XP Pro Service Pack 3

ncarring

Any views? Anybody tried it, had good or bad experiences? Just rather wary of accepting service packs via Windows Update, until I hear some feedback about them. Did a little googling, but not very convinced by what I found, yet.

Thanks

I installed it on my old laptop, everything ran OK except for one thing - I got serious problems with the printer server in my network at the office. Sheer luck if I could get anything printed. Uninstalled and everything worked fine again. Our IT dept. has not yet started to install SP3 on the office computers.

Installed it on my sister's home PC a few weeks ago (but that was XP home) and there everything worked fine, including print jobs (but no network involved).

No probs on this little fella! :thumbup: Only just got it (2nd hand), so SP3 just went on with all the other outstanding updates. Only criticism is that you can't remove OE entirely - only the shortcuts - although this might be a general XP thing as I'm a Win2k-loving Luddite by preference!!! (Guess what the first thing that gets changed on any XP machine I use is? ;) )

Any views? Anybody tried it, had good or bad experiences? Just rather wary of accepting service packs via Windows Update, until I hear some feedback about them. Did a little googling, but not very convinced by what I found, yet.

Thanks

Hi ncarring,

My son Soviet junior, had this SP3 happen to his laptop yesterday evening, and he is now happy with it, as performance is not changing, and it is fine. If he is soon having some problem then I will tell you of this, but it is now looking fine.

Why are you being wary over this one, when it is happening to thousands of PC's now?

Regards for you.

Soviet:rolleyes::thumbup:

Why are you being wary over this one, when it is happening to thousands of PC's now?

Must admit, the head of IT at my old works always kept the network 1 version of Windows / Office etc. behind 'current' to minimise the risk of unidentified bugs. Better the Devil you know, etc. etc...

:thumbup:

No probs on my home brew PC or on my HP lappy.

We're not running it at work yet because we have to ensure it won't bork any of about 200 different apps.

Made my Toshiba laptop hang everytime it came out of standby. Uninstalled it and the problem went away. Mind you the machine seriously needs overhauling, it's had all manner of rhubarb has been installed and uninstalled over the last 4 years.

Made my Toshiba laptop hang everytime it came out of standby. Uninstalled it and the problem went away. Mind you the machine seriously needs overhauling, it's had all manner of rhubarb has been installed and uninstalled over the last 4 years.

Sounds like a Bios issue. Are your running the latest version? My desktop installed the latest version as soon as it saw SP3 to fix issues (vendor auto updater ap)

Just rolled SP3 to a few thousand PCs aged new to 4 years old as a fresh image. All our testing of over a thousand apps showed no issues.

Haven't tried updating currently installed SP2s yet as a forced install, but many of my userbase have updated their own with no issues reported.

AFAIK SP3 is basically a roll up of SP2 plus all the subsequent patches.

I have heard a few cases where people have had problems when they downloaded SP3 and patched their PCs. It then would not accept any more patches. Uninstalling this then getting the SP3 patch via Windows Update works fine.