How do I destroy my door lock?

rwbaldwin

My driver side door mechanism is jammed so that I can't open the door.

The key doesn't unlock the door although it does lock/unlock the other doors.

I've got the trim panel off and the internal or external cables pull on the levers which move as expected.

I assume I need to destroy the plastic parts of the lock module, but what then?

Someone must have had to do this before.

Anyone?

How am interested as to how you got the trim panel off - did you need to destory that as it is held on with a number of torx screws around the sides/bottom.

Unless the car is deadlocked can you pull on the internal release cable to open the door?

Have examined the passenger side door, I realised that once all the accessible stuff was removed I could break the clips without undoing the screws.

The internal and external door handles move the levers correctly (compared to passenger side door). The door lock lever makes the right sound when moved up and down so I guess the door may be deadlocked.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

... and I didn't have to destroy the lock.

I thought before trashing the lock, I might as well try everything and anything.

What released it was the following...

Take the connector off the controller and take the two wires to the motor to a current limited bench power supply. Take the voltage up to 18V and slowly increase the current limit until the lock mechanism was really clunking. After about 20 lock/unlock cycles the lock released (took about 5 minutes because I allowed 15 seconds between cycles - didn't want the motor to burn out)