How to Improve your Flash Photography

Lady Elanore

• 1 year later...

I bought a Canon 270EX external flash last year for my 350D. I think the first lesson i learned was not to expect the flash to do the work for me. If you think by the addition of a stronger flash, all your photos will be perfect, you will have wasted your money.

Most of my photos are indoor/ evening type shots where flash is not the only light source. In these circumstances i have learned that to get the most natural shot you should try get as much exposure captured without the flash as possible, and let the flash fill in the gaps. I.e. pretend you have no flash, set your camera up for ambient light (large aperture, ISO 400+) and then use the flash to achieve a manageable shutter speed. This way the photos will be more evenly exposed. I have found this true for straight flash (at a distance), diffused flash (close up) and bounce flash (with diffuser or white card if i can be bothered).

External flash can produce as many bad photos as good photos if you don't think about how you want to use it.

I measure my success with the external flash by whether or not i or anyone else can tell that flash has been used. if i have to go to the exif to see that flash has been used then i have done alright.

JD

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have found these two sites very useful and inspiring. Zack Arais was a photographer that got caught it the trap that many of us fall into, thinking that if only I had that extra piece of equipment. He went broke and eventualy started up again with the philosophy of learning to use what he had, hence the "One Light workshops". Syl Arena is the expert on Canon speedlites and how to use them. He also does mad shots with multiple speedlites just to see what can be done. Syl's book on speedlites is a mine of information.

http://zackarias.com/workshop/onelight-dvd/

http://pixsylated.com/blog/

• 5 months later...

Hanel do a good wireless release which, IIRC comes with connectors for Nikon, Canon and Sony (?) bodies?

DG28.com is another good resource, as is the Strobist group on flickr.com althuogh they are not always that tolerant.

• 8 months later...

I bought a couple of flash heads, brollies, lighting stands and a trigger from Lencarta. I also bought a big white reflector and a stand for it.

Whole lot comes in around £400 and it's one of the best photography investements I've made.

Edited by budfox
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...