Mitchell Skoda Cheshire

I thought I would share my recent experiece at Mitchell Skoda Cheshire with you all on the off chance you were debating purchasing a car from them.

I have recently taken delivery of my 07 vrs tsfi which I love, however, Mitchell Skoda is a different kettle of fish. They delivered the car with scratches on it that i had been assured would be seen to and rectified prior to delivery (I live in york). I contacted them and the best they said they would do is send me a touch up pen and I could do it myself!

Prior to purchasing the car I enquired when the next service was due. I was told the car was on a variable servicing setting and that the car would require servicing in 5400 miles. I agreed to buy the car. What they neglected to tell me was that the next service was due in 17 days (ie 5400 miles or 17 days whichever comes first). I have just got off the phone to them and was told 'tough luck' thats your look out ! I never expected a main skoda dealer to behave so badly. Watch out!

In the end I contacted skoda uk about the whole affair , and whilst they made all the right noises they ultimately agreed that it was very poor service but a civil issue between myself and the dealership. It turns out that on my invoice the dealership have described the sale as 'trade sale' . They didnt put it through the workshop etc before delivery and have told skoda that teh vehicle was 'sold a seen'. This is an 07 plate vrs ! All asked was what there cheapest cash price was! the devil is all in the detail....

• 1 year later...

Well, you get whay you pay for. If you want it as cheap as possible, be prepared to get it exactly as it was on the forecourt, warts & all.

Having spent all my working life in the motor trade, I can assure you if you are buying a car as a 'trade sale, it'll have nothing done to it. That's why dealer prices are so high, to allow them to prepare the cars & add a warranty etc, if you give them nothing for the car, you'll get nothing back.

Oh, & by the way, Parkers guide is nothing more than bog roll to those who turn up at my garage trying to use it as a bargaining tool!!

Well, you get whay you pay for. If you want it as cheap as possible, be prepared to get it exactly as it was on the forecourt, warts & all.

Having spent all my working life in the motor trade, I can assure you if you are buying a car as a 'trade sale, it'll have nothing done to it. That's why dealer prices are so high, to allow them to prepare the cars & add a warranty etc, if you give them nothing for the car, you'll get nothing back.

Oh, & by the way, Parkers guide is nothing more than bog roll to those who turn up at my garage trying to use it as a bargaining tool!!

If the buyer is a private individual then there is no such thing as a 'trade sale' or 'sold as seen' (Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002). If fact a garage trying to dodge its legal obligations by saying it is making a 'trade sate' when it knows the customer is not a trader (i.e. not buying the car to re-sell) could be prosecuted under the 2006 Consumer Protection Regulations (CPRs).

Obviously with minor issues like a few scratches, where there was some verbal agreement, you are on a hiding to nothing and would be better to call one of the 'smart' paint repair guys. But if you have more serious problems with the car then don't hesitate to get back to the dealer and don't let them palm you off with 'trade sale' nonsense.

Which garage do you work for?

Steve

I think sometimes it comes down to one individual. Get somebody who understands customer relations, and the fact you might not only be a current customer but a future one, and you seem to get well treated. The folk at West Sussex Skoda were just like that.

Edited by ednmra

I think sometimes it comes down to one indivdual.

I'm sure that's the case.

I bought my car from Mitchell and am really pleased with the customer service I received. I don't have any complaints at all.

As an example, some people on this forum have had difficult arguments about the lack of a spare wheel on new Octavias and the way their dealers have handled that situation. My car was supplied without a spare, but Mitchell just took one out of another car and gave it to me, no problem, no extra charge.

It sounds like the person you dealt with had no idea about good customer service. I'd suggest you write to the manager with your complaints.

I'm sure that's the case.

I bought my car from Mitchell and am really pleased with the customer service I received. I don't have any complaints at all.

As an example, some people on this forum have had difficult arguments about the lack of a spare wheel on new Octavias and the way their dealers have handled that situation. My car was supplied without a spare, but Mitchell just took one out of another car and gave it to me, no problem, no extra charge.

It sounds like the person you dealt with had no idea about good customer service. I'd suggest you write to the manager with your complaints.

Flashscaz, you'd better check you have a spare wheel !!