RS or L&K?

Octavia RS, L&K or New Superb?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Octavia RS, L&K or New Superb?

• Octavia Tdi L&K?
    • Octavia Tdi RS?
    • New Superb Tdi?

Hi,

Thinking of getting Octavia No:6 in the new year. Have an Elegance Tdi with some extras at the moment. Since vehicle registration tax has been linked to CO2 emmissions in Ireland, the price of diesels has dropped and both the RS and L&K have dropped into my price range. In Ireland the L&K has the 2 lt. PD engine while the RS has a 2 lt. common rail engine.

What are the pros and cons of each model?

Which would hold the best value?

Should I forget both and consider the new Superb?

All help appreciated.

Anthony.

Close thing between L&K and VRS for me. Plumped for the L&K simply due to the need for more comfort and the toys per £ factor on the L&K is much better..... Also the VRS seats look too much like high maintainance for me. A full leather option from the factory may have swung it though.

You get used to less performance eventually, and I can vouch for the comfort in the L&K since I am just back from the easiest trek to deepest Poland in my L&K with a few long distance days dispatched without fuss.

Yup, I plumped for the L&K for the same reasons: more toys per pound in the UK. Some things I couldn't even see as options for the vRS, only the L&K, like multi-function steering wheel and electric controlled drivers seat (unless the luxury pack available on some other models can be applied?)

The new 1.8tsi I have appears to be an awesome engine, and as soon as the 3 year warranty is over, it's very easy to chip it to produce 200bhp, exactly the same as the vRS (although power delivery might obviously be different), although on the diesel front it could be a different kettle of fish.

Petrol is a no brainer though:thumbup:!

Yup, I plumped for the L&K for the same reasons: more toys per pound in the UK. Some things I couldn't even see as options for the vRS, only the L&K, like multi-function steering wheel and electric controlled drivers seat (unless the luxury pack available on some other models can be applied?)

I agree - L&K wins on equipment level, however, it would be even better if it had the vRS 18" alloys and the CR engine!

John.

I'm starting to look for a replacement for my mk I vRS. I want one in red with cruse, parking aid and leahter. Not too bothered about maxi dot and other bits, but Skoda do do freee upgrades every now and then, so you never know :thumbup:

Fellwalker, if you want more power, why don't you just get the engine chipped? It'll cost about £300 and take you up to 300bhp, the same as a vRS, although the power delivery may be slightly different as it's a 1.8 as opposed to a 2.0l. Loads of companies will do it and it's a piece of p*ss to do! May even improve your fuel efficiency.

Fellwalker, if you want more power, why don't you just get the engine chipped? It'll cost about £300 and take you up to 300bhp, the same as a vRS, although the power delivery may be slightly different as it's a 1.8 as opposed to a 2.0l. Loads of companies will do it and it's a piece of p*ss to do! May even improve your fuel efficiency.

We wish :)

THanks. I can see from your other posts taht you are a fan of chipping. I have thought about it, but have questions that have never been fully answered.

1. What happens to the insurance? You have modified your car, so unless you tell your insurers your insurance is invalid.

2. Does the vRS have upgraded brakes and different suspension to take advantage of and control that power?

Not sure what you mean about 1.8 v 2.0. Both engines are available in both cars but at 170bhp in the vRS, 140bhp in the L&K. I imagine you are referring to the no brainer petrol versions. I was amazed when i moved to diesel from a petrol 2 litre car what mid range torque it gives, making overtaking easier. Diesel also revs slower, so its a quieter engine at speed. The only downside I have found is the initial standing start. There's a hesitation before it rushes away.

As I mentioned, I really do like the electric memory seats.

As above really, Fellwalker.

I haven't chipped my L&K cos it's brand new and would affect the warranty, but i'll probably get it done after 3 years. I had a 1.8 supercharged Golf G60 which I had chipped. It was very similar, taking it from 160 brake to about 190-195 and it hardly affected my insurance premium. You're best bet is to simply talk to your insurance brokers and just ask them how much it would increase it by. They'll happily tell you as it's a possibilty you may be looking into. I just don't have a problem with chipping as i've done it once, had no problems with it and gave me a faster, more efficient and more economical car. Car makers make an engine and it's management system to cater for all needs to tick as many boxes as possible: chipping allows you to suit the car more to one's personal needs.

Don't know if there are any upgrades the vRS has over the L&K, mechanically wise like larger brakes, but I doubt it'll be anything major, but you are right to look into it.

I may be wrong, but I think you're getting confused between a 1.8l petrol and a 2.0l diesel which are both available in the L&K variant. The vRS version i'm talking about is the 2.0l petrol, which is why I was comparing it to a 1.8t petrol L&K as that's what it'll get close to if I chip mine in 3 years. Don't have experience of diesel cars, but I said that in my original post. I think the 2.0l diesel is 140bhp whereas the 1.8t petrol is 160 bhp. Hope that makes it clearer?

Hi,

Is the L&K available with a choice of leather seating? The brochure I have shows a very light grey leather. I cannot imagine that this is easy to keep. I have a 13 month old who likes to wreck all he touches. Would it be wise setting him loose on light grey leather?

What are the seats in the RS like? Are they as comfortable as regular seats? Are they easy to maintain? I have 5 bad discs in my back so comfort is an issue. Would the ride be too hard in the RS considering the crap roads in rural Ireland?

Thanks

Anthony,

Hi,

Is the L&K available with a choice of leather seating? The brochure I have shows a very light grey leather. I cannot imagine that this is easy to keep. I have a 13 month old who likes to wreck all he touches. Would it be wise setting him loose on light grey leather?

What are the seats in the RS like? Are they as comfortable as regular seats? Are they easy to maintain? I have 5 bad discs in my back so comfort is an issue. Would the ride be too hard in the RS considering the crap roads in rural Ireland?

Thanks

Anthony,

Hi Anthony,

Check out the L&K spec on Skoda website.

Std L&K is "Ivory" leather which I agree would be a bit of a nightmare to keep clean esp. if you have kids!:eek:

However, no cost option is a dark Alcantara/Leather trim which looks really nice - the Alcantara is a type of suede material which is on the seat facings, so is a bit softer and less slippery than leather.

H.T.H

John.

Yeah, my L&K was trimmed in the Onyx leather/alcantara option which means it's all black which gives it a very classy look. I actually preferred the light colour (which looks like bluetac in hue) but didn't choose it for the reasons you gave: keeping it clean! It's possible, but obviously easier in black!

Regarding the seats, yes, the L&K seats are a LOT more confy than the vRS ones in my opinion. When I test drove both models, the vRS suspension was definately harder and the seats had bigger side bolsters which hugged the ribs VERY snuggly, a bit overly in my opinion. I came from a MkII golf G60 with full factory fit electric recaros so was used to side bolsters, but the vRS seats seemed tighter. I put this down to me being a burly 6'2" fireman. However, the wife drove it and without me saying anything, mentioned exactly the same thing about it feeling a little obtrusive on the ribs.

Obviously it's personal choice, but as I wasn't buying a car to rag around windy roads, where being pinned into your seat is helpful, more a motorway cruiser with a bit of comfort on ordinary journeys, I found for comfort the L&K was much confier and better suited to everyday life. vRS for sport, L&K for comfort. Plus the L&K seats are electric memory and heated if you need it!:thumbup:

SWMBO now says the seating in our L&K is a comfier version of her Seat Leon 1.6SX so she's happy.

What are the seats in the RS like?

Are they as comfortable as regular seats?

I have 5 bad discs in my back so comfort is an issue.

Would the ride be too hard in the RS considering the crap roads in rural Ireland?

Anthony,

You are asking questions that only you can answer (preferably after a reasonably long drive in both contenders on your usual roads).

I like my vRS seats, but that doesn't mean you will too.

A lot of people have commented on how much more comfortable the vRS's ride is with Koni FSD dampers.

[Obviously it's personal choice, but as I wasn't buying a car to rag around windy roads, where being pinned into your seat is helpful, more a motorway cruiser with a bit of comfort on ordinary journeys, I found for comfort the L&K was much confier and better suited to everyday life. vRS for sport, L&K for comfort. Plus the L&K seats are electric memory and heated if you need it!:thumbup:

SWMBO now says the seating in our L&K is a comfier version of her Seat Leon 1.6SX so she's happy.

I Would also like to add that the seats in my '08 L&K are far more comfortable and supportive than the fabric seats in my previous '05 octy elegance.

I have done a few long continental stints now without complaint.

The electric memory function is also a great bonus since it always takes ages to get the exact position after the wife borrows the car.....

Hi,

Thanks

Anthony,

Personally I wouldn't discount the grey leather as I suspect it would be easier to clean than the alcantara / leather option. I had light grey leather seats in a previous Audi and never had any issues with keeping it clean as you just wipe over the surfaces with a damp cloth.

The problems with your 13 month old could easily be overcome by velcroing their arms to the child seat :D

As for the ride comfort in the vRS, unless your budget will stretch to fitting a set of Koni FSD's, I suspect you may live to regret it. When I got my vRS TDi Estate (with 18" wheels), I also tested the Golf GT (on 17" wheels) which rode more softly and a Seat Leon FR diesel (on 17" wheels) which seemingly had no suspension whatsoever, but in no way would I say the vRS has a comfortable, cosseting ride!

What would be ideal is if Skoda did an L&K with the 170 CRD engine and the DSG gearbox.

What would be ideal is if Skoda did an L&K with the 170 CRD engine and the DSG gearbox.

That would be the real deal!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help. I just received New Superb brochures in the post form Skoda Ireland. It looks pretty sweet. My biggest problem with the Superb would be massive depreciation. The old model did not fare well here when it came to trade in time.

Has anyone got a problem with the quality of seat fabric on 07 Elegance? Mine has discoloured in places and looks quite cheap. All other Octavia's I have had did not have this problem. Car has only 40K miles and clean clothes worn always.

Thanks

Anthony

[

Has anyone got a problem with the quality of seat fabric on 07 Elegance? Mine has discoloured in places and looks quite cheap. All other Octavia's I have had did not have this problem. Car has only 40K miles and clean clothes worn always.

Thanks

Anthony

I had enormous problems with the black fabric on my previous '05 Octy elegance. The main problem I had was getting caught in the rain and sitting on the seat with a wet jacket. Lets face it , it happens to us all in this British climate. The fabric soon became blotchy and no amount of cleaning would remedy it.

As a matter of fact that was the main reason why I traded it for an L&K with leather/Alcantara.

No more problems.

Yeah, in response to jlwah, alcantara is quite easy to keep clean: just give it a wipe like leather. IIRC, the grey leather option comes with matching light coloured carpet throughout. THAT put me off as well, although it was a gutter as the grey interior is REALLY stunning.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Decision has been made and order placed. Made the mistake of testing the Superb with 170CR Tdi engine and loved it.

Have ordered an Elegance in black metallic with cream leather, black floor carpeting, park assist and rear door blinds. Will not have it until March 09 due to waiting list, but cant wait. Hope I have done the right thing!!!

Thanks for all your help as always!

Anthony,