read somewhere about imobiliser but, wouldn't that show up as a fault (along with the 11 that showed before the new fuel pump relay?). If it is, is there any way of checking? No odd lights showup that I've noticed.

Fuel starvation sounds plausible too but, why only on start up?

Any ideas about either of these? Nice swift responses BTW-very impressive!!

I replaced the spark plugs recently after a coil went...I put in NGK laser platinum PFR6Q. Should the gap be double checked on these....and are they OK?

Thanks again-give me hope to get replies

a slight air leak in a fuel pipe could allow the fuel to return to the tank when the car was left for any reasonable length of time. It would initially start using some fuel, maybe in the filter (I assume petrols have a filter?), but once that was gone, and maybe not been quite replenished it might die.

Do episodes of not starting properly corespond to when the car has sat unused for a length of time (an hour or so) rather than a few minutes?

Hi Mbames,

Not really. There is no real pattern that I have noticed to these episodes. Today I drove to the garage for petrol and it failed on the first attempt. After that it was OK. My firsat thought was dodgy fuel pump since I had the associated relay replaced minutes before!!

Cheers

Twitcher

Cheers Team

I'll give the fuel lines a good dose of looking at and fondle me imobiliser bits and keep an eye on the dash (I try to avoid looking at the dash as I'm remided of current fuel prices when I see the MPG reading...)

Thanks a million

Twitcher