Horrid noise from engine on full lock

raveon

I was wondering if anybidy else has a problem with a 1.9TDi 2004 superb which has a horrible belt noise on full lock of the power steering? If you go from lock to lock you hear a slight squeal but if you hold it on lock the noise is totally horrible. I thought this might of been a power steering pump issue and replaced it along with the belt and tensioner whilst it was stripped down that far. But the noise is still present and I've now noticed if you hold it on full lock you can actually see the power steering pump trying to lock up and makes the belt go slack. Any ideas?

Dave

If you want to change the pulley you officially need two splined keys - a 3" long 12 point to hold the rotor shaft and a splined sleeve to loosen the pulley nut.

You can manage without the 12 point if you strip the alternator and put the claws in a (padded) vise, but you will need the larger splined sleeve. If you unclip the plastic cover from the pulley, you can see the splined "nut". I took an imprint with bluetack and went to the tool stores where I work, but it may not be as easy for most people. Alternator reconditioners will almost certainly have the sleeve - if you take the alternator to them they might just swap the pulleys over for the price of a beer...

It's a while since I last changed one (on a Passat) but I think they are made by INA - the bearing people.

rotodiesel.