Play on rack

Lee28

Ive got a 2001 mk1 octy tdi and last mot was told about slight play on o/s track rod end, just checked out before this mot and found that its not actually the t.r.e. but the inner part of the tie rod at the steering rack side inside the rubber gaitor.

Anyone know if this can be repaired or is it a full rack replacement?:confused:

Any advice greatly appreciated as ive heard racks are fortunes:eek:

I have the same issue with both inner track rods on my Mk1 Oct Tdi. It took a while to identify the source of the knocking sound. The car even passed two MOT's!! I now have the parts (track rods, gaiter and rack rod ends - total £135 approx). I am however anticipating, due to the restricted access, having to take the lower suspension arms off to gain access to the inner joint to unscrew it from the rack. I understand that there may be a special tool to facilitate the removal without removing the lower suspension arms but I have not been able to locate one. If anyone knows of any tips I would be grateful? Good luck with yours.

I know what you mean ... mine passed 2 mots too , with advisory on the track rod end. it seems a common mistake of the testers.

its not as bad as it first appears tho, as once the plastic tray was removed access was small but manageable and the linkages just wind out from the rack itself... not sure about your model, but as far as im aware should be a similar setup... thanks and good luck also

:)Thank-you for the reasuring words and guidance. I am even more optimistic now. I have also made a makeshift too by shortening the chain (using the tool I had from when I used to maintain my bicycle chain!)on my oil filter wrench to allow leaverage with a torque wrench. All I have to do is make a bit of time and get on with it!

Cheers