Gearbox Questions - Looking to buy a TDI

kerrplunk

Hi,

I am considering buying a Octy TDI 110. I have been warned that the gearboxes are weak, is this true?

Looking through this informative forum, it appears to be the SDI gearboxes which are more trouble. Is this right, or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

Also, if the TDI 'boxes are weak, then at what sort of age/mileage do they start to cause problems? I have my eye on a couple of cars, one is a 51 plate with approx 78k and another is an 02 with 56k.

I really would like to avoid too many huge bills, as money is always tight (like me!)

Erm I put a good number of miles on the TDI 110 and didn't have any serious problems with the gear box, short of a freak plastic clip breakage on one of the wires to it. Easily and cheaply replaced.

I'd say they are fine as long as you do gear oil changes at about 50k miles with VAG oil and don't do the racing from the lights all the time. Worth adjusting the linkages every so often too I'd guess.

I know a guy that owns 3 Octavia TDi 110bhp estates that are taxis, 233000,198000,and 146000 miles without a gearbox problem,these cars are on the road 24/7 with loads of different drivers.

The box is supposed to be the same as the Golf and they do not seem to have a problem unless driven badly.

Correct, the SDi has a weaker box and yes I have had one in that had a syncro going.

The TDi box is good. I do lube up the cables/control and I drop the oil and use Redline with an anti wear/anti leak premium additive of my choice. But that's just me. Even just changing the oil should put you ahead of everyone else, and everyone else is mostly fine.

Greg.

Hi,

I am considering buying a Octy TDI 110. I have been warned that the gearboxes are weak, is this true?

Looking through this informative forum, it appears to be the SDI gearboxes which are more trouble. Is this right, or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

Also, if the TDI 'boxes are weak, then at what sort of age/mileage do they start to cause problems? I have my eye on a couple of cars, one is a 51 plate with approx 78k and another is an 02 with 56k.

I really would like to avoid too many huge bills, as money is always tight (like me!)

The SDI boxes are generally perceived to be the weaker link, but only a little. It was exaggerated by the fact that so many taxi drivers in the UK (i'm talking tens of thousands) bought mk1 SDI's cause they were only 10k BRAND NEW back in the day, and they rattled shedloads of miles on em very quickly, as taxis do. I've heard of them going by 100k, and some getting to 200k before needing overhauled. Theres no patern that i've seen or heard of.

Have some old Y reg SDi,s in my town and are around 350000 miles.None yet have had gearboxes.One 51 plate TDi gave up at 165000 miles with a noisey second gear.Had a new gearbox put in then the engine blew up shortly afterwards and the car was scrapped :eek:

One 51 plate TDi gave up at 165000 miles with a noisey second gear.Had a new gearbox put in then the engine blew up shortly afterwards and the car was scrapped :eek:

Don't say that, mine is an early 2001 with 136.6k on the clock - this year could finish it off! :eek: